Peco PL 11 Side mounted point motor

Started by RonDB, February 11, 2019, 11:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonDB

Can anyone give any tips on using the PL11 point motor with N gauge points, seeing that the motor is designed to be used with  OO.

Ron

Malc

I've not used then with n Gauge, but did a 00 layout for a friend. We used cork underlay and found that the motor had to be exactly level with the point for it to work reliably. Using pins to hold the point and the motor down did not work. Eventually we relaid the track directly onto the baseboard. Then the point motor worked. I have used both Seep and Peko underboard motors before without any problems.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

cjdodd

I used to use these too on my old layout as i forgot to drill holes under my points .... DOH

They do need to be level with the point, so yes you will need to raise them a bit or lower them into the base board a bit depending on your track height.

I found the odd line side hut or bush hid them well.

sjgarth

I remembered reading something and checked, it was Hatton online shop which says about PL11 point motors;
"N gauge points will need to be raised by approx 2mm for the drivebar to engage correctly with the tiebar."
So, as previously mentioned, either raise track or drop the motor by 2mm.
Yours

Steve

RonDB

Thanks for the advice, I have found some mails going back to 2015 giving much the same infor.
I might also have a look at the gaugemaster seep  ones they are all around the price .

Ron

Caz

Here's a link to the old thread on these side mounted point motors with a description of what I've done to make them work reliably (apologies for the duff picture in the original thread).

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41304.msg507070#msg507070
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

carpy

i have used pl11 motors on my layout with 100 % operation. i drilled a tiney hole through the small pointed  part of the point and glued  a short  length of wire into the hole with the wire bent back on itself so that it  was  about 1/8  above  the plastic point. this stops the pl11 from jumping off  it when activated.
this is of course on my  ngauge layout  the point  and the motor are glued  flat on the base board.
hope this cures  any  problems       carpy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations