what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tutenkhamunsleeping

jd

Quote from: Nick on January 25, 2014, 02:37:16 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on January 23, 2014, 11:56:37 PM
It's best cut like teddy bear fur - between the filaments.

You cut up teddy bears???  :goggleeyes: What sort of cruel, depraved monster are you??? :D :D

WOW POOR BEARS  :'(

Right now I'm wiring up my pm1 point motors ready to be fitted to the points and choc blocks. :confused1:

ParkeNd

Quote from: Nick on January 25, 2014, 02:37:16 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on January 23, 2014, 11:56:37 PM
It's best cut like teddy bear fur - between the filaments.

You cut up teddy bears???  :goggleeyes: What sort of cruel, depraved monster are you??? :D :D

My wife used to make teddy bears - if you didn't cut the fabric between the filaments you got bald seams!! Likewise, cutting the Noch grass matting by bending the intended line of cut at 90 deg and cutting between the filaments means you still have tall grass at the edges.

ParkeNd

Quote from: daveg on January 25, 2014, 09:36:08 AM
Quote from: ParkeNd on January 24, 2014, 11:56:47 PM
Update on the Gaugemaster/Noch grass. By gently waving a flat brush through it with almost dry acrylic paint on it you can add seed heads, worn patches, and slightly different tones like sun dried etc.

A couple pics would be appreciated!  :camera:

Dave G

Will publish a couple of pics soon.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Just been drilling holes in the baseboard for additional block feeds, adding insulating joiners (I hate removing Kato Unijoiners!) and taking a saw to some double-track concrete sleepered sections to make single versions.  Having quite a good time, apart from the Unijoiners, but then I haven't got to the wiring yet :(

Nick

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

tutenkhamunsleeping

http://youtu.be/B4xYN9eNNOI

Spent the afternoon wiring a few block sections in and then testing them.  Lots and lots of testing :D

Then I removed my temporary return loop, ready for the next phase of track laying.  Quickly realised, however, that I'd not got a driver's eye record of it, so bunged it back down and whizzed the trusty CamTruck around 8)

Newportnobby

Really enjoyed that - thank you.
Especially when the Deltic passed in the opposite direction :thumbsup:

ParkeNd

Painting and making up a Ratio 260 signal. Did it and planted it but what a fight. The parts are minute - the plastic didn't want to stick with anything - and the pivot hole in the signal arm and retainer were half the dia they needed to be.

But it looks good in place on the layout which is remarkable since I could hardly see it when it was right in front of me as I wielded the Plastic Magic in its pin applicator.

PS. Made up the GWR water crane last week. The Fire Devil that comes with that is ludicrous. Smaller than a ladybird and supposed to be assembled from 7 pieces. That went out the window when two of the parts broke.

lil chris

Just spent most of the afternoon and evening laying the track for my fiddle yard. Sore rail-joiner finger now as a result, thats the price you have to pay I suppose. I need to connect all the track to the bus and install point motors now.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Wingman mothergoose

Right now I'm trying to finish my loco shed area, I've almost completed my loco shed, just waiting to fit lights and smoke chimneys, and I will imminently be making the shed floor and hard standing using polyfilla as a base. When that has cured I'll be removing sleepers from between rails to simulate inspection pits. I've gotten fed up of waiting for Farish/Scenecraft to release their GC water crane though, so I'm gonna have to attempt either the kit (Knightwing I think) or scratchbuild.

CarriageShed

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 27, 2014, 11:29:37 PM
Painting and making up a Ratio 260 signal. Did it and planted it but what a fight. The parts are minute - the plastic didn't want to stick with anything - and the pivot hole in the signal arm and retainer were half the dia they needed to be.

But it looks good in place on the layout which is remarkable since I could hardly see it when it was right in front of me as I wielded the Plastic Magic in its pin applicator.

PS. Made up the GWR water crane last week. The Fire Devil that comes with that is ludicrous. Smaller than a ladybird and supposed to be assembled from 7 pieces. That went out the window when two of the parts broke.

I have had exactly the same experience with glue not wanting to stick anything, this time planting brass parts on a resin body. It's really frustrating when the part that you took quite a while to get into position and secure falls off a day later. :D

Newportnobby

Just been giving my Ivatt 2MT, 4F, class 22 and Warship a trot round the branch line, purely in the interest of making sure everything works, you understand :whistle: :angel:

Malc

Drilling holes in the baseboard for the house lights.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

bees

Quote from: newportnobby on January 28, 2014, 02:15:51 PM
Just been giving my Ivatt 2MT, 4F, class 22 and Warship a trot round the branch line, purely in the interest of making sure everything works, you understand :whistle: :angel:

Of course!  :thumbsup:

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations