what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgiesimon

texhorse

I've just started work on the second of three industrial units for my American layout.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

mereman

Just about finished track laying, now for the rest of the droppers (watch out hands you are going to get burnt again :D )
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

4x2

An annoying piece of track is just about to be eradicated on Black Sheep Lane... Sounds serious, but it's a sharp curve that doesn't have to be - so a little piece of flexi will stop the locos from slowing on the tight curve, adding to the reliability.

As it's behind the backscene there's no scenery to worry about, maybe a little ballasting as it is near a bridge.

Also spend a couple of hours fiddling with the Dapol magnetic couplings... They work well eventually, but you need to be quite forceful to get them in the NEM pockets... leading to lost springs ! :veryangry:

When I get some more, i'm gluing the blighters in... ;)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Jack

Enjoying a right good cuppa before bed!

Having spent most of this morning cleaning track and the afternoon/evening cleaning/servicing all my locos, of which 4 of the 15 needed a complete strip down, and in the case of two of them, more than once  :'(, I'm plum tuckered out.

On the bright side SWMBO is working tomorrow so I might just have a good testing session of all my rolling stock. That will be after I've earned some brownie points by doing the ironing :angel:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

1936ace

At work now but today had the morning to myself and managed to overlay the printed trackplan on the board after i found the platform was too narrow. So after some helpful replies from ngf the plan was cut and rejoined to allow for the right distance.

I then got to work and laid the entire track plan for barts end which is 2400 by 600.

i took some photos having been asked by some here and will upload them on the layout section when i get home from work

bart

moogle

Nothing on the layout but I have been tinkering with figures and road vehicles.
Done some work on my 1908 Vauxhall 12/16 hp motor car.

Its one of these: http://ned.ronet.ru/0/Vauxhall%2012%2716%20HP%20%281906-10%29.jpg

Bodywork is bashed from a casting of a 1909 Renault (I think) that was from the late Dominique Pion's range picked up at an exhibition years ago.
Tonight I've made the starting handle from a tiny piece of handrail wire!  :laugh3:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

daveg

Terrific - look forward to the pics, but what about those hats?  :D

Dave G

Cooper

Just spent the last three hours cleaning all the stock and rail before attending our second exhibition this weekend.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16662.msg164983#msg164983

If you're in the area come along and say hello!

GeeBee

Still re designing the track work to fit the  new location for Martini holt on version 3 at the moment
Graham  :dunce:  :hmmm:

johnlambert

Cutting out sleepers and installing Dapol magnets for hands-free uncoupling.  Wish I'd known about magnets before I glued down my track but such is life...

4x2

Quote from: johnlambert on October 04, 2013, 10:01:52 PM
Cutting out sleepers and installing Dapol magnets for hands-free uncoupling.  Wish I'd known about magnets before I glued down my track but such is life...
Quick tip - don't put them in too deep, I reckon about 1mm - 2mm below the top of the rail. I didn't think of it until after I glued it all in, it was a nightmare to sort... :smackedface:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

johnlambert

Quote from: 4x2 on October 04, 2013, 10:17:47 PM
Quote from: johnlambert on October 04, 2013, 10:01:52 PM
Quick tip - don't put them in too deep, I reckon about 1mm - 2mm below the top of the rail. I didn't think of it until after I glued it all in, it was a nightmare to sort... :smackedface:

This is actually the second lot I'm installing.  I've got them in at sleeper level and so far I've had no problems.  Biggest difficulty was installing the magnets in the run around loop (which is also part of the main oval), which I've just done without lifting track but I'm glad I have springy Woodland Scenincs underlay as I could pull the sleepers out from under the rails, glue the magnets in place then trim the sleepers back - removing the inner plastic part of the rail chair - so that the track has some support.  For one of the sidings where I wanted a magnet I decided it was easier to lift the track as I had to replace a piece of settrack with a straight length of flexi as it seems easier to cut the sleepers on flexi-track.

I've got one more magnet and I'm not sure where to place it...

mk1gtstu

Been doing some repaints on a rake of mk1 coaches into BR blue parcels/newspapers livery.  :)
My Box File Layout (South Wales Valleys Colliery) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.0

Porthkerry (A South Wales layout in BR Blue) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39654.0

Abercwm Colliery (South Wales Area) https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47521.0

mr bachmann

started a new HCD layout , on the east coast this time - i've already done the Cumbrian coast line ,  that reminds me must start a thread on it ....

mr bachmann

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations