GWR Saddle Tank

Started by Jollybob, October 05, 2015, 11:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollybob

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there are any model kits of a N Gauge GWR saddle tank, like the 850 class or something similar out there?

Rob.

keithfre

Peco used to do a Peckett saddle tank kit, don't know if it's still available.

EtchedPixels

Hasn't been for years. I actually approached Peco about it and they said they weren't going to do more, they weren't going to sell the tooling either, and would I instead like to buy some advertising in their magazine  :doh:

It's miles out of scale although it fitted the really good (but now mindbogglingly expensive and hard to find) Arnold 0-4-0 chassis. There were also some other saddle tanks in the range more appropriate to some of the GWR acquired locomotives.

There is a kit for a Peckett available from N Brass but it's not for the faint hearted (although it's a lovely kit and even makes the Swansea Harbour Trust locos).

Will J did a beautiful 3D printed GWR saddle tank but I don't think he ever made the print available

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/351/entry-10030-gwr-toplight-carriages-and-saddle-tank-close-up-pics/

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jollybob

I'm not too fussed if it's a little out of scale or not accurate. Speaking of not accurate, I was thinking maybe I could try and convert a Graham Farish 57xx Pannier Tank into a saddle tank?
I don't know how accurate that would be?

Rob.

Karhedron

Kernow are producing a GWR 1361 class in 00 via DJ Models. I am not privy to the agreement between them but since Dave is also working on an N gauge range, we may be able to hold out a hope that this saddle tank might one day migrate down to N gauge.  :angel:

Original announcement here on RMWeb. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89145-kernow-model-rail-centre-to-produce-gwr-1361-0-6-0-saddle-tank/
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Jollybob

Quote from: Karhedron on October 07, 2015, 12:09:18 PM
Kernow are producing a GWR 1361 class in 00 via DJ Models. I am not privy to the agreement between them but since Dave is also working on an N gauge range, we may be able to hold out a hope that this saddle tank might one day migrate down to N gauge.  :angel:

Original announcement here on RMWeb. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89145-kernow-model-rail-centre-to-produce-gwr-1361-0-6-0-saddle-tank/

A 1361 in N gauge would look great, It would cover a period from 1910 to the 1960's and fill lots of gaps in the N gauge market.

Les1952

There is a resin kit by Dean Sidings for a GWR open-cab saddletank which fits on a Farish 0-6-0 chassis, 57xx or old Jinty.

When I was still building an analogue railway I bought one.  I'm not sure if it will ever be completed as I'm now DCC- motor in open cab is one thing, but I'm not sure where the chip will end up.

Les

Jollybob

Quote from: Les1952 on October 08, 2015, 01:47:06 AM
There is a resin kit by Dean Sidings for a GWR open-cab saddletank which fits on a Farish 0-6-0 chassis, 57xx or old Jinty.

When I was still building an analogue railway I bought one.  I'm not sure if it will ever be completed as I'm now DCC- motor in open cab is one thing, but I'm not sure where the chip will end up.

Les

:thankyousign:

Thanks Les, That sounds ideal.
I can't find a website though, do you know if they are still around?

Rob.

Karhedron

Dave is still around but he does not have a website so snail mail or phone are your options for contacting him.

Dean Sidings
No1 The Langetts
Bream Road
St. Briavels
Gloucestershire
GL15 6TL

01594 530405 (I think this is the current number)

Kit is for a 1701 class saddle tank of 1891 vintage and does indeed fit the Farish Pannier or Jinty chassis.

Someone had a crack at one on RMWeb a while back.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/748/entry-8526-saddle-tank-part-1/
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Jollybob

Quote from: Karhedron on October 08, 2015, 11:58:01 AM
Dave is still around but he does not have a website so snail mail or phone are your options for contacting him.

Dean Sidings
No1 The Langetts
Bream Road
St. Briavels
Gloucestershire
GL15 6TL

01594 530405 (I think this is the current number)

Kit is for a 1701 class saddle tank of 1891 vintage and does indeed fit the Farish Pannier or Jinty chassis.

Someone had a crack at one on RMWeb a while back.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/748/entry-8526-saddle-tank-part-1/

:thankyousign:

Thank you. I sent him a letter so should hear back soon.

If I'm able to get one I'll see if I can put up a review on the NGF. Lets hope all goes well.

MinZaPint

Mention of GWR tanks and Arnold chassis had me rummaging in my store box to uncover this, bought in the late 70's and still to do!

Ok it's not a saddle tank but it does have the Arnold running gear, I'll get round to building it one day  :angel:

Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Jollybob

35 years? I'd start building it now before its too late.    :o

Jollybob

Hi everyone.
Good news, I spoke to Dave Slater today and he told me that all his n gauge kits are available. His GWR saddle tank is priced at £35.50 + £4.50 p&p. So I'm sending a cheque off now.

:thumbsup:

Karhedron

Quote from: Jollybob on October 16, 2015, 01:39:25 PM
Good news, I spoke to Dave Slater today and he told me that all his n gauge kits are available. His GWR saddle tank is priced at £35.50 + £4.50 p&p. So I'm sending a cheque off now.

Glad you found one. Don't forget to let us know how the build goes.  :photospleasesign:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations