Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

Quote from: Bealman on July 05, 2019, 09:13:25 AM
The S&D blue livery has been a favourite of mine. I wouldn't weather it either.  :thumbsup:

I'd repaint it black - the correct livery for this loco ;)

TalyllynJon

Quote from: CarriageShed on July 08, 2019, 12:49:16 PM
The S&D blue livery has been a favourite of mine. I wouldn't weather it either.  :thumbsup:

Don't even joke! I don't know what it's like in the model railway world, but on the full-sized railways there are whole armies of boggle-eyed fruitcakes who work themselves into a frothing frenzy every time somebody dares to paint a loco in anything other than BR livery!!!!

scottmitchell74

Quote from: TalyllynJon on July 04, 2019, 04:55:30 PM

So I've been slowly collecting stock for my planned layout, set in mid-Wales. Well that's the theory anyway. In practice I keep going 'off script'!

Of course now I'm going to need a train for it to pull, which could be a challenge. Best bet is probably to look out for old Grafar 4 wheel coaches in S&D livery - but they seem to go for silly money (what were they made out of - solid gold?)

It's utterly gorgeous!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

TalyllynJon

Quote from: CarriageShed on July 08, 2019, 12:49:16 PM

Ahhhhhh! - I was being a bit slow on the uptake yesterday (not unusual I'm afraid!). Just been looking at a couple of books and you're absolutely right - the 3Fs were painted in lined blue, but the 4Fs were only ever unlined black.

In a strange way that makes me like it even more! One of the reasons for buying it was that it reminds me of the S&D Trust's 7F no.88, when it was also inaccurately painted in S&D blue livery. Personally I always loved seeing it in blue and was sad when they repainted it in BR livery a couple of years ago. I know it isn't accurate - but, the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust are bound to want a blue engine and with no suitable locos surviving the 7F is the closest they could get (plus, of course, no. 89 also survives and is painted a more authentic black).

Jeff_W

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: Jeff_W on July 13, 2019, 11:04:52 PM
Bought the new Kato ICE 4.

A lovely looking train. Probably runs more reliably than the real ones! (I am a frequent overseas traveller to Germany and despair at DBahn sometimes)
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Jeff_W

Quote from: DarrwestLU6 on July 15, 2019, 05:57:51 PM

A lovely looking train. Probably runs more reliably than the real ones! (I am a frequent overseas traveller to Germany and despair at DBahn sometimes)

Thanks!

I've never heard about the reliability of this train or any issues they have. I am kinda envious of the accessibility of passenger rail in Europe. I've ridden a few trains, all on museums, save for a Norfolk Southern steam excursion on the CNO&TP in 2014. I have to drive at least 2 hours to ride Amtrak, and the closest train (the Cardinal?) makes its stops in the middle of the night. I can also drive west for about 4 hours and catch Amtrak, either the Illini/Saluki from DuQuoin/Carbondale,IL to Chicago, which runs in daylight, or the middle of the night City of New Orleans, which stops in my home state at Fulton,KY. Not viable options!

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: Jeff_W on July 15, 2019, 06:28:48 PM

Thanks!

I've never heard about the reliability of this train or any issues they have. I am kinda envious of the accessibility of passenger rail in Europe. I've ridden a few trains, all on museums, save for a Norfolk Southern steam excursion on the CNO&TP in 2014. I have to drive at least 2 hours to ride Amtrak, and the closest train (the Cardinal?) makes its stops in the middle of the night. I can also drive west for about 4 hours and catch Amtrak, either the Illini/Saluki from DuQuoin/Carbondale,IL to Chicago, which runs in daylight, or the middle of the night City of New Orleans, which stops in my home state at Fulton,KY. Not viable options!

But the USA put a man on the moon 50 years ago this week. And we need to reduce CO2. And planes are full. So how about some nice 300mph dead straight High Speed Rail?

I hear California and New York State are experimenting with high speed rail - will it take off?

I also found this video: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/07/why-is-there-no-high-speed-rail-in-the-us.html what do you think?

(Sorry mods this is off topic - Started a new post at
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45898.0)
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Hailstone

I have managed to aquire 2 of DR Al's locos, 1 is a Princess pacific, the other a 7F 0-8-0 otherwise known as an "Austin Seven". not really my region, but I will plead rule 1 happily as they are both exquisite.

Regards,

Alex

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Jeff_W on July 13, 2019, 11:04:52 PM
Bought the new Kato ICE 4.

Nice, it's a set that's on my list.  Maybe post it in the equivalent thread for Continental stuff?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Hailstone

crewearpley40

locos look exquisite indeed. please do not give me the excuse to want to bring the dmu round.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: TalyllynJon on July 04, 2019, 04:55:30 PM

So I've been slowly collecting stock for my planned layout, set in mid-Wales. Well that's the theory anyway. In practice I keep going 'off script'!

Of course now I'm going to need a train for it to pull, which could be a challenge. Best bet is probably to look out for old Grafar 4 wheel coaches in S&D livery - but they seem to go for silly money (what were they made out of - solid gold?)

So what looks to be 2x suitable 4 wheel coaches have just gone up for sale on the Facebook N'porium group.

Skyline2uk

Webbo

Here are Thomas, Diesel, and Percy, the latest additions to Deadwood's locomotive fleet. A gift from my friend, Veronica. I'm round the Moon with them.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations