what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

Please do let us know any findings and conclusions.

Nick

Fitted a TrainTech arc welding effect in the engine shed, which has been sitting around for ages and is the first positive development on  the layout for the longest time.... :)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Platy767

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 11, 2021, 11:31:22 AM
Please do let us know any findings and conclusions.

So, I was distracted in the morning, but got to the layout after lunch.

The first test with all the feeds on and controller at max showed there were no short circuits. A run with an old Arnold diesel identified one siding near the front corner had the polarity reversed. With that fixed and a track clean a run by the company tram over the entire track showed it was all working.
Here's the tram in the bay and approaching the summit.

The tram went off and a Minitrix 0-6-0T was tried. It is the shortest wheelbase loco I have and the point frogs are not powered as yet. I wanted to see if the Unifrog points needed to have a powered frog to operate - they don't. The "dead" zone on the Unifrog point is not particularly large. The 0-6-0T did run very roughly and stall on a point when running into the diverging path due to a very poor alignment of the point, the IRC and the track, but this was very slightly re-aligned and smoothed.

So, all good. The layout is about as large as I could make in one piece (1620mm * 800mm) and still be able to lift and move it. Some scenery will probably follow at some stage.

Bealman

Nice work, Mark. Good to have something to do during this lockdown, isn't it?  :thumbsup:

They are unifrog points, then? I haven't really investigated them. They don't look as bad as I imagined!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on July 12, 2021, 08:54:25 AM
Nice work, Mark. Good to have something to do during this lockdown, isn't it?  :thumbsup:

I'll always have something to build!. My "to make" list of kits would probably keep me occupied for many years... and as you have found with the Loriot, it's more than just gluing a few pieces together. Add couplers, undercoat, top coat, and the decals.

I have re-used some of my old Electrofrog points because I only had 6 of the Unifrog Medium points (bought for a non-started piano line layout).
The Unifrog points complicate the DC wiring a bit if dead sections are needed. Both exit tracks are live so a point can't be used to isolate adjoining tracks without an IRC or a cut and an appropriate switch. I have 14 isolating switches whereas I think it would have been only half that with all Electrofrog points. No big deal, switch wiring is easy. The really good thing about the Unifrog points is that the stock and closure rails (blades) are connected, so connection doesn't rely on blade contact. I didn't know this before I bought them. I thought they were Electrofrog with a dropper already welded to the frog.  :doh:

Platy767

Still in lockdown.

Built a CDU for the 3 motorised points. Haven't wired it in yet.

Had a go with WIT for the terminus points. Added a little pusher at the tiebar bend to operate a uswitch.

I wasn't very satisfied with that setup. It worked ok, but the operating rod rose and fell a little bit as it was operated. I added some tube beyond the tiebar and ran the rod right through, with a tiebar operator rod soldered on. Bent the end up to bear on the uswitch lever. Much better.

Still awaiting a mail order of small screws to fix the uswitches in place and I need to get some more hook up wire of appropriate size to continue the wiring. Who runs out of wire!

Greygreaser

I'm back to hopefully load a short video or a couple of pictures to show where I've got to with the control panel. I bought several used items on eBay and some point motors c/w switches we're in fact unswitched ones!
Consequently I've had to rethink half the wiring, making the West board the non-switched side for point indication from the point motors. To overcome this I've made up a panel from stripboard and relays to mimic the point motor position.
It has one benefit in reduc8ng the number of cable runs to the West board and so I've decided to have the control panel independent but primarily on the East side.

A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Newportnobby

In this heat I'm not sleeping well anyway but, aaaaarrggghhhh :goggleeyes:
Knowing I have this to come is a nightmare ;)

Platy767

Finished wiring on the underside of the board. Fitted and wired the micro switches for frog polarity/power and wired in the CDU and 1 point motor on the underside of the board.

It's good to get the layout right side up again so I can start on the b, b, ballasting work.

Mark

stevewalker

Just been out today to buy polystyrene insulation sheets, to continue building up the raised section, upon which will be part of a town, with an N6.5 narrow-gauge line running through it, so that I can make progress on laying the Z-gauge track for that part of the layout.

KevTheBusDriver

Fencing this week... 2mm square plasticard rod, cut to 13mm long, last 5mm filed/sanded to a round section, top filed like an inverted U, 3 off 1mm diam holes in each one, placed on about 24mm centres, then 'wired' by sewing grey cotton through each hole! Tedious but I'm happy with the result.

KevTheBusDriver

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 30, 2021, 09:30:42 PM
Sounds like a Herculean task but it does look very good.

Thanks, NPN - fortunately(!) this fence was just 17 posts (took about 1/2 day to make & install). I know 1.5mm sq rod would probably look better, but drilling 1mm holes...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations