what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Quote from: newportnobby on November 17, 2014, 02:05:34 PM
Very neat! :thumbsup:
Don't make the layout cover too tight or your passengers will asfi asphi stop breathing :worried:

Given that it's a yard / depot layout, they shouldn't be there in the first place. Serves 'em right for trespassing  ;)

Quote from: scotsoft on November 17, 2014, 01:14:11 PM
Hi Dan,

Have you considered using perspex for your layout cover?

This way you could keep the cover on whilst having a run with your trains  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

John, that's actually not a bad idea. I tend to fiddle in my fiddle yard though so for me the perspex cover would get in the way. Like the thought though.

Alypar11, any pics of your new DCC system to share with us?

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

alypar11

Hi Dan, it's a bit Heath Robinson at the moment involving bulldog clips joining wires and a bit of board with an oval of set-track balanced on a trolley! I'm just impressed with the ease of NCE setup and a second-hand class31 I bought ready chipped at TINGS in September. Will sort out some photos and a proper introduction piece by the weekend as mad busy for a few days now.

steve836

Planting more trees! :help:[smg id=18747 type=preview align=center caption="001"][smg id=18748 type=preview align=center caption="002"]

As I have so many to do I wanted a cheap method of production which wasn't too labour intensive (at 67 I haven't got time to make 1000's by hand) and finally settled on Hornby Scalescene branches. They come in three shades of green and also brown for autumn, they only cost about £10 for a pack containing well over 100 and come in sizes ranging from about 1" to about 3". As they are intended to be branches on trees for larger scales I think they make excellent young trees in N. The area I am modelling had very few trees in LMS days but currently is heavily wooded with mature trees today so I think young trees would be right for the period I am modelling.
I shall add a few lager (whoops freudian slip I meant larger) trees to represent the parents.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Newportnobby

There's a great 'spacious' feel to your layout - a proper railway in a landscape :thumbsup:

Croxy

Chipping Locos.......only two more to do to get all of them up to date!

If you like it run it......

DesertHound

Lots going on here today!

Firstly, alypar11, don't be afraid to post pics, we can never get enough of 'em. I've posted plenty of Heath Robinson pics - some don't garner any replies - probably indicates the lack ofquality of my work  :P

Loving that landscape Steve. The trees look fantastic! They look a little but scrawny but I think that adds to the effect in some way. When you look at real trees, they're not all big bushy boubous things, so I like the effect of the ones you've planted. The landscape is fantastic, with it really setting the scene. The trees add a sense of perspective. How many trees do you plan on planting. 40 quid would get you 400!  :o

Croxy - my hat off to you! Me being a DC simpleton, looking at those circuit boards fills me with horror!

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

steve836

Hi Dan
Thanks for your kind comments.
I've already planted over 200 and guess I'm about 1/4 to 1/3 way there!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

MinZaPint

Well not much but another bit of track has gone down!

Slow progress I know but hopefully I'll get there as time and the pub permit  :beers:

Cheers  David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

mark37/4

Hi Croxy,

What decoder did you use in your Deltic, im going to go to DCC next year, & have the same deltic, & thinking of using the bachmann 6pin decoder in the blue sleave,

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Croxy

Quote from: DesertHound on November 19, 2014, 07:47:57 AM

Croxy - my hat off to you! Me being a DC simpleton, looking at those circuit boards fills me with horror!

Cheers

Dan

It really isn't hard....just plug and play for the most part.......

:thankyousign:

Caz

For the first time in about 7 weeks managed to get a running session in today.  Well pleased, a good hoover and a wipe of the rails and it all ran sweetly except seem to have an intermittent joint in the engine shed approach track.  Great to see the trains running again especially as I finally managed to get my Dapol Collectors club weathered Class 22 and milk tankers running on the layout.  Really need to sort out some sound for it, lovely model.  :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Croxy

Quote from: mark37/4 on November 21, 2014, 06:28:15 PM
Hi Croxy,

What decoder did you use in your Deltic, im going to go to DCC next year, & have the same deltic, & thinking of using the bachmann 6pin decoder in the blue sleave,

Mark

Hi....I used a Fleischmann 6 pin decoder in that one and it works nicely.....I've used those and had to get a Lenz Silver Mini for my Dapol Pannier as the Fleischmann ones were too long. I'm actually going to pick up 3 of the Bachmann decoders to try for the last of my collection that need to be chipped. For the Fleischmann I put some tape on the side facing down to prevent any shorts. I've also put the Fleischmann chip in my Warship. It's pictured as well....The Fleischmann chips are about the same price as the Bachmann ones here....

Cheers, Croxy

Croxy

Well I'm getting close to laying some track. Today I've laid down 1 inch styrofoam over the entire baseboard which will allow me to create different scenic levels by carving away foam for a small stream etc...

mark37/4

Quote from: Croxy on November 22, 2014, 11:15:32 PM
Hi Croxy,

Mark

Hi....I used a Fleischmann 6 pin decoder in that one and it works nicely.....I've used those and had to get a Lenz Silver Mini for my Dapol Pannier as the Fleischmann ones were too long. I'm actually going to pick up 3 of the Bachmann decoders to try for the last of my collection that need to be chipped. For the Fleischmann I put some tape on the side facing down to prevent any shorts. I've also put the Fleischmann chip in my Warship. It's pictured as well....The Fleischmann chips are about the same price as the Bachmann ones here....

Cheers, Croxy

Cheers Croxy, When ive looked at the bachmann ones they seem bulky, but think all try them & the Fleischmann ones

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Croxy

Quote from: mark37/4 on November 22, 2014, 11:27:46 PM
Quote from: Croxy on November 22, 2014, 11:15:32 PM
Hi Croxy,

Mark

Cheers, Croxy

Cheers Croxy, When ive looked at the bachmann ones they seem bulky, but think all try them & the Fleischmann ones

Mark

The Bachmann ones may seem bulky (speculating at this point) due to the blue cover. From what I viewed fitting the chip I think there will be enough clearance. If not I suppose the cover could be cut off and a thin layer of insulating tape used....I'm picking up the Bachmann chips in a couple of weeks from a vendor at a model railway show I'm going to and will try to remember to let you know my impressions of those chips.

Mark...no really....that's my name too.... :) :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations