what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Starting to put things back together temporarily (given the garage conversion is now delayed even further by asbestos before we get to the point of drawings, listed building consents and planning permission  and actually doing any building work - so in reality 'summer 2015' (and possibly an RTR vendor 'summer 2015' at that)

I was fixing up the minor moving damage to various buildings (mostly glueing chimneys back on) and stacking them up on the old Wadebridge board when I noticed a couple of chunks of layout happened to be about the same height (with a bit of adjusting) and joinable, plus I had some spare board ends to rig up a bit of fiddle yard and enough scrap ply to patch together a surface for them.

In fact the buildings seem to take less space on the layout boards than in boxes  ;)  so I've been refurbished the Wadebridge board but with a GWR canopy on the main platform, the bay platform with the track ripped up and sleepers left (saving some awkward track refurbishment) and some street scenery for the background.

Thus by accident Great Petherick & Pawton is born.

I'm going for an early 1970s look for the station - run down, looking like someone might close it. "Paytrain services operate from this station" sort of stuff, while making the town itself bright to try and emphasize just how depressing 1970s BR was.

Rumour has it that the link to the docks (the former Padstow direction when it was Wadebridge) may be re-opening in future to service the secet nuclear submarine base but that may have to wait until it moves as right now the secret nuclear submarine base and the door would need to occupy the same spot 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

grumbeast

Talking of garage conversions, mine is proceeding apace, the interlocking floor tiles arrived today so I'm I the middle of laying the floor over the concrete :)

Then finally back on to benchwork

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 27, 2014, 10:16:44 PM

Thus by accident Great Petherick & Pawton is born.

I'm going for an early 1970s look for the station - run down, looking like someone might close it. "Paytrain services operate from this station" sort of stuff, while making the town itself bright to try and emphasize just how depressing 1970s BR was.

Sounds very interesting, Alan. Look forward to seeing some results when you get GP & P done.

OwL

A feasibility study into converting my DC layout OLd Warren into a DCC controlled layout......
Big bucks, trial and error, lots of swearing but hopefully a result.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

steve836

Quote from: grumbeast on October 27, 2014, 10:37:21 PM
Talking of garage conversions, mine is proceeding apace, the interlocking floor tiles arrived today so I'm I the middle of laying the floor over the concrete :)

Then finally back on to benchwork

how about 50mm duralex sheeting first?--keep your feet warm
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

mr bachmann

going off topic here but the mention of garages and EP mentions asbestos , should any one have one of those white asbestos sectional ones - it should be preserved for the nation along with our beloved pre-fab's .

Alan

Croxy

:NGF:

Well.....I've finally been busy......

Baseboard is built and preliminary painting done.......

Chipping Loco's.........5 so far.....

And connecting and figuring out my Fleischmann Z21........works great.....

If you like it run it......

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scotsoft

You have a neat baseboard there and it looks as if it is out of the way of passing people  :D

Thank you for taking the time to take and post your pictures  :NGaugersRule:

cheers John.

Croxy

Quote from: newportnobby on November 03, 2014, 10:27:36 AM
Eclectic mix of locos you have there, Croxy :thumbsup:

:beers:

Rule 1...... If I like it.....welllll...

:thankyousign:

Bealman

Being a DC dinosaur, it's the computer stuff that impresses me. Triple  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Croxy

Quote from: Bealman on November 04, 2014, 03:10:29 AM
Being a DC dinosaur, it's the computer stuff that impresses me. Triple  :thumbsup:

It's really not that hard to use....and in a lot of ways it makes the actual layout wiring easier as you don't need block sections to run multiple layouts and if you have reverse loop you just insulate that section of track, put in a module that detects the short and it takes care of things.....lots of good info on youtube. Of corse it's an easy decision for because I'm starting fresh and don't have an established layout and I only have two old Grafar locos that are DC....not a whole fleet.....

Thanks, Mark.  :)

MinZaPint

Well by everybody else's standards it ain't much but a start has been made!

NPN will notice that "2" TPM's have been employed!

this is the set of points at the operating end of the reversing loop which will also feature the village of "Kingston Magna" with a small goods yard.

the cunning plan as Baldrick would say

the set of points on the far side in position, now glued and wheighted down

right now off to wet the baby's head while the glue dries  :thumbsup:

:beers:  David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

talisman56

That Engine Shed is a bit 'out in the wilds'...  :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations