The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Malc on August 20, 2016, 02:09:10 PM
In the good old days, when I worked in IT, computer keyboards cost a fortune. People in the offices were always spelling stuff in them. We used to stick them in the sink and cover them with water for a couple of hours. After leaving them draining for a day or so, they were fine. Thank god, our tap water is PH neutral and almost like distilled water. It also worked with my car remote when I dropped it into the canal.

Absolutely, although I have seen many times that impatience causes people to plug them in before they are absolutely dry.  My advice when you think its dry in open air stick it in a warm cupboard fro a few more days.

daveg

Maybe the very best thing to do is avoid taking your phone (or keyboard!) into the loo.

Alternatively, put it on a very short chain?

Just a couple of thoughts ...  I'll go back to me Speckled Hen now. :wave:

Dave G

MinZaPint

Quote from: Bealman on August 20, 2016, 12:40:56 PM
Yep, I spilt a beer on my wife's laptop once.... she belted me and we got thrown out of the restaurant

Before you paid the bill !!!! ?  :sorrysign:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

colpatben

It also worked with my car remote when I dropped it into the canal.

Never seen a canal clean enough to see the bottom and find things (Except supermarket trolleys).

People in the offices were always spelling stuff in them.

I am always spelling funny stuff with my keyboard!
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Mito

Isn't that wot keyboards are for? :confused1:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Malc

Quote from: colpatben on August 20, 2016, 04:43:34 PM
It also worked with my car remote when I dropped it into the canal.

Never seen a canal clean enough to see the bottom and find things (Except supermarket trolleys).

Quotefortunately, because we were on our boat, I had a float on the key ring that stopped it sinking.

I am always spelling funny stuff with my keyboard!
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

People making up words - presumably as they are not literate enough to say things correctly ::)
2 spring to mind recently.

There's an advert on the television for something which involves a woman and a laptop whereby she says she has summited Everest 6 times. That's a new one. A verb - to summit.

In the Olympics people have coined a phrase "He/She has medalled so many times....."
Another new verb - to medal.

Just absolute drivel and, yes, it makes me hopping mad :veryangry2: :veryangry2:

red_death

Quote from: newportnobby on August 22, 2016, 02:28:39 PM
There's an advert on the television for something which involves a woman and a laptop whereby she says she has summited Everest 6 times. That's a new one. A verb - to summit.

Summit can be a verb according to this: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/summit?s=t

In climbing circles it has been used as a verb for decades. It isn't in the old copy of the concise OED that we have at work, but may just be an example of how language evolves.

Cheers, Mike

Newportnobby

Quote from: red_death on August 22, 2016, 02:40:36 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on August 22, 2016, 02:28:39 PM

Summit can be a verb according to this: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/summit?s=t

In climbing circles it has been used as a verb for decades. It isn't in the old copy of the concise OED that we have at work, but may just be an example of how language evolves.

Cheers, Mike

It certainly makes my language evolve, Mike!
The problem is that sections of the populace such as climbers coin 'to summit' as a verb and, before we know it, it will appear in the OED ::)

keithfre

The one that drives me nuts is to 'gift' for 'donate'. But as Mike says, the process of turning nouns into verbs has been going on for centuries and isn't likely to stop any time soon.

keithfre

Quote from: newportnobby on August 22, 2016, 02:46:06 PM
It certainly makes my language evolve, Mike!
The problem is that sections of the populace such as climbers coin 'to summit' as a verb and, before we know it, it will appear in the OED ::)
In the old days, when the OED was a prescriptive dictionary, it would probably have been rejected. Now that it's been decided to make it a descriptive dictionary you're probably right  :(

joe cassidy

The one that annoys me is "impact", used as a verb.

What's wrong with "affected by" instead of "impacted by" ?

Another one is "stakeholders".

What's wrong with "interested parties" ?

Best regards,

Joe

Snowwolflair

Mine are

"stakeholders" mine's a T bone
"disruptive" as in technology
"solidarity" my locomotive is suffering from it!

Yet_Another

Anyone familiar with 'report into' when some management numpty is describing a change in organisation structure?

I always think of them all shouting up each others' bottoms.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

talisman56

Quote from: Yet_Another on August 22, 2016, 10:25:08 PM
Anyone familiar with 'report into' when some management numpty is describing a change in organisation structure?

I always think of them all shouting up each others' bottoms.

They talk out of that area most of the time, so it makes sense to have ears there, too... :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations