The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim-pelican

Quote from: Pengi on April 13, 2013, 11:25:17 AM
Just had a letter from South East Water stating that the South East has been classified as being seriously short of water and now they are going to fit a water meter.

Water meters are one of my pet hates - unless you put in a very strange pricing curve, they put all the water-saving burden on the least well-off.  Fat cats will carry on having their car washed, hosing the lawn and filling their swimming pools, because an extra £50 or £100 is irrelevant.  Meanwhile the poor will be making real decisions about how often to wash or flush, because every pound makes a difference.

It might work if the pricing was e.g. 1p/litre up to the needs of an typical household *not* washing cars etc, plus 10 or 20% safety margin, then £1000/litre afterwards - but you can guess which of the above categories the people at the water companies who set the pricing fall into!

Personally, we'd be better off with one - two people in a three-bed semi - but I won't have it on principle.

Malc

Quote from: Pengi on April 13, 2013, 11:25:17 AM
Just had a letter from South East Water stating that the South East has been classified as being seriously short of water and now they are going to fit a water meter.

Short of water, after all the flooding and the fact that the ground is saturated!! You could not make this up.

The problem in the SE is that they flogged off all the reservoirs to developers for housing, so not only is there less water, more people want it. They like fitting water metres because they can charge you more money
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Malc on April 13, 2013, 01:56:00 PM
The problem in the SE is that they flogged off all the reservoirs to developers for housing, so not only is there less water, more people want it.

And nowhere safe to put it when they don't.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Oldman

Doctors :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Try to get an appointment to see about some of my medication that sort of works,
apart from some side effects.  Earliest I can see them is Tuesday next week.

Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

trainsdownunder

Quote from: Oldman on April 16, 2013, 08:47:47 PM
Doctors :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Try to get an appointment to see about some of my medication that sort of works,
apart from some side effects.  Earliest I can see them is Tuesday next week.

Not much better out here at times (assuming you live where there is a doctor).

It's getting past the receptionist that's the real challenge - "You want to see a doctor ? Are you ill ?"

I sometimes feel like answering "No. I got a leaky water pipe, and I want his advice on what to do !

EtchedPixels

Quote from: trainsdownunder on April 17, 2013, 01:58:45 AM
Quote from: Oldman on April 16, 2013, 08:47:47 PM
Not much better out here at times (assuming you live where there is a doctor).

I've only ever had one encounter with an Australian doctor - after I fell off a horse. He had everything but corks on his hat, told me I needed a muscle relaxant and that beer or painkillers both work but I couldn't have both, and then while giving me a tetanus shot explained that his stock of sticking plasters was mostly for the parents as the children he used them on couldn't care less.

We need more doctors like that  :beers:

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Trouble with muscle relaxants is I just dare not cough or sneeze after taking them  :poop:

Kipper

Went to have another blood test yesterday. Woke up in the morning and wondered if it was a "fasting" one, so did not have breakfast until could phone the surgery and check - what a joke!! So turned up for an 11:45 appointment, staggering with hunger, and phlebotomist tells me that is was not fasting!!!! And then, as she was not too experienced, she could not get any blood out of me (just left 8 holes in my arms). I must admit that I am a difficult proposition for blood removal, same as administering an anaesthetic, due to worn out veins from 13 months of weekly blood tests as a child.
So must now go back Friday to see the top phlebo! Oh, and this was a rush job blood test ordered by my G.P. on Monday.

scotsoft

If there is one thing that is guaranteed to give me a sleepless night, it is a fasting blood test and there is nothing worse than being awake all night and not being able to drink coffee  :veryangry:

Caz

Picture of you when you get up in the mornings?   :P  :D
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Kipper

All this backwards and forwards to hospitals and doctors, and tomorrow (Thursday), I am actually working at my local hospital, doing preliminary quality assurance assessments (voluntary, so unpaid......). Might just go into A & E and collapse on the floor, should get myself sorted out then.

ReBeginner

Still very annoyed with the pain in my knees - and that! Doctor says avoid knee ops if at all possible, but won't prescribe opium or that green plant stuff as a painkiller - pah!
Less is more .............. So I'm told!

What do we want?
Hearing Aids
When do we want 'em?
Hearing Aids

MikeDunn

I fail to see why he refuses to let you have lettuce ...  :o

Sprintex

I thought he was talking about catnip ;)

Does wonders for our Moggy, give it a try?? :D

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations