The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Quote from: Pengy on February 13, 2013, 09:26:26 PM
Driving along the A27 on the way to Chichester. Hardly another car on the dual carriageway and then I spotted, on a bridge over the road, a mobile speed camera that has probably caught me doing 80 mph. Really angry about this, if they are going to use the cameras for road safety purposes, why don't they use them in roads where there is a known issue or in built up areas where speeding will put more lives at risk instead of on a dual carriageway outside of the rush hour when, IMHO, doing 80 is perfectly safe.

Ironically, have just got my new driving licence and was so pleased to finally rid myself of points - now face the anxious wait to see if the points are put back!

Was it an indicated 80mph on the car speedo? And also is it a standard 70mph limit dual carriageway or is there a lower signposted limit?

If the answer to both is 'yes' then you should be OK. Car speedometers generally over-read by about 10%, they HAVE to over-read by law as they are not allowed to under-read from the factory. Added to that most cameras operate a +20&% policy to allow some leeway, so the chances are you were actually doing 73-ish mph past a camera that won't bother unless you're doing over 84  ;)

Paul

Pengi

Quote from: Sprintex on February 13, 2013, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: Pengy on February 13, 2013, 09:26:26 PM
Driving along the A27 on the way to Chichester. Hardly another car on the dual carriageway and then I spotted, on a bridge over the road, a mobile speed camera that has probably caught me doing 80 mph. Really angry about this, if they are going to use the cameras for road safety purposes, why don't they use them in roads where there is a known issue or in built up areas where speeding will put more lives at risk instead of on a dual carriageway outside of the rush hour when, IMHO, doing 80 is perfectly safe.

Ironically, have just got my new driving licence and was so pleased to finally rid myself of points - now face the anxious wait to see if the points are put back!

Was it an indicated 80mph on the car speedo? And also is it a standard 70mph limit dual carriageway or is there a lower signposted limit?

If the answer to both is 'yes' then you should be OK. Car speedometers generally over-read by about 10%, they HAVE to over-read by law as they are not allowed to under-read from the factory. Added to that most cameras operate a +20&% policy to allow some leeway, so the chances are you were actually doing 73-ish mph past a camera that won't bother unless you're doing over 84  ;)

Paul

Thanks Paul, i know I wasn't doing over 80 and it is standard 70mph. It was a mobile speed camera and  West Sussex police used to have a reputation for harshness. What annoyed me was why they would be speed checking on a dual carriageway with no history of accidents caused by speeding - unless they were trying to boost their revenue. I'm not anti-speed cameras provided they are located appropriately.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pengy on February 13, 2013, 10:46:01 PM
for harshness. What annoyed me was why they would be speed checking on a dual carriageway with no history of accidents caused by speeding - unless they were trying to boost their revenue. I'm not anti-speed cameras provided they are located appropriately.

Presumably because they thought there may be a problem in the location. You could always ask them why they picked the spot !

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

guest311

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 13, 2013, 11:30:00 PM

Presumably because they thought there may be a problem in the location. You could always ask them why they picked the spot !

my guess would be because they get a lot of people exceeding the speed limit, :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

nothing at all to do with raising money to pay for the new deputy PCC for sussex plod, of course. :-X

don't those pigs hold a tight formation up there in the sky  >:D

Sprintex

Quote from: class37025 on February 14, 2013, 12:52:39 AM
don't those pigs hold a tight formation up there in the sky  >:D

Didn't see any mention of a Police helicopter? :laugh:

Paul

Lawrence

for harshness. What annoyed me was why they would be speed checking on a dual carriageway with no history of accidents caused by speeding - unless they were trying to boost their revenue. I'm not anti-speed cameras provided they are located appropriately.

Presumably to catch speeding Pengys  ;D

Pengi

Quote from: Lawrence on February 14, 2013, 09:29:16 AM

Presumably to catch speeding Pengys  ;D

Yes, I was speeding.  Was I driving unsafely? - No. Did I break the law? - Yes. I can't really grumble if I do get caught, I more angry with myself.

Malc

It really is a pain, especially as the endorsements last 4 years, but the points only count for 3 years. A letter dropped through my letterbox last year from the Police Ticketing Office. I thought they were flogging tickets to the Policemans' Ball, but no such luck. £60 down the drain and 3 points.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

hairygit

Whilst I really feel for the stress your having Pengy, the only way to avoid such things is to SLOW DOWN, keep a close eye on your speedo (or set cruise control if you have it). As a biker myself, I've learnt that police really pick on us, so we have to watch our backs at all times. I live in a small village in Devon, and it's a 30 limit, but it seems everyone ignores the fact :veryangry: We get huge artics using our village as a shortcut to the local quarry, and S.W.M.B.O.'s car has been hit 6 times in the last 6 months, and not once has anyone stopped after doing it. The police  done a series of speed checks through here recently, and in one session caught 9 H.G.V.s doing OVER 45m.p.h., and several other motorists caught at over 50m.p.h. and all of them whine about it! Truth is, the limit is a law, if you break it and get caught, nobody else is to blame, whether you consider it safe or not.
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

Pengi

Quote from: hairygit on February 14, 2013, 10:23:06 AM
Whilst I really feel for the stress your having Pengy, the only way to avoid such things is to SLOW DOWN, keep a close eye on your speedo (or set cruise control if you have it). As a biker myself, I've learnt that police really pick on us, so we have to watch our backs at all times. I live in a small village in Devon, and it's a 30 limit, but it seems everyone ignores the fact :veryangry: We get huge artics using our village as a shortcut to the local quarry, and S.W.M.B.O.'s car has been hit 6 times in the last 6 months, and not once has anyone stopped after doing it. The police  done a series of speed checks through here recently, and in one session caught 9 H.G.V.s doing OVER 45m.p.h., and several other motorists caught at over 50m.p.h. and all of them whine about it! Truth is, the limit is a law, if you break it and get caught, nobody else is to blame, whether you consider it safe or not.

This is one of the reasons that I've been on the train a lot more!

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: whiteswan on February 13, 2013, 08:30:42 PM
Well, I finally succumbed and bought a Dapol FGW HST book set
CAZ !!!

An HST on the Fairford branch tut tut tut.... :laugh:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 14, 2013, 12:14:09 PM
CAZ !!!

Be fair ... it breaks down a lot !  :P

Caz

CAZ !!!

When I finally get it fixed it will run from the main terminus and around the double track main line which represents the main line from London to the West.  Sheepishly admits that it will have to go onto the branch  :-[ as that is my reversing loop which will enable the train to come back from the west, but hey, it's my layout and Rule 1 lives   :P
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Jerry Howlett

Perhaps you could "auto fit it" and stick a 14XX on the front for the branch trip...
OK I should know better than to argue with the fairer se :censored:
:whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Pengi

Quote from: whiteswan on February 14, 2013, 01:26:22 PM
CAZ !!!

When I finally get it fixed it will run from the main terminus and around the double track main line which represents the main line from London to the West.  Sheepishly admits that it will have to go onto the branch  :-[ as that is my reversing loop which will enable the train to come back from the west, but hey, it's my layout and Rule 1 lives   :P

. . . Voyagers next >:D ;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations