What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shillabeer

I'm assembling fiNetrax on the NGS stand at the Steam exhibition in Swindon. Warwells next to put on the track.

Michael

Chris in Prague

The domestic authorities having granted planning permission for a layout stored under the double bed, after careful measuring, I now have space for a baseboard measuring 160 X 70 mm, which means room for rather more scenery behind and in front of the planned terminus station (based on Padstow but with significant alterations and deletion of the Fish Shed and Quay sidings.) Working out where all the wiring will go (points, electric lights, turntable) as I only want to use DCC for the locos. will take me a considerable while . . .

Meanwhile, each month, I am buying stock for my chosen period (c. 1963 - 1969 -- the core network of the North Cornwall lines being modernised not closed down, after the WR took over in 1963, in my alternative history!). Steam, diesel, SR and WR stock. A very nice combination. I will run the ACE with SR steam and, in winter, WR diesels (Hymeks, mainly, occasional Warship). (In my history, in summer, the ACE remained WC / BB (unrebuilt until after the hypothetical route upgrading in 1964) hauled until the end of SR steam in 1967.) I plan to run summer and winter timetables for specific periods with appropriate stock. However, there will be Castle-hauled enthusiast specials, too!

My first loco. and rolling stock order has been sent.

carlmt

Just started to design our new layout for when we move into our new house next month.

Inspired by the right-bank stretch of the Rhein near Rudesheim in Germany, it will be based in Epoch IV.

The layout is designed to fit in a room 3m x 2,5m and will sit on a 500mm wide base-board with spirals at each end leading to a fiddleyard on a layer below.  The whole layout will be incorporated in a full-height, wall to wall library bookcase running around 2 walls of the room.

Much work to do yet!!!!

Too many UK layouts on this 'ere forum - need to redress the balance a bit!!!!  :D  :D  :D

Sketch of the proposed layout:

And the inspiration:

Carl :thumbsup:

Malc

Quote from: carlmt on September 22, 2013, 11:45:11 PM

Inspired by the right-bank stretch of the Rhein near Rudesheim in Germany, it will be based in Epoch IV.

Hi Carl,

I know the area, been up and down the river a few times and along the railway a few times. Taken my life in my hands crossing the tracks at Rudesheim as well. Looking forward to seeing some progress reports and pictures.

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daveg

Look forward to watching your new layout grow.

Dave G

mr bachmann

i'm getting 'bored' of the US outline layout , so over the past few weeks i have been doing Central station whilst its still in one piece - ( work has started on 1.5 million £'s plus improvement ) - any way lots of buildings have been made , this week its  making lots of terrace houses using metcalf kits as a starting point .

alan

:Class37:
what the up boulby on the down saltburn line !

texhorse

:o :o :o

WHAAAAAATTTT??!!!!

Hush your mouth Alan!  How can you be bored of US layouts?

:laughabovepost:

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Cutter

I am in the early stages of modeling Welwyn North on the East Coast Main Line in LNER days, c.1925-35. I grew up not far from there and for a few years lived close by and commuted from there. My father was born in 1929 and moved to the area in 1931 and was a lifelong LNER enthusiast. I chose to model the period around 1930 partly for these reasons, and because after years of little change improvements began to make their mark with resignaling in 1931 followed by alterations to the buildings and in 1935 the removal of the up side cattle dock and sidings.
I am having lots of fun and learning a ton about local history! But as a Massachusetts resident, site visits and stock are more difficult than I"d like.

steve836

:hellosign:
I'm making a layout based on Cromford in Derbyshire, the old Midland route to Buxton & Manchester, in late steam/early diesel era.
I put some photos on this website but can't find them so here they are again.
While I'm on , I'm thinking of getting a Dapol track cleaner as I have loads of track in tunnel: does anyone have experience of these & are they any good.
Found the pictures, they are in the media section under Steve8736's layout.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

scotsoft

Hi Steve,

You will find this tutorial useful:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4300.msg48938#msg48938

As for keeping track clean, I can recommend these track cleaning pads.  Attach one to each train you are running and they quietly go along doing their job of keeping on top of the dust etc.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7687.msg85644#msg85644

cheers John.

steve836

Hi John,
Thanks for the links. With so much track (Nearly 100metres) in tunnel I want something to run through when cleaning is needed and, according to the proprietor of my local model shop, if impregnated with cleaner these pads would only do about 10ft before they needed a top-up. There used to be a wagon advertised in R.M. but  I havn't seen the ad. for over a year, at £75  I think they may have gone belly up. The prop. of my model shop found these wagons from Dapol but has no personal knowledge and as they cost £50 I would like some feedback before investing so much.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

scotsoft

I use these pads dry, they are not meant to be used to give the track an initial clean, they are a maintenance thing that helps.  I only soak them in IPA when I need to clean them  ;)

The guy in your model shop has obviously no experience using these and I would suspect he is after a sale of something more expensive.

There is another "home made" track cleaner that has been used:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=957.msg20200#msg20200

and one you can use IPA with:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2199.msg23122#msg23122

cheers John.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: scotsoft on November 04, 2013, 04:38:21 PM
I use these pads dry, they are not meant to be used to give the track an initial clean, they are a maintenance thing that helps.  I only soak them in IPA when I need to clean them  ;)

cheers John.

IPA = India Pale Ale? 8-)

dodger112958

Started laying track on my layout 'Ashdon' from the fiddle yard around under what will be the raised station and town centre. Made a complete hoo har of the flexi track, trying to make nice sweeping curves realised I wouldn't have enough room to complete the 180 degree track without running out of baseboard.  :doh:So had to rip most of it up again.  :veryangry: Still I have learned a lesson and will be more aware when I reach the other end of the board to re-join the fiddle yard. Guess that is the first of many newbie mistakes. Still only cost me a length of flexi, could have been worse.
Ian
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

daveg

Quote from: Chris in Prague on November 04, 2013, 07:30:22 PM
Quote from: scotsoft on November 04, 2013, 04:38:21 PM

cheers John.

IPA = India Pale Ale? 8-)

No, Chris. That would make the rails sticky and a waste of a reasonable tasty beverage!  :beers:

I'm sure you really know but just in case anyone isn't sure, the stuff mentioned is Isopropyl alcohol which is definitely not anything like the beer.  :sick2:

Dave G

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations