The Importance of a Narrative

Started by NeMo, April 03, 2015, 03:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komata

Concerning the desirability of a 'Narrative', herewith my few cents worth.

It is extremely difficult to construct ANY model railway without some sort of guideline while so-doing.  At its simplest, this can be a 'history' of some sort which gives a 'reason' for what currently exists, with the alternative being a totally random collection of 'bits' which have absolutely no relationship to each other, but which were purchased 'cos they looked nice'. Taken to an extreme this could be a model of 'Rocket' sharing a US-style roundhouse with an HST!  Slightly daft admitedly, but certainly possible.

A narrative is however different - it 'tells a story', not only to the builder, but to the viewer.  My wife and I learnt this at an exhibition we attended as guest exhibitors several years ago. The layout concerned was Six-Mile Bush - photos of which appear in Komata's album in the 'Gallery' section of this site.  The 'viewing public' were walking past, taking a very quick look, then moving on.  How to get them to at least stay and 'look' at what I'd done? In desperation, I started to tell anyone watching, a very improvised story about the village and what was going on within the settlement, pointing out what was happening while I was doing so (it's amazing what one can do with an ordinary drinking straw!!) The tale altered as each viewer 'visited' and was a real dogs breakfast (remember I was improvising).  To our amazement it actually worked, and people really became involved in 'the story'. They bought into it very readily.  We subsequently 'formalised' the tale and now present it as part of the greater 'model trains are fun, come get involved' idea that we try to present to the public (especially as the hobby is visibly declining as computer games et all take more and more away).

We have discovered with experience that we actually don't to do all the talking, and that the 'customer' can often create their own 'narrative' based on what is presented to them; children especially have this ability and can create some amazing tales from what they see before them.  These are all perfectly feasible, and are always very entertaining, especially when they are presented to me (as the operator) in absolute seriousness.  In such situations, the presence of a 'narrative' is absolutely important and provides the basis on which such 'stories' are based.

A couple of pointers however - especially if exhibiting:  We have learnt that it is essential to try and introduce some sort of humour into the narrative (six Mile Bush has, for example, a very shy dinosaur 'lurking' behind a building), and at times a couple of Kangaroos have been seen to be loose in the same layout's top paddock (the Aussies will understand) along with a pair of ostrich like, (and supposedly extinct) native birds called Moa; one is named 'Push' and the other 'Mota'... WEe have also discovered that it is wise to try to avoid politics - even if in fun, or for historically-accurate reasons (and because it fits the narrative being presented!!) I unintentionally got into an argument over a scene of my Te Kereru mining and Investment Co. Ltd. layout with an adult resident of a nearby mining town renowned in New Zealand history for a very violent confrontation between a local union and the New Zealand Government - in 1912!!  it was a very quick learning  experience!  BTW: DON'T introduce / have anything 'questionable' on your layouts - even though it can probably be justified as part of the narrative - it does absolutely 'nowt for your reputation and even less for the hobby - especially as parents of small children may have to explain what the 'littlies' have seen (just saying)

Finally (and this may be the most important point), try to key your 'narrative' to your viewer! If modelling (for instance) a well-known city, don't just model 'the trains' model whatever else said city is known for (even jellied eel stands if that is a local speciality - or even a locally-known cafe or eating establishment) - something your viewer can at least have some identification with.

As I said, my few cents.  A 'narrative' on your layout?  Definitely.

Thanks for asking.  Hope this has helped.

BTW: I asked my wife (who is very familiar with railway exhibitions as she has been to quite a few with me  over the past decade or more) what she looks for on a layout. Her reply was interesting.  The thing she looks for on ANY layout is 'whether it tells a story'.   If the layout she is looking at (irrespective of scale ) doesn't 'tell her a tale' she moves on.  It appears that this trait is one shared by many women....
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Bealman

Yes, I believe that a narrative is important to establish character, credibility and a raison d'etre for a layout, particularly a large one.

I realise that I have harped on the following in a few threads in the past, but when I look back at the layouts that influenced me most as a kid, they were the ones with a story:

Peter Denny's Buckingham Branchlines being probably the foremost. In fact I have just re-read his book Peter Denny's Buckingham Branchlines Part Two 1967-1993 (Wild Swan Publications... not sure if it's still in print), and intend to do a review on it soon.

The final chapter is entitled "A Buckingham Journey" in which the author takes the reader on a layout tour from the viewpoint of the reader being on the layout hopping on and off trains! It begins:

"The year is 1907 and we are standing in the Market Square at Buckingham, having spent a pleasant night in the Great Central Hotel." 'Nuff said!!

Other layouts of the era that spring to mind and fall instantly into the "narrative" mold are P.D. Hancock's Craig and Mertonford (book review in that section), and Derek Naylor's Aire Valley.

OK, none of these layouts were N scale, but they all oozed atmosphere and excellent operational capability - mainly due to the reality afforded them by their accompanying narratives.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

steve836

Whilst I would agree that a "narrative" matters to make a layout credible to a visitor, for someone who just wants to run what they like without trying to make a layout credible to others then its not needed. A matter of  what suits the builder.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, gc4946, Komata, and Bealman for those thoughtful and very interesting posts. Even if you do not plan to show your finished layout (and I don't) I think that, as Bealman, says, a narrative is important to establish character, credibility and a raison d'etre for a layout but I would add of any size. Of course, if all the modeller wants to do is to run any trains that they like then a narrative is, indeed, irrelevant. However, to achieve realism then, IMHO, a narrative is essential and, as gc4946 points out, it also makes it much easier to decide what to buy and what not to. And, I think, for quite a few of us, a coherent narrative adds to the enjoyment of modelling and operating our layouts.

Regarding the earlier post about using layouts for storytelling, that was always my intention with Cant Cove and I have bought many different collections of N Scale people with particular stories in mind. Maybe, later this year, I'll even be able to show some of them?

Certainly it is the figures which attract the attention of my female friends and acquaintances. The nudists for the naturist beach at Cant Cove are already notorious!

Mustermark

Quote from: Southernboy on April 04, 2015, 07:44:23 PM
Looking at this purely academically, I suppose the question at the back of my mind is whether sharing our work on the internet makes us more 'self conscious' about what we do.

I think that's a very interesting point. I think it does make us self-conscious, having in mind that we will post the pictures and the narrative... Like my fictitious upgraded Westerns at Reading in 1974, some things might be done with the idea of posting them.  Sharing is certainly changing how we see our hobby.

That's not necessarily a bad thing... I think our efforts to have a narrative are part of the fun, and sharing that is too. I think the narrative makes things interesting for everyone else. Who doesn't love the Frankland news bulletins from the 1930s? In my case, the narrative is my inner 10-year old trainspotting on Reading station in 1973. The idea of a whole history of Cornwall being invented to inspire many people to build miniature works of art is extraordinary. I was also intrigued by Mr Grumpy's dystopian future.

As for the OP, a narrative isn't necessary... Some of Chris' videos with his real soundtrack, little cameo appearances of freight passing wherever, are stand-alone works of art.

But a narrative certainly draws people in to appreciate the layout as a creation. And I think that the narrative does the same for the creator, generating an emotional involvement that undoubtedly would make it a longer lived project with the care and effort that it is likely to engender in the construction.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

steve836

My point is that a "narrative" is entirely optional. My layout has a sort of "narrative" as it is an artistic interpretation of a real place, with allowance made for the fact that you can't fit a mile and a quarter into a space 18ft long, even in N without some compromises plus a few changes to make operating the layout more interesting without a lot of shunting moves.
However not everyone wants to go that route and who are we to say they should!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Chris in Prague

In the deepest sense of the word, every layout has some kind of narrative, even if it is Rule One applies! However, there is a wide range of narratives and that is as it should be because, above all else, each layout is it's own modeller's / s' creation. The degree and depth (and realism) of each narrative depends on the personal interests and inclinations of each modeller. Certainly, each layout will involve compromises of some sort because they are models, miniatures, but not real life no matter how closely we try to model our individual interpretations of our chosen reality.

"The idea of a whole history of Cornwall being invented to inspire many people to build miniature works of art is extraordinary." It certainly did not start out in any planned way but just grew organically as more people wanted to get involved and wanted to share in the design of a common alternative history and become part of a wider miniature reality which they could adjust to their personal requirements. For me that has considerably added to my enjoyment and I am very grateful to Alex, Brian, Jon, John, Martin, and Mike for their participation and imagination. The sum is very much greater than its parts.

E Pinniger

Most of my layout fits into Category 2 in Ben A's post above (first page) so its fictional history is assumed to be much the same as the real-life locations it is loosely based on (Exeter Central, Dawlish Warren and St. Ives). It's more a case of adapting/interpreting the prototypical reality to fit the limitations of available space, than any attempt to create a fictional railway serving either a fictional location or a real one which never had a railway connection.
The notable exception is the mineral branch, which has a lot more scope for creativity with both backstory and operation/rolling stock (a big part of the reason I added it to the layout in the first place). It's assumed to be based on the trackbed of an older horse-drawn mineral tramway,like the one at Hay Tor - hence the steep gradient - and later acquired by Col. Stephen's "empire", at which point a basic passenger service was added to the line in the rather optimistic hope of attracting more traffic.

Buffin

For me as a visitor at an exhibition, a story matters a lot. Remember, there are plenty of layouts to gaze at. It doesn't have to be a true story, just something that makes the scene feel as if it could be a real place with its own logic/dynamic.

Narrative can also take me back to an exhibit, for a longer second look.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations