Scotchlok not worth the hassle

Started by cernem1alt, February 27, 2013, 02:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Quote from: Sprintex on February 27, 2013, 10:01:46 PM
It's the red tap splice you need:-

No, good pair of pliers will do just as well ;)

24/0.2 will be OK for bus-wire if your layout is on the small side. It's a little bit overkill for droppers, you can go as low as 7/0.2 wire for droppers less than a foot long
Cheers for this Paul :)

I'll have a search around, see if I can find the reds at a steal price  :smiley-laughing:  Good to know I don't have to splash out on another tool - got loads of pliers.  Will have a look around for 7/0.2 as well ...

What's peoples opinions on the small solid-core wire for droppers ?  1/0.6 I think (still trying to get my head around wiring specs  :confused1:) ?  I've read that this is better because it stays in place (being solid core) ?  And handles a little more current than 7/0.2 ?  (the lengths will be under 30cm, more like 10cm I reckon)

Started reading about all this electrickery stuff in a book I hadn't realised I had  :-[ - we got several Aspects of Modelling books & Right Track DVDs free from a show about 2 years ago - & promptly forgot about them  :doh:  Seeing as one is Morton's Railway Electrics ...  :smackedface:  BTW - is this a good / average / poor book ?

Mike

Sprintex

Do not use solid core, it snaps far more easily than stranded wire so you have more chance of problems. Anyone who's worked in telecommunications will know this ;)

Better to use stranded: to attach dropper to rail first strip the wire end and tin with solder. Clean area of rail to be soldered to (side or rail-bottom depending on your choice) and tin this also. Place tinned wire end against tinned rail and a quick touch with soldering iron should be all you need, hopefully avoiding melted sleepers :thumbsup:

Paul

cernem1alt

patiently soldering and it works fine :bounce:

MikeDunn

Cheers Paul - will avoid 1/0.6 and stick with 7/0.2 !!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations