Japanese Kato EMU service/repair

Started by arrownet, April 10, 2020, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrownet

Quote from: njee20 on April 11, 2020, 08:47:24 AM
You can almost certainly replace just the motor, rather then needing an entire new chassis. May not be a Kato spare.

I am willing to explore any and all options - I suspect that replacing the motor is easy, once you know what you are doing.
Trouble is, I don't!

njee20

My sole Kato experience is a Eurostar, but on that motor replacement is trivial. No tools required at all. Like I say, I don't know if you can get replacements, but buying a whole new chassis is definitely a sledgehammer to crack a walnut type approach!

It would be worth confirming the motor's actually the culprit first - applying DC power directly to the motor will confirm if that's the issue, someone like Dr Al, as advised, would be a great person to help with this if you're not confident.

arrownet

Thanks @njee20, I just had another try at running it on DC but with the same result - lights but no motor.
However, upon re-reading your message I see that you're saying to apply power directly to the motor - I will drop Dr Al a line in due course for advice on this.

On the plus side, the new chassis only comes to £20 or so...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations