White-metal kit bashing

Started by Papyrus, April 06, 2020, 12:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I suspect this question probably doesn't have an easy answer, but here goes anyway.

I have an old Foxhunter A1 kit which I want to bash into an A2/2. I can see a way of doing most of the modifications but the thing that has me stumped is the dome. The kit has the banjo dome moulded into the boiler but it is in the wrong place for the A2. I need to remove it without scarring the boiler underneath. It's too much to hope that I can remove it in one piece so that I can reglue it where I want it - I'm sure I can fabricate a new one from plastic - I'll be happy if I can remove it neatly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Snowwolflair

I tend to cut off with a Stanley knife in flakes - very carefully.

I prefer to slightly over cut and then fill with car body filler which is easier to sand with a fine wet and dry paper without scarring the surrounding white metal.

Snowwolflair

Also if you can take a mould of the dome you can make a new one.

Bob Tidbury

You could ring Ray of B H E he might have the correct dome for you his number is 01923 672809
Or Email bhengauge@googlemail.com
Bob Tidbury

thebrighton

Being white metal it is relatively simple to file the dome away until it is flush with the boiler and with some wet and dry paper you can erase any trace that it was ever there. Unfortunately there's little chance of being able to remove the dome intact and reposition it. As already mentioned you could try taking a mould of it before filing it off.

Papyrus

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 06, 2020, 01:02:09 PM
Also if you can take a mould of the dome you can make a new one.

Very good point!

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 06, 2020, 01:34:02 PM
You could ring Ray of B H E he might have the correct dome for you his number is 01923 672809
Or Email bhengauge@googlemail.com
Bob Tidbury

Thanks Bob. I had a look on the BHE catalogue but couldn't see one listed but I'll try Ray.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it might not be as difficult as I feared!

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations