What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjanaway and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

bees

I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

deltic 187a

Just dusted off my layout that was constructed about 18 years ago. 6x4 base which hinges up against the wall in the spare bedroom. Very freelance based on the early 60's, so a bit of steam / diesel crossover. Now in the process of converting my locos to DCC as they are as old as the layout in general.  Motive power - farish ( poole )  J94 060, Cl 101 DMU,  pannier tank, Class 08, Class 33 ( now converted and operational ). Minitrix :  2 x warship cl 42, a class 27, A4 nigel gresley ( doesn't really go with the layout , just bought it for pure indulgence ). Farish ( china ) class 31 DCC converted but not working. Also have a big weird orange coloured centre cab kato Freight diesel that I was given as a present, absolutely does not go with layout but what a beautiful runner - don't know what to do with this yet - and finally a tomix 6 wheel diesel thingy - again good runner but unsure what to do with it.

That's my rather eclectic mix !!
farish Poole - J94, pannier, 101 DMU, Cl33, cl08.
Minitrix - 2 warships, cl27, A4
Kato - weird centre cab orange loco -JNR DD-51
Tomix - little 060 shunter

Newportnobby

Quote from: deltic 187a on July 13, 2013, 07:47:35 PM

You're not wrong there!
Interesting selection - what trackage system are you using?
How about a couple of pics of the layout (if in doubt, see our FAQ's) :thumbsup:

dodger112958

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

deltic 187a

track is a mixture of Farish and Peco setrack and flexitrack.  Once I mange to get all the dust off it ( all 15 years of it ) and reglue a few bits back on that have dropped off, I will gladly take some pics.

trev

Bealman

Dodger: Yep, link works. Lookin' good, buddy!

Deltic: you're in same boat as me... layout restoration. My layout too is old, and most of my stock is old Farish. I am gradually acquiring new stuff, though. DCC will be a long way off, if ever, for me, unfortunately.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

grumbeast

Quote from: deltic 187a on July 13, 2013, 07:47:35 PM
Also have a big weird orange coloured centre cab kato Freight diesel that I was given as a present, absolutely does not go with layout but what a beautiful runner - don't know what to do with this yet - and finally a tomix 6 wheel diesel thingy - again good runner but unsure what to do with it.

I was intrigued by this, I am thinking that given its Tomix and orange, its probably a JNR DD-51 like this one...

Am I correct?  There are some other centre cab loco's but they're not really in the middle

Graham

deltic 187a

:thankyousign:  :greatpicturessign:

spot on grumbeast - well done, that is definitely the beasty. I have to confess, although it does not fit my layout, it is probably the best running loco I have - it us simply superb.  Will have to paint it br green and pretend its an experimental prototype. Mind you it is big, it dwarfs my class 33.
cheers
Trev

texhorse

My main layout is American diesels, set on the Ohio / Indiana state border in the MidWest.  I have also got a new shelf British diesel layout based in the West Midlands somewhere.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Dorsetmike

As I mentioned in my intro post I'm modelling the Southern in the mid 1930s, lovely Maunsell dark olive!  Somewhere in east Dorset, probably the Purbecks.

I've modelled this area since my first N layout in the mid to late 1970s, Initially the period chosen was late 1950s due to there being so little ex SR stock available I had to run some BR and also to include the Somerset and Dorset in the scenario so I could use ex LMS as well. In the mid 1980s I started a loft layout loosely based on Bournemouth west, by the time I had track laid and tested, the company I worked for decided to move my job from Poole to Clevedon, so track was salvaged and stock packed and off we went to Weston super Mud, We had the loft properly floored and insulated and Bournemouth West started again, this time 25' x 17' L shaped, Broadstone was also modelled. We had an area group covering north Somerset, Avon and north west Wilts, mostly meeting at my place so we got plenty of running time in.

After about 5 years redundancy struck so we went back home to Poole, funds were tight and quite a bit of stock got sold. when I got work I restarted but moved my time period back to the 1930s but still in E Dorset. Now on my third layout, 2 previous ones having died the death due to domestic requirements - got chucked out of the spare room into the garage,  Now I'm on me own I can build what and where I like.  The current layout started in a bay window and has developed to the point where it has encroached  on another wall. I'm gradually assembling photos in preparation for writing it up here on NGF.

Stock now ranges from Adams classes through to Maunsell's day. I'm fairly sure that some of them are the only examples of their class in N gauge How about an Adams A12 class 0-4-2 or a Drummond K10, or a Urie H15. Very little is as it came out of the box, even if it's only renumbered or had vac pipes added. My workbench is the home of Bodgem & Fudgit ably assisted by Hackem and Scratchit.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

jamie

I'm modelling a railway inspired by the novels of Agatha Christie! I thought it would be nice to try modelling a theme rather than a specific location, although there are both real and fictional locations I will be incorporating into the layout.

The layout will be mainly GWR, as dictated by the books.

You can read my blog at www.murderonthetracks.co.uk I also re-blog my entries on RMWeb.
murderonthetracks.co.uk - a model railway inspired by the works of Agatha Christie!

Pengi

Welcome Jamie, your blog looks terrific  :thumbsup:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Chris in Prague

What a great wealth of information and helpful people are here. I'm planning a N Gauge DCC layout based on the ex-SR North Cornwall lines after the WR takeover in 1963 so that I can run WR steam and diesel locos plus a Bulleid Pacific on the Atlantic Coast Express and some BR Standards. I'm assuming that the total closure of the ex-SR Withered Arm did not happen under a far more enlightened management with local council support and that steam continued, in a limited summer service until 1967, the end of SR steam. (A scenario like the BR Manager who was sent to close down the Settle & Carlisle line but actually helped to save it.)

The station is planned to be a modified version of Padstow but with some features from Halwill Junction, Bude, and Ilfracombe so all protypical for the area. As I won't be moving for at least 10 years I have plenty of time for planning, learning, and buying stock! (Anyone got a spare SR green CCT?)

Although a (G)WR man at heart I've always loved the atmosphere of the ex-LSWR 'Withered Arm' and (G)WR locos like 45XX and 57XX panniers, not to mention the 136X small panniers all ran in the area, together with a nice selection of BR Standards. I’m assuming that with route modernisation (in 1963 instead of decline and closure) the Route Availability was increased (new track and ballasting) so that I can stretch beyond Class 03s, 04s, 08s, and 22s (which certainly ran; I need to start collecting numbers for those which worked the Withered Arm) to Class 42 Warships (which ran to Ilfracombe) and Class 35 Hymeks which weren't exactly common in the far South West but I love from my schooldays. (I'm not really interested in SR T9s or Ns, hence choosing 1963-67; although I know the Ns lasted longer than the T9s and one is available in N so . . . .) However, I think Class 52 Westerns would not be able to cope with the curves even if the track was upgraded? (Plymouth Laira certainly had an allocation at the time.) Alas Class 14s (to my knowledge) never ran in the South West. A pity as I still remember cabbing an almost brand new condition D9501 after it had already been withdrawn and stored! However, as the WR soon had more Class 14s than they knew what to do with, maybe a couple could have been transferred to Laira to keep freight costs down?

One single unit BR railcars (W55001, W55014 and W55026 are known to have worked the line), one two and three coach Class 117 DMU sets, all in green, plus, if it ever became available a green AC Cars railbus would complement the loco-hauled trains (SR green Bulleids and Mark Is and WR chocolate and cream Mark Is, plus a maroon B Set). I’m assuming the Maunsell carriages were all gone by 1963. Plenty of ex-SR parcels, luggage and newspaper vans in green and green GUVs for the summer only car carrier service. (One ran to Okehampton until 1964; I'm assuming it ran to 1967 and to my 'Padstow'.)

Limited goods and parcels, newspapers traffic with china clay hoods but no cattle traffic (I think it had finished by the late 1960s?).

I will have to find a prototype small SR / WR diesel servicing area for my model based on Padstow but I still want to keep the turntable by the sea as it is such a beautiful location. (As I'm adding a small locoshed based on Bude's -- for the limited steam services -- off the turntable I can add a diesel servicing area, too!) The goods shed will be based on Wadebridge as all sidings will be on one side of the (modified) station only. (Does anyone have any scale plans for Wadebridge goods shed? I have a lot of pictures of it but no plans.)

I have added an island platform with awning to my station plan, opposite the original platform for operational reasons. (I'm assuming the SR added it in the 1930s in their standard style with the sttaion name at the end.) The WH Smiths kiosk (as at Bude) will go there to serve departing passengers. A standard SR concrete footbridge will link the platforms.

I want to keep the distinctive latticed signals but will need more than the prototype had because of the two extra tracks used for passenger trains. I suppose the exits from the goods yard and the loco shed area will also need full signals whilst ground signals will suffice within the yards. Ideally, I’d like working signals. (I’m not thinking of interlocking although with a notebook PC and software I suppose that could be added with DCC operation? Maybe, later, a tablet computer with an Android app.?)

Chris in Prague

On recommendation, have just ordered "Southern Country Stations - 1.London South Western Railway" to aid me modelling a station based on Padstow but with features from Halwill Junction, Bude, and Okehampton!

Chris in Prague

If the station "core" (minus the jetty lines) of Padstow from the carriage siding end stops to the "headshunt" beyond the turntable is about 16 feet long and of a manageable width (3 feet?) in 4mm before "selective" compression", is the equivalent in N (2mm) about 8 feet by 1 1/2 feet? (Somewhere I have a 4:1 ratio not 2:1, in mind!)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations