Scottish Trip - Day 2 - 5.8.22

Started by Newportnobby, August 08, 2022, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Following on from my thread about Day 1...........
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57494.msg770677#msg770677

........this should be subtitled 'Trains, Planes and (one) automobile - with a nod to @Lawrence for that.
So - we started off with a trip to Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre (a place new to Lawrence as well). I would urge anyone to visit as it is fascinating but, as usual, I got a little emotional over some of the exhibits ::).

More detail here.....................
https://rafmontrose.org.uk

There is a tale to tell about the Tornado GR4 on display but I think Lawrence would be better informed to relate that.

Whilst in the area, Lawrence wanted to show me the 'Bridge of Dun' and we came across another preserved railway, the Caledonian Railway (Brechin) Limited. Quite a lot of stock here but they certainly have plenty of work to do.............

More detail here...........
https://caledonianrailway.com

The last pic is not the 'Bridge of Dun' which is, in fact, an old roadbridge built in the 1780s
https://canmore.org.uk/site/131462/bridge-of-dun

Next up - the experiences of modern rail travel twixt Leyland and Dundee :uneasy:

emjaybee

I'm loving those external frame goods wagons. Any idea who's they are? I.e. LMS, LNER, Midland etc.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on August 08, 2022, 11:24:42 AM
I'm loving those external frame goods wagons. Any idea who's they are? I.e. LMS, LNER, Midland etc.

Quite possibly LMS as they ran the branch 1923 - 1947. See 'About Us'..............

https://caledonianrailway.com

Dorsetmike

Nice to see some of the RAF thing at Montrose, my most enjoyable flight was in an Anson from Gaydon to Honington, and the Navy Vampire reminded me of working on  6 Sqdn Venom FB4s in Iraq and Cyprus

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Steven B

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 08, 2022, 10:55:23 AM

The green ones (first three/four counting from the left) are BR standard Palvans (NGS Kit 63).  Nearly 2400 were built in 1953 with the intention that they'd be easier to load with a fork-lift than the standard BR vans (and those inherited from the big four). They weren't very stable at speed and so didn't last long, but many ended up owned by the Mod (hence the green livery).

The red one with unpainted doors looks like it might be a pre-nationalisation design - my guess is LMS.

The remaining two before the LMS brake van look like the BR standard VanFit - available from Farish.

There's another two after the coach, but they're not clear enough to see what they are. If I had to guess I'd say they're both a BR VanWide (not available unless you back-date the underframe of the Sonic VEA).

Steven B.

Lawrence

Great pictures @Newportnobby and it was great to have Mick up for a few days despite his travails on the train up.
As for the GR4, well I was chatting to a couple of the volunteers who, unfortunately knew nothing about them. Having worked on the GR1 and F3 I was able to point a few things out, at some point I handed the reigns of Fudge (the little white fluffy thing in a couple of the pictures) to Mick and myself and one of the lads nipped over the barriers and I started opening panels. This is where the battery is, where the LOX pot goes, where the weapons systems boxes should be, round the other side to show the circuit breaker panels and a bloody great bag of ballast fell out  :doh:
Final thing was to show the nitrogen gauge for the canopy accumulator, associated Schrader valve (obscured by the taileron) and how to pump it up manually, they are hoping to get hydraulics on it soon having just installed the engines. Was tempted to manually operate the hook release just to see the guys face but I resisted  ;)
Then at the mention of needing volunteers, I gathered up Fudge and made a hasty retreat, Mick following on rapidly.
All in all it was a great couple of days, Mick was even brave enough to eat my home cooking and we look forward to him being able to drive again and visit again.
Sausage and Big Nose send their love Uncle Mick  ;)

joe cassidy

I understand that Mick's favourite food is now mince & tatties ?

TrevL

@Newportnobby, Mick, in the photo of the two green carriages (DMU?) after the LMS brake van, they look to me abnormally long, are they, or is it a trick of the lens?
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

@TrevL I'm sure it's just the perspective from the lens when shooting down the length, Trev. I doubt these guys have the capability/kit to do a 'cut and shut'. Further up you'll see a pic of some maroon MK1s with the same effect.

RailGooner

Fantastic piccies - thanks for posting Mick! Special huzzah for the RAF crest, the Bofors gun, Austin 7 and Miles Magister. Looks and sounds like a good time was had on the visit even if getting there was a drag.
:beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:

Newportnobby

@RailGooner
Thanks, but the Austin you refer to is actually a Hillman ;)
Glad you like the pics, though.

RailGooner

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 10, 2022, 09:13:10 PM
@RailGooner
Thanks, but the Austin you refer to is actually a Hillman ;)

:doh: :-[ And the clue was right there in front of my eyes! My aged eyes.  :goggleeyes: :D

Lawrence

Quote from: joe cassidy on August 09, 2022, 11:44:34 AM
I understand that Mick's favourite food is now mince & tatties ?

No mince & tatties this time @joe cassidy  ;) but that may be on the menu next time he visits although I think the green Thai curry may make another appearance  ;D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations