Os8 on Ipad

Started by Bob Tidbury, September 21, 2014, 04:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

You'd better avoid OS.62 then. Could spoil a good year.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Pengi

Bob,

If you are near an Apple store (list of stores) you could take the iPad in an explain the issue with the upgrade. Might be best to phone first if you are travelling far

or you could contact Apple Support. If they cannot sort out your issue quickly then you may have to pay

There is also some on-line help for iPads (link)

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Bob Tidbury

:thankyousign: Pengi I think me and my son will have to book some time at our nearest store which is Reading I tried  online but it didn't help  My IPad actualy locked up completly just now It wouldn't even respond to the OFF button . Will get my son to backup every thing tomorrow morning he's on a late shift today so won't be home till late to night. :sorrysign: I keep on but  I just hope nobody else has trouble like this I'm lost without the forum and my Emails.
Bob

MikeDunn

I'm sure they'll be very happy to explain how you're using it wrong & there's really nothing the matter with the unit  >:D

Quote from: newportnobby on September 22, 2014, 09:57:42 AM
Quote from: Greybeema on September 22, 2014, 07:37:31 AM
The old adage was never take even numbered releases.  Odd number releases have the bug fixes for the evens...
That's good to know 'cos I'm 61 this year :worried:
SWMBO had a good laugh at this - until I pointed out the year I was born in & so I was OK ... when the penny dropped with her, I got walloped !!!  Yes, she's an even-number year  ::)

Bob Tidbury

:thankyousign: Thankyou for all your help Pengi . I will try all the Ideas again on Saturday with my eldest son , also thanks to anyone else who has tried to help ,Wish I hadn't taken notice of my neighbour who said the update was good he obviously has a newer model than mine .
Bob

Malc

In theory Bob, if the upgrade isn't suitable, it won't be offered. My wife's iPad is a first issue with no camera and has stopped at OS5. Maybe it didn't install correctly.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Pengi

Apple has withdrawn IOS 8.0.1 and recommends owners downgrade

Article on downgrading from IOS8 to IOS7

DCCDave

Quote from: Pengi on September 25, 2014, 06:28:33 PM
Apple has withdrawn IOS 8.0.1 and recommends owners downgrade
Article on downgrading from IOS8 to IOS7

Please be very careful before you go this route, it's easy to get it wrong and end up with a none working iPad/iPhone or loss of data.

Apple are not recommending downgrade, but some 'fan' sites are. Apple are recommending you wait a week or two while they rush out a patch. If you haven't installed IOS8 yet I'd suggest you don't until things have stabilised.

By the way the article linked to says that previous versions are disabled within days. This is rubbish, one of my Pads is still running IOS6. I can't update software on it, but it runs just fine.

Cheers
Dave

Pengi

Quote from: DCCDave on September 25, 2014, 06:37:17 PM

By the way the article linked to says that previous versions are disabled within days. This is rubbish, one of my Pads is still running IOS6. I can't update software on it, but it runs just fine.

Cheers
Dave
I think what they mean is that the ability to revert to a previous version is disabled rather than any device using an older version of IOS is disabled. I am still running 5.1.1 on an iPad and all is well

Bob Tidbury

I would like to say a big :thankyousign: to all the forum team who have helped me over my inability to understand  the    in my opinion complicated technology  called an IPad  .joining this forum has been such a help to me in lots of ways .
It has given me the opertunity to talk to new friends all over the world with the same hobby as me and I hope I've helped a few people with my limited knowledge of model railways :NGaugersRule:
Bob

Geoff

My ipad is playing up since putting on 8 but I will not go backwards with an update, I am thinking they will surely come out with a new update, all my web pages do not flow properly since the update, there always seems to be lag when scrolling, so mad they put this update out before a full test.
Geoff

DCCDave

I had to upgrade my development iPad to IOS8 and suffered all sorts of 'broken internet' problems. I fixed them by:

Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services and turn off WiFi Networking (this service provides Apple with details of your local network - it does not impact your ability to access the Internet).

Next I disconnected my WiFi connection and reconnected. Bingo! all problems gone.

It's worth a try (and you can always turn it back on if it doesn't solve your problem).

Cheers
Dave

Geoff

Quote from: DCCDave on September 25, 2014, 09:15:32 PM
I had to upgrade my development iPad to IOS8 and suffered all sorts of 'broken internet' problems. I fixed them by:

Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services and turn off WiFi Networking (this service provides Apple with details of your local network - it does not impact your ability to access the Internet).

Next I disconnected my WiFi connection and reconnected. Bingo! all problems gone.

It's worth a try (and you can always turn it back on if it doesn't solve your problem).

Cheers
Dave

Nice one Dave that has cured that problem, any more issues I know where to come to  ;)
Geoff

DCCDave

Quote from: Geoff on September 25, 2014, 09:47:30 PM
Nice one Dave that has cured that problem, any more issues I know where to come to  ;)

Great, I'm pleased it sorted the problem.

Can't claim the credit, I read it on the web somewhere (on my trusty Windows PC). :)

Cheers
Dave

Railwaygun

8.0.2 is now released

Seems better BUT

1i cannot search for apps
2 auto entry Iof data on web forms causes safari to lock up
3 slow internet helped by 2 reboots ( why??)

Nr
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23