Decal Paper

Started by Nick, February 22, 2019, 08:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Pye

Hi all,

Yes, Mr DecalPaper is a good source and I have had no problems with using it. You can find it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/9998630031?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Mr%20Decal%20Paper&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_9998630031

Just remember that there are two types, clear and white, depending on what you are printing. Also, variants for laser or inkjet.

As stated, once printed - and always do a test print on normal paper - then let it dry and then do a few (I do at least 3) thin top coats of varnish. When applying, make sure the surface is clean and then coat with gloss varnish spray, and then using Micro Set/Sol go through the process of applying the decals. After you have the decal set in the right location, dab with a clean cotton bud tip to get rid of water and keep it flat. I then let it dry before coating again with a gloss coat, and once that is dry, then a flat coat.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Quote from: Doc Pye on March 05, 2019, 12:09:09 AM
Yes, Mr DecalPaper is a good source and I have had no problems with using it. You can find it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/9998630031?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Mr%20Decal%20Paper&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_9998630031

As stated, once printed - and always do a test print on normal paper - then let it dry and then do a few (I do at least 3) thin top coats of varnish. [snip] I then let it dry before coating again with a gloss coat, and once that is dry, then a flat coat.

Hope this helps.
@Doc Pye

It certainly does. :)

Can I ask what varnish you use? I have a horror of spraying the paper with some incompatible product that creates general mayhem. I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I'm struggling to find specifics and there are so many varnishes out there. So personal experience would be very useful.

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Doc Pye

For the decal sheets I coat mine with some gloss acrylic varnish (most will do). My first coat is very light and I make sure everything is colorfast. I then let that dry and put on a 2nd coat.

Here is a basic 'how to' vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKFxzJvH1U

For application, I coat the item with a spray of Future, then apply decals using Micro Sol/Set system, then once dry, recoat with a spray of Future, and then once that is dry, a coat of Dullcoat.

Nick

Thanks. I usually use Humbrol Acrylic varnishes, not least because my local model shop stocks them.

Any experience using them?

Also, does Future still work? I thought that they'd changed the formula. Or the name. Or both... I get very confused reading about Future on the Web...
Nick

Doc Pye

I stopped using Humbrol stuff years ago...and never looked back.

I tend to use Vallejo or Mig/Ammo paints these days. Vallejo does some good gloss varnish. Testor's Dullcoat is still good, despite them screwing with the formula over the years. As for Future, I have the American stuff and it still works. The EU in their infinite wisdom messed with the formula, so that one doesn't work well. However, you can just use any gloss spray, as the key is to put your decals on a gloss surface, as that is more even.

Hope this helps.

Nick

I think the only varnish sprays that  my LMS stock are Humbrol. I do like to buy what I can from them. "Use it or lose it" definitely applies.

They do stock Vallejo paints but, having shifted to Humbrol Acrylics from enamels a few years back, I am reluctant to go the trouble and expense of shifting again.The early acrylics could be a little erratic, but I don't have problems with them now. I usually use Railmatch Acrylics for rail-specific colours.

Nick

Doc Pye

Should be okay. Give it a test and find out. Remember, do 3 coats sprayed thinly on the decal sheet, with each coat allowed to dry in a dust free environment.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations