Hattons!!!

Started by Calnefoxile, March 28, 2015, 02:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calnefoxile

Hattons have stand here at Ally Pally, but before you all get excited there's no stock it's just a dcc fitting service plus they're taking pre-orders for a wagon they're commissioning.

They are going to produce the ICI hoppers in OO. But when I approached them all excited and said "Oh great, are you going to produce them in N at some time??" The answer I got was a categoric "NO, there's no plans to do anything in N!!"

Needless to say I was shocked and just stood there like a lemon, open mouthed at the persons arrogance that I dared even mention N gauge, myself and my friend said, loudly enough to be heard,"Well that's the last time we buy anything from you lot" and walked off, the person who spoke to us, just shrugged his shoulders and went back to doing what Hattons do best, taking money!!!!

I must admit I was gobsmacked, not necessarily at the response, but the way it was delivered, almost as if Hattons have disdain for anything other than OO, because it's they're main revenue stream.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest, But I won't be buying from Hattons again.

Regards

Neal.

Roy L S

Sounds very arrogant and dismissive, I wonder if that is definite Hattons policy communicated there by someone in authority.

If it is it would appear very short sighted albeit on reflection no different to Kernow or others currently do.

In fact the only N commissions I can think of are those the NGS has undertaken now I think about it.

Thank goodness for Ben and Mike's RevolutioN crowd sourcing venture!

Roy

scruff

I can think of a few Roy

Class 86, mk3 coaches and 156 by C&M models

Class 60 and 121 by Kernow

Class 60 by Buffers

Class 37 by TMC

The only thing is that these are all reliveries of propriety items and as far as I know there has never been a new tooling aimed at N gauge. Seems we should be used to being the poor relations now!  :censored:

:NGaugersRule:

Cheers
Mark

Roy L S

Sorry, yes I was meaning newly tooled models rather than exclusive liveries run from existing tooling.

Roy

Paddy

What about the China clay wagons from Kernow?

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Roy L S

Quote from: Paddy on March 28, 2015, 03:07:51 PM
What about the China clay wagons from Kernow?

Paddy

Hi Paddy

Yes, you are right, the Kernow Clay Hoods, I had completely forgotten about them...

Fair play to Kernow then.

Roy

austinbob

Quote from: Calnefoxile on March 28, 2015, 02:00:09 PM

Hattons have stand here at Ally Pally, but before you all get excited there's no stock it's just a dcc fitting service plus they're taking pre-orders for a wagon they're commissioning.

They are going to produce the ICI hoppers in OO. But when I approached them all excited and said "Oh great, are you going to produce them in N at some time??" The answer I got was a categoric "NO, there's no plans to do anything in N!!"

Needless to say I was shocked and just stood there like a lemon, open mouthed at the persons arrogance that I dared even mention N gauge, myself and my friend said, loudly enough to be heard,"Well that's the last time we buy anything from you lot" and walked off, the person who spoke to us, just shrugged his shoulders and went back to doing what Hattons do best, taking money!!!!

I must admit I was gobsmacked, not necessarily at the response, but the way it was delivered, almost as if Hattons have disdain for anything other than OO, because it's they're main revenue stream.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest, But I won't be buying from Hattons again.

Regards

Neal.
Maybe you just happened to meet a couple of hacked off salesmen who would rather be spending their weekend somewhere else.. My personal experience of all my contacts with Hattons staff has been good. :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

sparky

My experience of Hattons has been very good...not sure stamping of feet always helps even if at the time it makes us all feel better !

Richard G Dallimore

Neal is only reporting the response and attitude he received in a face to face situation in a public arena so lets not jump on the the defend Hattons at all cost band wagon. If they were rude they were rude, that is not excusable and if it showed contempt for our scale it is even worse. It may not be company policy but it has been portrayed as such.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

simong

If you are looking for a different model shop to buy from I have just ordered a fair bit from Model Railways Direct (http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk).  Having checked the prices between Hattons and MRD, MRD were actually cheaper overall.  Better still the order was placed Friday pm and I have had a email to say it will be delivered on Monday.

mark100

Quote from: Roy L S on March 28, 2015, 02:36:24 PM
Sorry, yes I was meaning newly tooled models rather than exclusive liveries run from existing tooling.

Roy
It would be nice to see the N Gauge Farish Peaks commissioned as marker light and split head code variations, Model Zone got Bachmann to retool them in 00 Gauge to marker light variations, so it can be done if a retailer thinks they can shift 514 models

Mark 
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Ben A

Hello all,

The attitude of Hattons's stand staff as reported is poor, but at the same time not entirely unexpected.

N Gauge does not seem to do well in the repaint commissions market - Kernow commissioned the green IKB Class 60 and it struggled to sell (it did not help that the real thing blew up within days of the model coming out!) while C&M's excellent blue Class 86s also took a lot longer to shift than a comparable OO model - so investing in new tooling is an even bigger gamble.

I am not sure why this is, but I suspect there may be two key factors:

1)  The market is smaller

2)  It tends to be more "adult" (most kids or "casual" hobbyists will go for Hornby size) and in this market people are more set on what they want, and more likely to only buy items they specifically need.  So the skill, IMO, comes in selecting your prototype.

With the NGS I have been careful to select items (with the Committee) that have a very long service life (ie Qm brake - 1936-present) or offer something a little different (eg Snowplough), or are a complete train in themselves (Inspection Saloon) or just complement other items (Collet BG goes with parcels trains, standard passenger trains and even with milk tanks.)

The NGS has discussed the ICI hoppers before funnily enough for a kit, but the bogies are one-offs and that dissuaded us a little!

However, if you were interested in sponsoring such a project for Revolution then my recommendation would be to wait until Oxford have the OO CAD designs (probably in around 6 months) then, assuming Hattons still have no interest in N, ask Oxford what their minimum order would be, and how much each wagon would cost, and then see if it sounds viable.

cheers

Ben A.

mark100

Quote from: Ben A on March 28, 2015, 06:10:28 PM
Hello all,

The attitude of Hattons's stand staff as reported is poor, but at the same time not entirely unexpected.

N Gauge does not seem to do well in the repaint commissions market - Kernow commissioned the green IKB Class 60 and it struggled to sell (it did not help that the real thing blew up within days of the model coming out!) while C&M's excellent blue Class 86s also took a lot longer to shift than a comparable OO model - so investing in new tooling is an even bigger gamble.

I am not sure why this is, but I suspect there may be two key factors:

1)  The market is smaller

2)  It tends to be more "adult" (most kids or "casual" hobbyists will go for Hornby size) and in this market people are more set on what they want, and more likely to only buy items they specifically need.  So the skill, IMO, comes in selecting your prototype.

With the NGS I have been careful to select items (with the Committee) that have a very long service life (ie Qm brake - 1936-present) or offer something a little different (eg Snowplough), or are a complete train in themselves (Inspection Saloon) or just complement other items (Collet BG goes with parcels trains, standard passenger trains and even with milk tanks.)

The NGS has discussed the ICI hoppers before funnily enough for a kit, but the bogies are one-offs and that dissuaded us a little!

However, if you were interested in sponsoring such a project for Revolution then my recommendation would be to wait until Oxford have the OO CAD designs (probably in around 6 months) then, assuming Hattons still have no interest in N, ask Oxford what their minimum order would be, and how much each wagon would cost, and then see if it sounds viable.

cheers

Ben A.
It would be nice to see the old UKF Fertiliser wagons in N scale, I was looking at the Lima OO Gauge model the other day and was thinking a rake of those in N would look great.

Mark
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang,

I tend to agree with Neal (for once!) that recently Hattons have been showing an arrogance unbecoming of their previous behaviour. Adding this episode to their disdain over the pre-order price fiasco and they have shown themselves to be more akin to the large trader than having any empathy with modellers.

I too, will now look to other, smaller traders who appreciate the business more and respond in a quick and friendlier manner. The prices are broadly similar these days too....

Luckily, I didn't go to Ally Pally, as that sort of attitude shown to Neal may have ended in both barrels coming their way.

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

EtchedPixels

For the UKF fertilizer wagons take a look at

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FGLVBX2CT/pwa-uk-fertiliser-wagon-n-scale

Add bogies, clean and paint. No connection - just a satisfied customer.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations