Torquay

Started by Donkey, June 07, 2012, 11:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkey

Taking my beloved to Torquay tomorrow for a 4 day break  :). Are there any model shops there that I should check out? Also what is the station/local area like for a bit of spotting, assuming I am allowed  :smiley-laughing:

Marty

scotsoft

I have never been so cannot give you any advice there.

You might want to try www.yell.com for model shops in Torquay (at least it is free to use).

I do hope you and your beloved have a very enjoyable trip  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

edwin_m

According to this page there is one in Torquay plus another one just along the coast in Paignton (frequent bus service as well as trains).  I think there was a second one in Paignton fairly recently but as it's not on that list I guess it may have gone. 

Torquay station must be pretty boring these days - Sprinters plus the occasional Voyager or HST.  There would be more to see at Newton Abbot.  The steam railway from Paignton to Kingswear is well worth a ride, with excellent scenery though not too much of railway interest.  From Kingswear you can get a short ferry crossing to the historic town of Dartmouth. 

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/Devon

Newportnobby

What ever you find, and whatever you do.......have a great time, Marty :thumbsup:

Malc

Quote from: Donkey on June 07, 2012, 11:24:34 AM
Taking my beloved to Torquay tomorrow for a 4 day break  :). Are there any model shops there that I should check out? Also what is the station/local area like for a bit of spotting, assuming I am allowed  :smiley-laughing:

Marty

I'm off down to Torquay in a couple of weeks..going on a trip on the Paignton and Dartmouth railway, amongst other delights. Let us know if you find any decent model shops.

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

guest311

depending on the weather Babbacombe model village is worth a vist.

Donkey

Quote from: Malc on June 07, 2012, 02:40:10 PM
Quote from: Donkey on June 07, 2012, 11:24:34 AM

Marty

I'm off down to Torquay in a couple of weeks..going on a trip on the Paignton and Dartmouth railway, amongst other delights. Let us know if you find any decent model shops.

Malc

I certainly will Malc

Marty

HSB

Hi,
I'm afraid there are no model railway shops in Torquay at present, only a military/fantasy figure shop in Market St.
There is a model railway shop in the middle of Paignton (Hyde Rd) with a fair selection of British N gauge items while in Newton Abbot there is Bekra R/C who are a general modelling shop but carries a small stock of N gauge. They also have Plastruct, wood and brass sections and a good selection of modelling tools. Also in Newton Abbot is Austins department store which has a model railway department at the rear of the toy department.
Hope the weather has improved by the time you get here!

OwL

Funnily enough I went to Torquay in Feb.

Paignton models is your best bet, literally a stone throw away from the station and has some N Gauge. I bought a decent MK3 coach from him and it was reasonable on price although I don't mind paying a bit more at independent local model shops.

For spotting try heading over to Dawlish. From Torquay catch a train to Newton abbot then get a connection to Dawlish (you may even get a direct, should take about 45 mins) . It's well worth it for some spotting and is right near the sea wall. Lovely area.

Enjoy and bring back some pictures :camera:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

port perran

There's also the South Devon Railway shop at Buckfastleigh and the model shop at the old Okehampton station.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

bbdave

Buckfast is better plus Ratio have an outlet there for buildings the shop at Paignton is good but not much N stuff helpful though the chip shop down the road selling battered chips is worth a visit.

Dave

Sprintex

Keep up Dave, he's already been and come back and put the pictures up a week ago  :smiley-laughing:

Paul

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations