RIP Gordon Lightfoot

Started by Papyrus, May 02, 2023, 05:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

Just read on the BBC News that Gordon Lightfoot has died aged 84. One of only 3 bands/artistes I regret never having seen live (the others being Simon and Garfunkel and The Bothy Band...). Apparently he was gigging right up to the end, so he had a career of nearly 70 years. He wrote some great songs, many covered by other people; Bob Dylan was a fan. I need to dig out some of his albums again - too long since I heard some of them.

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

As a rule I liked his music, especially the track 'Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'

NGS-PO

An excellent and engaging songwriter.

As a rule, I preferred his songs sung by others. My father has a record by George Hamilton IV of Lightfoot songs and it is up there with my favourite albums of all time.

Early Morning Rain, Home From The Forest, Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle, and the simply wonderful Steel Rail Blues are examples of songwriting at its finest.

Thanks Gordon.

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Bealman

Yeah, I was a fan of his work.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

To me his greatest song was the Canadian Railroad Trilogy about the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway across Canada in the 1880s:

https://youtu.be/PXzauTuRG78

and Sundown:

https://youtu.be/1IBdZ645S-o

Lots of other great songs and a great voice. RIP.

Webbo

joe cassidy

"If you could read my mind love" was my favourite.

grumbeast

Canada has lost a treasure for sure, love the Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations