Dapol - non-tender locomotives

Started by geofff, March 26, 2023, 12:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello

I have had numerous issues with Dapol tender driven locos (mainly the connecting cable). Is anyone aware of any  issues with Dapol non-tender driven models?

ntpntpntp

Early models (14xx, 45xx) not well matched motor and gearing, can be tricky to get decent slow speed (though I have to say my early 14xx is much better than my two 45xx).  Not particularly high quality motors.  Also possibilities of the quartering going out of position as the axles aren't keyed.

I believe some have stub axles and live bearing bushings (rather than wiper contacts) which must be kept clear of lubrication otherwise the conductivity deteriorates and they lose pickup.

Some detail parts are glued to body and chassis, hindering disassembly for maintenance.

the 0-4-4T seems to be renowned for poor haulage (they're redesigning that one).

They do offer some attractive models though. The Terrier seems to be a lovely little thing, mine's very good.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Chris Morris

I put wires with stronger connectors/soldering between loco and tender. Works fine. The gearing of the earlier models was too high but my 45xx runs fine. 57xx - do not under any circumstances get oil on the axles - runs fine otherwise.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Newportnobby

Quote from: ntpntpntp on March 26, 2023, 01:11:59 PM
Early models (14xx, 45xx) not well matched motor and gearing, can be tricky to get decent slow speed. The Terrier seems to be a lovely little thing, mine's very good.

I agree with everything above, although my 14xx and 45xx were from the very first runs. My Ivatt 2MT is not a particularly decent runner.
I look forward to getting the improved (?) M7 whenever Dapol extract the digit.

Bigmac

Quote from: geofff on March 26, 2023, 12:34:30 PM
Hello

I have had numerous issues with Dapol tender driven locos (mainly the connecting cable). Is anyone aware of any  issues with Dapol non-tender driven models?

ive given up with those cables--now i make my own using the type of flex used in dcc wiring.  I got a 10 metre spool for a reasonable price.  I just strip the ends and wind it round a tiny screwdriver to create a loop--no soldering.
Then the next issue is those tiny scews--but a touch of tacky wax on the screwdriver tip helps.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

joe cassidy

My Dapol locos (A3/A4/Schools) run OK without connecting wires.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations