Do you love your locos so much..

Started by Ontrack, October 21, 2020, 09:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

Quote from: PLD on October 21, 2020, 07:53:14 PMI'd love to be able to understand what some do different to cause them to suffer so many problems so we could help them avoid failures.

In my opinion it's mostly old vintage points or poorly laid track, however there are bullet proof locos that will keep on running regardless and it's not related to age like some 20 year old Kato's
Some of my older locos are the best in terms of weight for traction, good power and reliability.
The newer models are definately lighter and often need traction tyres and dont like anything but perfect track so your layout/s must be first class if you have never had a problem.

GrahamB

I've never experienced any motor failures. Except for when running on my test track, none of my locos run for any more that a minute or two before stopping.

I have had traction tyres fail though. That has only seemed to be after running at an exhibition with live steam nearby. Instead of the usual morning clean, I found I needed to clean/degrease every couple of hours. Despite this, the tyres will absorb the oil and expand as a result. For those reasons I now refuse to exhibit in the same hall as live steam and this is made clear in my "Exhibition Manager's Notes" sheet that I pass to anyone enquiring.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Leon

My purpose for buying locomotives (and other rolling stock) is to handle them and run them on my tracks. There are two caveats, though. For their cost, model locomotives should be more robust in construciton and secondly, every modeller should be able to repair them (or willing to learn). I can't control the cost and I'm unwilling to learn the maintenance tricks that are essential for keep them running. So, I really shouldn't be doing the model train thing!!!  :) I'm just running my trains until the don't run anymore and then I'm finished.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Ontrack

I love the diverse nature and way different people come together here with how they treat their locos from not using them at home (exhibition only) to like myself expecting them to run forever!
There really isn't a right or wrong way to treat them but handling with care usually pays dividends.
Feel like I'm getting to know some of you, thank you all for your input. :)

Bealman

Dunno if I've already said it, but welcome to the best model railway forum in cyberspace!  :thumbsup: ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations