Do you reckon Heljan will ever venture into N gauge?

Started by Newportnobby, February 29, 2012, 06:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I've just seen the new Heljan models of railbuses and the Baby Deltic (alias class 23)
I have absolutely no idea what Heljan stuff is like as I've not had any 00 stuff since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper, but believe they have improved immeasureably since they began.

I just want a Baby Deltic as being a great fit for my location/era, and I recall others wanting railbuses for their layouts :thumbsup:

OwL

One word- No!

Heljan did/do O gauge as well, N gauge isnt that popular in Denmark which is where Heljan reside. Just my opinion btw,before I trigger ww3 for being smart.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

painbrook

I wish they would, from what I've heard from fellow modellers it is quality stuff. Cheers john.

Newportnobby

Quote from: owl729 on February 29, 2012, 06:58:04 PM
One word- No!

Heljan did/do O gauge as well, N gauge isnt that popular in Denmark which is where Heljan reside. Just my opinion btw,before I trigger ww3 for being smart.

Steadily shrinking then :smiley-laughing:

OwL

:Class414:
Quote from: newportnobby on February 29, 2012, 08:22:23 PM
One word- No!

Steadily shrinking then :smiley-laughing:

What? Their scale or Denmark? Which one :smiley-laughing:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Tank

Quote from: newportnobby on February 29, 2012, 06:36:06 PM
I just want a Baby Deltic as being a great fit for my location/era,

I have one you can borrow if you like?! ;D

Old picture, but it's in the bottom left if you haven't got your glasses on. ;)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tank on February 29, 2012, 08:40:48 PM

Er, you might find this shocking :o but I'm not after that livery :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Tank

I am shocked!!!   :smiley-laughing:

Heritage N made the resin kit, and they occasionally turn up on a certain auction site.

PLD

General concensus among 4mm modellers is that Heljan's models are well made and robust (especially good mechanisims, except for the first batch of one type with a reputation for burning the motors out) but they have a nasty habit of getting details of the appearance wrong - their first UK loco the class 47 was notorious for being over a scale foot too wide, and the front end of the recent Electric loco clearly isn't right even to non-expects on the class...

Now if we could have Heljan engineering standards for the chassis but Dapol do the bodywork that would be something special...

H

Quote from: PLD on March 01, 2012, 08:59:08 AM. . . .  they have a nasty habit of getting details of the appearance wrong . . . .

Yep, Heljan have a reputation for getting details/accuracy incorrect. The new OO class 76 (a special for Olivia's Trains) initially look very good but there are issues with the cab roof (flat instead of rounded), cab windows (positioning), etc. The Baby Deltic apparently suffers from underscale headcode panel and wrong curvature on nose and roof. So I'm not so sure I'd want them to produce N gauge model stock/locos unless they could sort out such things first.

H.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: newportnobby on February 29, 2012, 09:14:11 PM

Er, you might find this shocking :o but I'm not after that livery :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Got the body from a  Lone Star 000,  one in green if you think you can use it its yours !
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

EtchedPixels

The Lone Star one can be fitted to a Bachmann US chassis with some dremelling and the like plus new buffer beams. I used to have one long ago (not one I made). Since it consisted almost entirely of chassis block and metal body it was a rather good runner.

The Heritage N shell (or Silver Fox I believe actually own the tools) was rather more accurate.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on March 01, 2012, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on February 29, 2012, 09:14:11 PM

Got the body from a  Lone Star 000,  one in green if you think you can use it its yours !

Hi Jerry,
Many thanks - PM sent :thumbsup:

Matthew-peter

Their new railbus does appeal to me, however I dont think they would go to Ngauge, if Ngauge is not a wide market in Denmark like Owl says it would not be justifiable for them.
Dapol do seem to be the kind of people to do the railbus i think, although a conversion from a fleischmann RENFE BR VT95 Railbus IV could be doable, I think if the chasis from said unit and a kit built body was used?
N gauge isnt that popular in Denmark which is where Heljan reside.
OK who took my cake?

BobB

Well GF and Dapol are competing quite well at the moment and there are a few other minority manufacturers out there. Should Heljen start to make N gauge then I say welcome.

It's true that they have made some mistakes but I think they were unfairly treated over the roof profile at the cab ends for their class 33. I thought it looked Ok and it ran really well. I doubt if the perfect (reasonably priced) model has hit the shelves yet. Maybe Heljen will do it ?

Actually I doubt they will start any time soon - 3.5/4 mm scale remains the biggest in Europe so why enter a smaller market ? Unless of course they can start a 2mm scale that has a track gauge and body size that is accurate. (They could do that in HO/OO as well !)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations