Fpr determined coffee drinkers

Started by Newportnobby, February 11, 2012, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

When I was in my 40's, I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation, given some leaflets and packed off home from the hospital with prescriptions for various medicines. Looking through one leaflet from the British Heart Foundation, I was horrified to read about the effects of caffeine as I am a coffeeholic and drink a minimum of 12-14 cups a day. Oh well, I thought, time to kick the caffeine and go defannicated. After a week of serious headaches (later I was informed these were part of the withdrawal symptoms) all was well and my sleep patterns had improved markedly.
If any readers of this post drink way too much coffee, I would suggest you follow my example and go defaecated. Not only can you drink as much as you (or your bladder) can stand, but I sleep between 7-8 hours a night without trouble. Here's what I drink (other brands are available of course. Instant and filter coffee (suggest using milk powder in the filtered version), but I would like to know if anyone else drinks decaffeinated (just to prove I can spell it when I want to) and if so, do you have a favourite. Stay healthy - sleep well :wave:

Lawrence

It also does wonders for your memory apparently, if you can remember back to your 40's it must be good stuff  :smiley-laughing: (that's a pint back  ;) )

Must admit I am like you - at least a dozen cups of black coffee daily and wouldn't dream of giving up  :o I do balance it out with frequent consumption of red wine though just to flush the system through  ;D

Chris

Can't stand coffee but am an avid tea drinker. I now have 2 cups of normal tea in the mornings to keep me going then stick to decaf the rest of the day.

poliss

Chappie goes to the doctors.
He says. "Doctor, I want to live to be a hundred."
Doctor asks. "Do you smoke?"
Chappie. "The evil weed? Never in my life!"
Doctor. "Do you drink?"
Chappie. "Not a drop of alcohol has ever passed my lips! I'm Tee-total"
Doctor. "How about women? Had lots of girlfriends?"
Chappie. "Women! No doctor sir. I'm celibate and always will be."
Doctor. "Then why the hell do you want to live to be a hundred???????"

I'm just off for a cup of caffiene packed filter coffee.

Oldman

Don't think de-caf would help with my addiction  to Expresso :evil:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Kipper

I have converted myself to Redbush tea. The only problem, which disappears with time (you just get used to it), is that it smells like warm Germoline!

scotsoft

I do not resemble anything remotely human till after at least three mugs of strong coffee in the morning.

This carries on throughout the day at regular intervals and if I can't sleep at night, I get up make a mug of strong coffee and drink it then go back to bed and fall asleep.

I suppose your body gets used to it  ???

cheers John.

Bikeracer

Coffee, either normal or decaffeinated also contains an enzyme that can trouble IBS sufferers.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Fratton

i managed to shake the coffe deamon a few years back, working nights doing security i would always make alliances at festivals with as many coffe suppliers as possible to ensure i had a constant stream all night long,,,, (there was also a pretty constant stream at the portaloos after shift)

things were getting really bad when i was putting one maybe two shots of expresso in my coffee, costa was my first stop whenever going anywhere,,,

im on Tetley tea these days 2-3 mugs a night instead of 5-7 coffees,,,
Charlie.

tim-pelican

If you're trying to kick the caffeine - either tea or coffee - then best to do it gradually.  Your system will be accustomed to it, and if you try and go "cold turkey", you're likely to get withdrawal symptoms in the same way as quitting any other substance all at once.

I had a real example of this in my first real job, a heavily-tea drinking office, at least 8 mugs a day of good strong brew Monday to Friday.  Saturday, still being barely past being a student, I'd not get out of bed until pushing lunch-time.  Absolutely blinding headache almost every time, until I realised what was going on, and drank less caffeine at work and a closer amount at home.

These days I'm mostly decaf, if I have the odd one while out and about I can normally do without the next day, but if I'm drinking regular tea or coffee all day (at a meeting or something), I have to scale back down over a few days again.

Nasty stuff really, if you invented it afresh today, I'm sure you'd never be allowed to sell it!

EtchedPixels

go defaecated.

Umm perhaps you do need the coffee 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Having a liking for Costa coffee, I must admit when I'm on the road I just drink their straight Americano so tend to get a caffeine boost when I'm repping. Usually I pay for it by not sleeping very well that night :thumbsdown:
Caffeine is pernicious stuff and certainly no good for you if you have a heart condition of any sort.

Pete Mc

You sometimes have to wonder about all the teens that are knocking around all day drinking their cans of red bull/monster energy drink/relentless whatever getting smacked off their head on this stuff,why they are always fighting and are aggressive to eveyone else.
Apparently,too much cafeine causes heart palpatations and can make you very ill indeed.I drink Pepsi Max mostly,less than a two litre bottle and the occasional cup of tea at snap time at work.Don't have a problem at this level so I won't worry unduly about it,but the sickly sweet smell of the energy drinks makes me wanna barf sometimes.

Pete
:Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations