Getting sick of over stated weather!

Started by Haanaya, December 14, 2014, 07:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haanaya

A rant!

I am sick to the back teeth of over sensationalized weather.  Headlines like "Britain set to freeze in -10 degree freeze" which really means "a few outlaying areas in northern Scotland and right on top of the hills is going to be very cold."

"blizzards expected" means the same, somewhere, someone is going to get some pretty bad weather, but on the south coast while this is going on it's going to be about 5 degrees and although that is pretty cold it isn't newsworthy.

There, piece said.  I'll go and have a drink now and wait for the next muppet who can't tell the difference between a small area of the country and the whole.
Live by Rule one!  (When the wife isn't watching, anyway)

port perran

I agree.
I look outside and make my own mind up.
Gone are the days of a good look at the Synoptic Chart so that we can have a good understanding of what's going to happen.
I've come to the conclusion that when we have a weatherman/woman standing in front of the map generally waving thrir arms then they have no idea.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

The problem, I think, is that the newspapers and the TV and the rest of the media have to report 'HEADLINES' rather than just reporting the news in an unbiased and informative way.

In addition if there is no real news to report then they have to find something, somewhere, to report to attract the masses. This usually includes news?? about celebrities, sport, weather and other items. If the media do report actual news then, have you noticed, it is nearly always bad news.

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

mokjumbo

Don`t ask Michael Fish about the hurricane that wasn`t coming then!

longbridge

Weather forecasters are a joke, they have all the satellites and radar at their disposal and don't have a clue, I love the seven day outlook the give when the cant even get the next days weather right, last Friday we were to get 4 inches of rain but we still hung the washing out and got it dry.

I get sick to death of the way the media sensationalise every thing, even a minor incident seems to go on for a week or so, thank goodness I can escape to the layouts in the shed, frankly I think the world has gone potty.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Kipper

When they had the recent snowstorms in America, the BBC reported that the "whole of America" was under snow. I think the people in Hawaii were anything but! Seems that, if it happens in New York, it is all of America.

Haanaya

So-o-o-o-o glad to hear I am not the only one getting hacked off with 'blanket' weather reports, and for that matter, massively innacurate reports.  I think we'd all have a lot more respect for them if they just admitted that sometimes it's so complicated they don't know.  at least you would be less likely to base the decisions of a whole day on something that does not happen.  :veryangry:

I suppose I am more interested than most in the forecast as I am a window cleaner, and I have learned that even if they say "100% chance of rain with blood than snot and thunder and meteors" I go to work and see what actually happens.  :-\

To be fair they have a nigh on impossible job, but I find I can predict the next 12 hours better than them a lot of the time.

No, I don't want the job.!   :no:
Live by Rule one!  (When the wife isn't watching, anyway)

Kipper

But just looking at the BBCs, (not so) wee scottish weather presenter, Carol, in the morning, brightens up my day!

austinbob

Quote from: Kipper on December 14, 2014, 08:04:11 PM
But just looking at the BBCs, (not so) wee scottish weather presenter, Carol, in the morning, brightens up my day!

Ah.. now that's a different story. There are a lot of really good looking dolly weather presenters at the moment. SWMBO also says she's more than happy with the fella presenters as well!!

So who cares about the weather anyway.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Kipper on December 14, 2014, 08:04:11 PM

Mitts off, Kipper :stop:
I saw her first :P
She has an amazing, erm , smile :D

Note - other lovely weather presenters are available (Lucy, for one :drool:)

Dorsetmike

I think the main problem is we don't have a climate here, just weather! :whistle:
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

austinbob

Quote from: Dorsetmike on December 14, 2014, 09:20:22 PM
I think the main problem is we don't have a climate here, just weather! :whistle:

I think we have an overall climate but the weather within it is so variable and often unpredictable.

It always amazes me that we have 10 day forecasts but we're lucky if the forecast is correct for the next 24 hours. Go figure..

Bob Austin

port perran

We're right in the middle of Cornwall (5 miles to either Coast). It can be beautiful to the south but miserable to the north so we often look outside to decide where we are going.
It is annoying when the TV weather person tells us it's a beautiful start to the day in Cornwall and we look out of the window at torrential rain.
I prefer the bit of seaweed hanging by the door to tell what the weather is.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on December 14, 2014, 08:48:41 PM
Mitts off, Kipper :stop:
I saw her first :P
She has an amazing, erm , smile :D

Note - other lovely weather presenters are available (Lucy, for one :drool:)
Yer welcome to them both !!!

My preference is Hannah Bayman (Look North weathergirl) ...  :drool:  A lovely lass I had the pleasure of a week in Majorca with a few years back ...

Now you can all get yer minds outa the gutter ... we were both on the last presentation of the OU's astronomy residential !!!  Very pretty, very smart girl  :-*

NinOz

Need one of these.
[smg id=19507 type=preview align=center caption="Waterworks park Corromandel NZ"]
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations