Dolls House ideas ?

Started by Jerry Howlett, December 14, 2014, 01:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

I recall that some of you and or your spouses are into Dolls Houses.
Mrs "H" and our daughter in law are thinking of buying grand daughter Mia a dolls house.

Mia is only 2 years old so methinks this is more for the future than today.  Any suggestions types to avoid etc. I am thinking wooden and traditional and costing no more than £150. They live in a period 3 bedroom house so size may not be a problem.
Thanks  Jerry 
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Malc

If I were you Jerry, I'd dig out my woodworking tools and paintbrushes and set to.  :bounce:
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Dorsetmike

If you build it at 2mm:1' you can claim it back when she grows out of it and plant it on yer layout
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

austinbob

Quote from: Dorsetmike on December 14, 2014, 07:03:47 PM
If you build it at 2mm:1' you can claim it back when she grows out of it and plant it on yer layout

I love that idea!! Pretty small dolls needed to fit in though.

Added advantage of the 2mm dolls house is that your grand daughter may become a much needed younger N gauge modeller. With Grand Dad's help of course.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Kipper

Good selection at the Dolls House Emporium, and all the kit you need to fill it up. They are based near Derby and Nottingham (just a short trip from Italy!!!!).

ozzie Bill.

Jerry, in my opinion it depends how complex you want the dolls house itself. I looked at kits and pre-builts for my girls when they were younger and decided to make my own. I used MDF, probably about 6mm, but cannot recall now, then made the 2 sides, with a couple of windows on each "floor", 3 floors and a simple back and 2 roof panels. Cut some holes in level 1 and 2 for the stairs, which ran up the back wall to make it easier. A few uprights, with doorways, for room dividers and even a couple of simple doors on very light weight hinges. Whole thing would only have taken couple of hours start to finish. Quick sand over, some primer then good to go. For my kids, half the fun was in choosing the paint schemes for the rooms and decorating them themselves. I pre-wired for simple lighting etc, but did not fit the globes, holders, battery cases etc until the house was painted and the carpets laid. Kids thought that was great! Cheers, Bill.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Malc on December 14, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
If I were you Jerry, I'd dig out my woodworking tools and paintbrushes and set to.  :bounce:

Soory Malc I only work with card and sticky backed plastic !   :laugh:

Jerry Howlett

Thanks to you all for your helpful and some interesting suggestions. I think I will go for the ngauge version in card put it in an envelope and by the time it has been crushed in the post it will be "the thought that counted".

Really as  the GD lives in the UK there is no chance (luckily) for me to DIY one so Mrs "H" has used the "Dolls house Emporium"  web site to sort out something with our Daughter in Law.  Phew !!!

Now where did I put that card and glue ?

Jerry

bridgiesimon

Maybe at that age something like the Sylvanian Families range could be a better option. My niece loves it!!!

Best wishes and MERRY CHRISTMAS
Simon

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations