Retirement

Started by port perran, December 10, 2014, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

I supposedly retired nearly 5 years ago, and while I admit I haven't worked this year - things like  Wigan show getting in the way - I was given an offer too good to refuse, so I went back to work today until the 19th!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Michael Shillabeer

Good to see the majority enjoying retirement :)

My official retirement age is 17 years away but I can't see being able to afford to retire - housing costs are far greater than a pension would pay :(

Fortunately I love my job! Which also keeps my mind agile :)

Best regards
Michael

Geoff

Well I am suppose to retire in 2 1/2 years time but funds state that I will not be able to afford it, my wife is disabled and her money is stopping soon, I will probably have to work into my 70's I am not bothered about working because it keeps me fit and the pittance of the pension is so low that people who have worked all there lives do have nothing what they should have, I am still propping up one of my lads who has come out of University and finding it hard to find a job.

Geoff

Portpatrick

I may well be among the last but I was able to retire just over 3 yrs ago - aged 58 - by volunteering to take a package.  Glad to go - my final boss was a real pain.  But mercifully my pension earned over 22 years was fine.  And one from my first employer was available once I turned 60.  And I am old enough that I can draw my state pension at 65.  So we are OK financially.

As for work - how did I have time.  4 grandchildren, model railways, church responsibilities, and until earlier this year overseeing my elderly mother, all keep me busy while I am reasonably middle aged and fit.  No way am I re-entering the employment market.

Kipper

I was lucky enough to be sent on a pre-retirement course by my then employer. Amongst all the financial advice, and tai chi (!) one of the speakers gave us a very good idea, which I have followed. She told us to make a "bucket list" of all the things we either meant to do over the years, and never did, or any thing new we thought we would like to do, now we have the time.
My list included learning guitar, getting full motorcycle licence, getting a sports car (sad), going on balloon safari in Kenya, plus lots of other personal ones. She did say make a list of 20 to start with, and as they were completed, add another, so as not to run out!

Newportnobby

One of the items on my bucket list is to see if there's life after death.
Maybe I shouldn't have put it at the top of the list :worried: :uneasy:

jonclox

Quote from: newportnobby on December 11, 2014, 02:43:27 PM
One of the items on my bucket list is to see if there's life after death.

Dunno  :worried: about that but theres certainly death after life
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Michael Shillabeer

Quote from: Dorsetmike on December 10, 2014, 11:53:39 PM
It's not helping that I've had this 3 bedroom 102 year old ex corner shop on the market since March

I know what you mean Mike, the Bournemouth/Poole property market sucks – I lost a fortune due to having to move during times of negative equity!

Quote from: Geoff on December 11, 2014, 09:38:45 AM
Well I am suppose to retire in 2 1/2 years time but funds state that I will not be able to afford it

In the next few years this is going to become a much bigger problem as health deteriorates but people can't afford to stop working.

Ageism could become an issue too. Luckily I haven't seen this in my world of software. There appears to be few young engineers to replace us. Looking around the office there are many grey/balding heads!

Best regards
Michael

jonclox

I certainly wish you a long,happy and healthy retirement Martin.
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Bealman

I learned to play guitar in me twenties, but now I'm in me sixties with a genuine Fender, it kills me arthritic fingers.

Dunno how the Rolling Stones do it  :'(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

Quote from: Bealman on December 12, 2014, 09:33:59 AM
I learned to play guitar in me twenties, but now I'm in me sixties with a genuine Fender, it kills me arthritic fingers.

Dunno how the Rolling Stones do it  :'(
I've just started learning. Great fun.
Wish I'd done it years ago.
Getting a bit tired of Stereophonics -"I wouldn't Believe Your Radio" though. It's the song my guitar teacher started me on !!
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Malc

The two classics I learnt in the 70's were House of the Rising a Sun and Hey Joe, plus almost anything by the Quo.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on December 12, 2014, 11:24:55 AM
plus almost anything by the Quo.

Just goes to show they had geetars in the Stone Age :D :P

Geoff

I bought a second hand Fender Strat and started to learn how to play then all interest went, my lad said I will try and learn it but he said sod it so the Guitar is on my lads wall, All I need to do is nick it back one day and cash it in for more Loco's lol.
Geoff

Hailstone

I retired at the end of march after over 40 years service, although I am only 58 - an early leaver package that was too good to miss, and a real pension. I would have stayed to 60 but the lunatics had taken charge of the asylum and I had grown tired of pointing out the obvious(to us old timers) to managers half my age, so I took the money and ran - I've had a ball ever since.

Regards

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations