BBC2 9pm Thursday 22.9.11

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2011, 04:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

For anyone who is interested there is a programme about the Spitfire on tonight Oooohhh - those Merlin engines :D
Happy viewing

poliss

Will it be accurate or just the usual 1940 newspaper propaganda that they always show?

Newportnobby

Quote from: poliss on September 22, 2011, 04:50:35 PM
Will it be accurate or just the usual 1940 newspaper propaganda that they always show?

Sorry, Poliss - all I know is it is a 75th anniversary celebration ???

Lawrence

Good grief poliss, how is he supposed to know that  ::) he said it was on, he didn't say he had made the flaming thing.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Lawrence on September 22, 2011, 06:42:32 PM
Good grief poliss, how is he supposed to know that  ::) he said it was on, he didn't say he had made the flaming thing.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition :smiley-laughing:

poliss

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.  :evil:

Newportnobby

Quote from: poliss on September 22, 2011, 06:55:27 PM
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.  :evil:

Our chief weapons are surprise and fear, fear and surprise.
Come 21.00hrs I'll be fetching the comfy chair and the soft cushions ;D

poliss

I'll put it another way. I expect they give the usual 1940 newspaper propaganda. Watch out for the Adolf Galland quote about him asking for a squadron of Spitfires. Then they'll say that Spitfires shot down 109s at a rate of 3 to 1 or more. There'll be the bit where they say German pilots would lie about what had shot them down; always claiming it was a Spitfire. How it was the Spitfire that stopped the Germans invading. They always forget that the Royal Navy would have annihilated any invasion force.
Yes we won, but tell it like it really was chaps.

Newportnobby

Quote from: poliss on September 22, 2011, 07:18:53 PM
I'll put it another way. I expect they give the usual 1940 newspaper propaganda. Watch out for the Adolf Galland quote about him asking for a squadron of Spitfires. Then they'll say that Spitfires shot down 109s at a rate of 3 to 1 or more. There'll be the bit where they say German pilots would lie about what had shot them down; always claiming it was a Spitfire. How it was the Spitfire that stopped the Germans invading. They always forget that the Royal Navy would have annihilated any invasion force.
Yes we won, but tell it like it really was chaps.

I know what you're saying. After all, the Hurricane hardly got a look in, did it ::) I have found out a little more - they're taking one particular Spit from it's 'birth' in West Bromwich and following it through who flew in it etc etc to the end of its life. Personally I prefer the Mosquito (2 Merlins!!)

poliss

The Mosquito, now there was an aircraft. Could hold as much in it's bomb bay as a B17.

Alex

The Mosquito...probably the worlds first multi-role combat aircraft.

Sorry, but I'll be watching Billy Connelly on ITV at 9.

Alex

EtchedPixels

Quote from: alex crawford on September 22, 2011, 08:18:22 PM
The Mosquito...probably the worlds first multi-role combat aircraft.

Surely most WW1 aircraft were multi-role ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Alex

Hi,

Most WWI aircraft were designed for a specific purpose but some could do other tasks. Originally designed as an unarmed bomber the Mossie was able to be a fighter, bomber, recconaissance, anti-shipping, torpedo bomber and night fighter. It also carried an early version of the head up display. While other aircraft could carry out similar roles the Mossie is often regarded as the first all rounder.

Sorry for drifting off topic.

Alex

grumbeast

Watched the show, don't care about the propaganda or what plane did this or that, it doesn't change the fact that the spit is a true thing of beauty, probably the most aesthetic plane built, the lines are just wonderful.

Graham

4x2

I agree ! The Hurrican was the real hero of the battle of britain, the spit only arrived later in the conflict - But, the spit looked awesome and captured the imagination of the nation (and me !).

For me the spitfire is king of the ww2 fighters, but only by the smallest of margins... so many amazing aircraft of that era !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations