Train running/shunting

Started by Wingman mothergoose, February 24, 2014, 12:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingman mothergoose

Do any of you have a particular way that you operate your layout? Do you operate to a set timetable or do you just run what you like when you like?
Also do you gave any rules about shunting, as in where and when it takes place, and do you gave any 'local instructions' for your yards and stations, just like the 'real' railway does?

I'm toying with the idea of setting a timetable for Sherwood Central, but I've no idea where to start, and I have only 3 lines per main line in my fiddle yard. I have a loop on each side of my station, sufficient to hold a loco and 5 coaches/13 wagons. My fiddle yard size is dictated by the size of my boards, and they hold no more than the station loops, although the 'main' lines will hold a loco and 6 coaches or equivalent goods...

Newportnobby

As long as my trains fit the era/location then I pretty much run what I want to see.
I do, however, make an attempt at 'time of day' traffic e.g. workers trains in morning/evening. As I have 2 loops for main lines at a lower level than the branch loop, mood can also dictate what gets run i.e. do I want to sit/daydream/have a drink while trains go round or do I want to engage the grey matter (not hair ::)) and do some shunting in the branch line yard.

Wingman mothergoose

That's kind of what I do too, it's nice to chill with a couple of beers while the trains are going round, and then mix it up a bit with some shunting.
I have several ways of getting locos from the shed to the platforms or goods yard, I would like to devise some proper shunt moves though, but I suppose that would depend on where I end up placing my signals, as and when I buy/build them!

Newportnobby

I think it also has something to do with 'what' you are shunting i.e. are there specific industries on the layout requiring certain types of traffic. I am losing the will to live with the layout I'm building at present as I would like to fit in a Creamery and a Gravel Works as well as the 'normal' Goods shed and loco shed. I've purchased the necessary stock/locos but am struggling with trying to get the track plan sorted as to what goes where :doh:

Wingman mothergoose

I was considering putting a brewery next to my carriage sidings as I have a space that will only end up filled with rows of terraced houses otherwise, I've got space to add a short siding, and have box vans or Conflats shunted in and out and over both loops and main lines and into the goods yard, between trains of course!
Being a GC based layout there's the inevitable coal and fish trains, along with the odd pick up goods and oil tanks.

martink

When I occasionally haul out my old shunting layout (a small station on double track oval with a couple of storage loops), one train that runs is a 17-wagon goods.  On each visit to the station, I drop off the first 6 wagons from the front to the appropriate sidings, then add the oldest 6 wagons from the goods yard to the back of the train (2 from the back end of each of 3 goods sidings).  Since the numbers 6 and 17 are relatively prime, this gives a different pattern of wagons each time.  Similarly, one passenger train drops off or picks up a milk tanker, siphon or full brake into the bay platform.

Luke Piewalker

I have a highly detailed and rigid approach.

Specifically... I like to have a train pinging round each oval, then every so often when I feel like I haven't moved recently, I'll stop one in a platform. If I'm feeling really keen I might back one into a bay platform and have another train ping round for a bit...  :-[

port perran

Like most people, I like to see trains running but occasionally, I have a go at running a real day with through trains, local stoppers and pick up goods etc running to what would be a "real" timetable. Often though I get fed up after 20 mins or so and revert to just "running round".
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

D1042 Western Princess

To me the biggest difference between a "train set" and a model railway is not seen in things like "super detail" and "rivet counting" but in how it is operated; basically if it is run to a timetable I can forgive a large number of "faults" over matters some seem get greatly upset about.
My layout is (will be) operated on a timetable based on the 1970 Working Timetable involving Taunton, trains slotted in around gaps in the actual traffic and the imagined (modelled) route worked out with distance, gradients and running speeds all of which are reflected in the timetable. Certain loco types will be required for certain trains, for example the climb onto Exmoor from sea level at Peltin involves a ruling grade of 1 in 42 rising and to lift a 400 ton goods train would need a rostered Class 42 or 52. If it were necessary to use a Hymek (limited to 350 tons) it would need banking and this single example (to me) shows the advantages of running to a proper working  timetable.
Services are decided by the "needs of the population", for examples commuter services, the boat trains, the "Lorna Doone" (principle express to London), newspaper and parcels working, milk traffic and so on.
Of course we all operate our layouts as we want and if you are happy run trains haphazardly then that is your choice but, to me, the railway is not so interesting run that way.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

ParkeNd

I did work out a timetable based on 6 minute hours because as an ex Logistics person the planning and "what goes out, must come back" mentality appeals to me. It also allowed me to legitimise my Warship and Western's presence on a branch line as an enthusiasts special. But once the trains get running the timetable gets replaced by that mesmerising feeling of watching the trains go by.

I tell myself the timetable is waiting for when the layout is finished.

Tedesco

Quote from: newportnobby on February 24, 2014, 01:35:34 PM
...I am losing the will to live with the layout I'm building at present as I would like to fit in a Creamery and a Gravel Works as well as the 'normal' Goods shed and loco shed.

Faced with the need to make a very small layout but wanting lots of industries I opted for a junction between a double main line to a very large town and a branch (possibly 2 :-[) line to the sea. I have a jam factory, a creamery, and possibly some gravel extraction on the main line or branch. So I can have milk going one way, cheese and cream coming the other, fruit, sugar, coke going one way and jam the other, an occasional short holiday special one way and fish the other. So hopefully lots of mixed goods that need shunting and sorting as the junction layout itself has a small goods shed, engine shed and coaling, a cattle dock and a couple of coal drops, and the occasional parcels van. 

I can accommodate 3 coaches and an engine on each of the 2 platforms and thought 2 branches would enable me to split them into 1 and 2 coaches adding more stuff to do. And join them up on the other direction. The fish and milk can be tagged onto these passenger trains as needed.

Regards
Lawrence2 (as I note there is a Lawrence of long standing already. I was getting confused seeing posts I hadn't made  :D )

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tedesco on February 24, 2014, 06:47:04 PM

Regards
Lawrence2 (as I note there is a Lawrence of long standing already. I was getting confused seeing posts I hadn't made  :D )

Glad you made that change, Lawrence2, as the other one talks out of his  :moony: most of the time >:D :D

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

willike1958

I must admit to not being an 'emoticon person', but I really like that one!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations