What do you read if you have spare time?

Started by Newportnobby, July 17, 2011, 05:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Books for holidays? Read for a while at night before sleep? I am currently reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth (TV series a little while ago). I love good fantasy writing by authors like Raymond Feist, Janny Wurts and Frank Herbert (Dune). For thrillers I tend to stick to Nelson de Mille and Tom Clancy. Crime thrillers - I really like Simon Beckett. An all time classic for me was Shogun by James Clavell (I got the original TV series on DVD too).
I always wait for paperbacks as I find if I read a hardback in bed and fall asleep, the book hits the floor with an almighty thud and wakes me up again!

lesmond

I love to read, John LeCarre, Stephen King, Iain M Banks, Jules Verne, Terry Pratchett etc etc for fiction, anything about narrow gauge railways, U boats or WW2 on the eastern front or the Atlantic for factual stuff. Or anything that catches my eye  :thumbsup:
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Newportnobby

Quote from: lesmond on July 17, 2011, 05:27:27 PM
I love to read, John LeCarre, Stephen King, Iain M Banks, Jules Verne, Terry Pratchett etc etc for fiction, anything about narrow gauge railways, U boats or WW2 on the eastern front or the Atlantic for factual stuff. Or anything that catches my eye  :thumbsup:

Have you read Alistair McCleans HMS Ulysses? It's a fictional account of the Arctic convoys to Russia and is very difficult to put down once started :thumbsup:

OwL

I tend to just read Traction magazine and other railway magazines, i must confess I havent read a fiction book for over two years now.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

lesmond

Quote from: newportnobby on July 17, 2011, 05:34:12 PM

Have you read Alistair McCleans HMS Ulysses? It's a fictional account of the Arctic convoys to Russia and is very difficult to put down once started :thumbsup:

I've all of his books; my first copy of HMS Ulysses is read to tatters, the "use" copy isn't far behind! Das Boot gives a good view of the German side, and is well worth a go.
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Adam1701D

I'm addicted to my Amazon Kindle andc urrently reading Game of Thrones by George RR Martinb after being blown away by the recent TV series.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Alex

Hi,

I haven't read much lately but I used to read a lot of Fantasy books, particularly those written by David Gemmel. Alexander Kent is another good read.

Alex

Bikeracer

My favourite is Lee Child......his Jack Reacher stories are always hard to put down.
But really anything to read in bed to get sleepy.

Not really got much time for female writers though and the styles they write in.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

poliss

Don't read as much as I used to. If you like submarines then The K Boats about the WWI steam submaines is very interesting. Fiction. John Wingate's Submariner Sinclair series is interesting.
Other books. The Rainhill Trials. The Engineering and History of Rocket. The Pictorial Encyclopedia of Railways by C. Hamilton Ellis. Eagle Book of Trains, Eagle Book of Rockets. Lots of William Green's Aircraft of WWII books. Many WWII books actually. I do stay away from Stephen Ambrose's WWII writing as they are complete and utter rubbish.
I have a first edition of David Whitaker's Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks.

galway

Have just finished a series of Dora the Explorer and have now moved onto Usborne Farm books with the youngest, a lot more fun watching the joy in her eyes with each story than reading for myself.
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Newportnobby

Quote from: lesmond on July 17, 2011, 05:50:10 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 17, 2011, 05:34:12 PM

I've all of his books; my first copy of HMS Ulysses is read to tatters, the "use" copy isn't far behind! Das Boot gives a good view of the German side, and is well worth a go.

I've read the book and seen the series on TV. Wonderfully claustrophobic - you can almost smell the cabbage!
A really good yarn about submarines is Charles McHardy's 'Send down a dove'

longbridge

I read Heritage Railway or Continental Modeller mags or maybe the occasional train book I may buy.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations