RAIL TOURS

Started by Newportnobby, July 01, 2011, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Not exactly a rail tour but for my birthday next month I will be boarding an XPT which of course is a Class 43 HST in disguise, the train leaves Roma St Station in Brisbane at 7am and arrives at Taree in New South Wales (roughly 550 - 600km) at 4.30pm, I will look around Taree and have tea there and at 9.30pm catch the XPT back to Brisbane arriving Brisbane at 6am the next day.

This is the only way I will ever get to ride in a reasonably modern British style train as just about everything else on the main line  was made in Australia under licence from General Motors.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Hi ORB - that's an awful long time on the train, but heck, us addicts will put up with a lot,eh?
Have a great time on your 21st :beers:

Lawrence

Dave, have you ever done the coast to coast run out there?  Is it still possible in fact, would love to do it

longbridge

Hi Lawrence, yes they still have the Indian Pacific travelling between Sydney and Perth but its out of my price range, fares range between $1,500 and 2,400, great train with plenty of entertainment for travellers and usually hauled by massive NR class locos.
Trip is over 4,000km and takes about three days to get across the country.

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Cracking day out, Gromit. Travelled on the Mersey Highlander today over the Settle & Carlisle into Carlisle behind Brit 70013 Oliver Cromwell with 12 up composed of Mk1's and Mk2's. She smelt, looked and sounded wonderful, and I'm sure in parts of the journey she was purring. Crowds had turned out, especially by the Ribblehead viaduct. Despite early morning drizzle, most of the day was spent in sunshine. The return from Carlisle to Preston was over Shap and through Carnforth. Here are the pics (apologies to diesel fans and yes, one of the carriages sported the Hogwarts emblem)

galway

Great photo's glad you enjoyed the day.
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Tank

Thanks for showing.  Very clear photo's. :thumbsup:

sawyerm1982

Im off to hopefully catch a couple of piccies of 'The Limestone Cowboy' travelling down the little used middlewich line in a couple of hours...

Newportnobby

Quote from: sawyerm1982 on August 20, 2011, 09:54:26 AM
Im off to hopefully catch a couple of piccies of 'The Limestone Cowboy' travelling down the little used middlewich line in a couple of hours...

Great name :smiley-laughing: Look forward to some pics :camera:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations