Slow speed running of small tank engines

Started by cupoftea, December 03, 2010, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebucanezza and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cupoftea

Hello All

I am after some advice about the slow speed running of the small tank engines. I would like to get a small tank engine for my layout but want to run it at slow speed on an end-to-end track with a shuttle unit and am concerned that some of the cheaper locos may not run smoothly at slow speed.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
         Jon

Tank

Which make were you thinking of?  I should think that a modern Grafar or Dapol engine would be fine at slow speeds, but to be sure that they go over the points OK I'd make sure that they were electrofrog - that way it shouldn't stall from loss of electrical pickup.

cupoftea

Thanks Tank

The small tank engine would be running on a straight length of track using a shuttle unit. I basically want to set it up as some 'background activity'.

Cheers
           Jon

REFaust

Hi

I've heard good reports of the Dapol Terrier, and I'm sure many of the more recent Grahame Farish tanks would offer good slow running. I would also recommend investigating Union Mills, who make some very powerful little models - haulage capacity is better than Farish or Dapol.

Good slow running is just as much about track and loco maintenance though - if you take care of that then you should get reliable slow speeds. Like Tank I'd also suggest electrofrog points too.

R E Faust

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations