Should I buy a Class 25 ?

Started by port perran, November 03, 2013, 08:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Quote from: newportnobby on November 05, 2013, 11:56:07 AM
I feel quite sorry for Port Perran now - he's probably cowering in a bunker somewhere :worried:

My thoughts, too.

Michael Hendle

Hi

For myself being disabled after a stroke and a pensioner,I have to look for bargins when they are available,I managed to  get one of the new grafar cl 24 loco's for £55.00.

Now my problem is it is full of holes at the front and rear,because you have to add pipes and head code disc's,which I can't,so now it is just as un prototypical as the class 25, we are talking about which to me looks like a a 25,if I got one I wouldn't have to worry about adding the extra bits & bobs.

I'm afraid any thing over a £100.00 is beyond my price range so it's a case of beggars can't be chosers when getting models.

Mike :Class31:

port perran

No need to feel sorry for me.
It was only a throw away remark from me but...................to keep everyone in suspense......did I get one or not ??
It really is down to personal preference so I eventually made my own mind up.................................?????
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on November 05, 2013, 02:45:26 PM
No need to feel sorry for me.
It was only a throw away remark from me but...................to keep everyone in suspense......did I get one or not ??
It really is down to personal preference so I eventually made my own mind up.................................?????

Don't keep us in suspenders :no:
Did you buy one?

Chris in Prague

It certainly generated some lively discussion!

port perran

So...........here is the little devil that has been the cause of all this debate :

Am I happy with it ?
Well yes - if not I wouldn't have bought it.
Ran well straight from the box and runs really nicely (and quietly) now that it's run in.
It may not be as perfect as the new version due later but I thought it was worth £44-99p. My old eyes don't look for the fine detail so I'm happy. To me it looks like the locos that I remember.
And...it doesn't fit my era (so Rule 1 applies) but it does look good alongside my hymek, Class 22, Class 14 and my new Western.

Chris in Prague

It looks the part. (Only the front windows stand out as being too shallow; but at normal viewing distance, not the excellent close-up here, it looks fine, IMHO.)

Is your Western a Graham Farrish or one of the new Dapols? I have two maroon Graham Farrish ones but am selling the non-DCC fitted one. Again, I know the new Dapol one is amazingly accurate and detailed but, to me, the graham Farrish one looks fine and it was FAR cheaper. I won't be running it often as it really is not suitable for my line, so won't be timetabled, but I'm glad I have it to join my Class 14, 22, 35, and 42 fleet.

port perran

Yes the Western is the new Dapol one (sorry-this photo isn't brilliant) and an excellent loco it s too. I particularly liked them in green but was also tempted by Osborne Models version of D1000 itself in Desert Sand livery.

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Port Perran. Green does look good. It really is an excellent model. I was also tempted by the D1000 Desert Sand version but, as I really can't justify running one "Western" at all, a second hand Graham Farrish maroon one (especially as it is DCC-fitted) is as far as I'm allowing myself to indulge myself!

Newportnobby

Thanks for the pic of the class 25, P-P.
I reckon you got a bargain there - one of the stands at a Toy & Train Fair last Sunday had that model for £78

1936ace

Good on ya mate having never seen one it looks great,
Well done
Now do I get one and have a go at hardwiring a decoder or wait for the dcc friendly one???. :)
Bart

ParkeNd

We'll done Port Perran and thanks for the pic. Mine is blue because I didn't have any blue locos.

For £45 we have done well to snap one up before they were all gone. Most people who have commented on your photo seem to be surprised how good it looks after the few attacks it got. I have the £111 Class 22 but I am just as pleased with the £45 bargain.

Chris in Prague

And to those who asked how did I know that Port Perran would be happy with his £45 Class 25/3 once he got it on his layout . . . because I understand his way of thinking. It is not perfect but it looks like a Class 25/3 and, at that price, it was a bargain. And, IMHO, the two-green livery fits in very well at Port Perran. So, my congratulations, too! 8-) Enjoy.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: 1936ace on November 05, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I was going to buy one for zac due to the price as it said class 25, having never seen one I thought it must be a model of one.
So what does one look like if the current one is not
Bart

The real ones have slightly more rounded sides, inset cab doors, grilles at a slightly different height on the edge of the roof area, and windows in the frames not set back.

If you don't care so much about fine accuracy then its a good model, they are reliable runners and a handy size. The lack of fittings probably also makes it much better for junior.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bob G

Yes the 25s came in to replace the 22s, and then later there were 31s that replaced the 25s on milk trains for example (based at Exeter).

Laira had mostly 25/2s but at least one 25/3 AFAIK.
You could easily renumber them (as I am going to)
25/2s (ca 1975) 25168-170, 25215-217, 25223-225 
25/3s (ca 1975) 25264

Some 25/2s (post D7500?) looked like 25/3s with 25/3 style windows and missing tanks below the waterline, and I have a photo of such a beast, no 7502 (later 25152) working presflows at Scorrier ca 1970 in two tone green with full yellow ends, code 6R09.

The Farish ends of the 25/3 are removable so easily primed (use white primer) and sprayed yellow (lots of light coats). A better looking 25/3 has also been modelled in N: http://www.stuartmoore-modelrailways.co.uk/graham_farish_class_25.htm

Slightly off topic, another reason to buy the new Farish 31 if you are not an eastern region person is that 31136 and its mates, which replaced WR DMUs (117s/118s/119s) on the Portsmouth-Bristol route in about 1976 and used to run 5 coach Mk 1s  (something like SO-SO-BG-FK-SO) before they were replaced with 31/4s in 1977 was relocated to Exeter as a replacement for withdrawn 25s and was also used on milk trains.

HTH
Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations