Graham Farish New Product Announcement - 2018 Full List

Started by guest2, January 07, 2018, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmont

I've rather forgotten after all these posts, what Farish actually released........ :confused1:

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on January 09, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
I'm not necessarily sure they're the most popular liveries, although EWS and NSE were always slightly odd choices IMO.

I do agree on the 170 (hence raising it), although I wonder if Karhedron's point about pricing parity holds water. You can't increase the prices on half of your range as there's a perceived comparative value with other products. The SWT one (like Southern) was always a strange choice of model too given the distinct lack of complementary stock. Conveniently dragging us back on topic have we had definitive commitment the new releases of the 170 are still the exact same model, or is there a new chassis in there, I've seen both being reported, although perhaps confusion with the 00 new tooling.

I must say my LM 170 is a great runner, and took minutes to convert to DCC, probably easier than some of the fiddlier locos with solder tags frankly.

I think most people would accept a difference in price relative to the age of the tooling. If someone wants a Class 40, they are unlikely to decide to buy a 170 instead if it's cheaper.

davidinyork

Quote from: Carmont on January 09, 2018, 04:09:43 PM
I've rather forgotten after all these posts, what Farish actually released........ :confused1:

Look back at the first page then. Strangely, that's where the list is...

Dr Al

I do agree on the 170 (hence raising it), although I wonder if Karhedron's point about pricing parity holds water.

It's a definite point, though with Dapol's lead there didn't seem to be much evidence that selling Ivatts and 45xxs took away from other sales, though it's difficult to say - I can only go from my own experience of saying that when I sprung for a 45xx it was over and above, rather than at the expense of any other purchase. Is there any evidence that those on sale with vast cuts now (350s, A2s for example) are stifling other sales?

I guess too, in this market there'll be limited numbers who'd buy a 170 just because it's cheap - some will for sure, but a lot wouldn't just becasue it's not a model they need or desire. Add to that restriction of supply by Bachmann, and I think they could have reasonable control over hitting any other product lines. Beyond the first 3 months they have no control anyway, and retailers can then discount at any level, so I don't think there's too much difference there in the grand scheme of things - I don't think many have succumbed their DCC sound 40 purchase to instead buy 2x 350s and an A2?!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

I must say my LM 170 is a great runner, and took minutes to convert to DCC, probably easier than some of the fiddlier locos with solder tags frankly.

Indeed - these had Bachmann's existing skew sound 5 pole motor, which always gives silky running, and doesn't die easily.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Karhedron

Quote from: davidinyork on January 09, 2018, 04:11:34 PM
I think most people would accept a difference in price relative to the age of the tooling. If someone wants a Class 40, they are unlikely to decide to buy a 170 instead if it's cheaper.
No but they might decide to buy a class 37 instead. Even more so if it was particularly cheaper.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

davidinyork

Quote from: Karhedron on January 09, 2018, 04:18:01 PM
No but they might decide to buy a class 37 instead. Even more so if it was particularly cheaper.

37s already are cheaper, and they can be picked up second-hand (the new tooling ones) for well under a hundred quid.

njee20

Quote from: davidinyork on January 09, 2018, 04:10:38 PM

That's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison, but I know what you mean, the 37/40 may be a better comparison (edit: damn - 3rd person to make that comparison!). That also supports my assertion that people will pay what the manufacturers demand if it's a model they want. Perhaps more relevant (albeit slightly different) is whether people will buy a 350 in TPE livery for 3 times the price of an identical one in London Midland livery if the stock is still on the shelves. Seems unlikely.

You could (tenuously) argue that the 170 at £175 is cheaper than the new 350 releases at £230 too, so there is a bit of a reduction for the older tooling. You've also got a 2-car/4-car price offset mind.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on January 09, 2018, 04:20:30 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on January 09, 2018, 04:10:38 PM

That's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison, but I know what you mean, the 37/40 may be a better comparison (edit: damn - 3rd person to make that comparison!). That also supports my assertion that people will pay what the manufacturers demand if it's a model they want. Perhaps more relevant (albeit slightly different) is whether people will buy a 350 in TPE livery for 3 times the price of an identical one in London Midland livery if the stock is still on the shelves. Seems unlikely.

You could (tenuously) argue that the 170 at £175 is cheaper than the new 350 releases at £230 too, so there is a bit of a reduction for the older tooling. You've also got a 2-car/4-car price offset mind.

It does seem to be the case that modellers don't like to compromise on what they want. It can often be the case that the a loco in one livery can be heavily reduced in the online shops, but the same loco in a different livery will be selling for well above the original price on ebay.

njee20

Agreed - hence my parallel with the Dapol 86. People were paying >£150 for Swallow models whilst other liveries were going for £50 - you could have repainted one and 'saved' money. Weird.

Carmont

Clearly my attempt at humour was poor. Apologies.

Newportnobby

It must not be forgotten in all this it was (I believe) the Chinese government who insisted on a 20% rise in wages every year for 5 years which, as our models are so labour intensive, hit the RRP very hard. It struck me Dapol seemed to absorb this far better than Farish for the first couple of years but have now had to pass it on. I think this, rather than anything to do with tooling, has created the £150 loco, the £25 coach and the £20 wagon (and they are just the 'simpler' ones).
Are these 5 years over or is there still a year to go? I've lost track.

Quote from: Carmont on January 09, 2018, 04:38:02 PM

Clearly my attempt at humour was poor. Apologies.

I was completely in tune with your humour. I think the thread has gone way past what folks thought of the announcements and has morphed into something completely different (as Monty P would say)

njee20

I agree that Dapol seem to have remained rather more grounded on their pricing.

Dapol Megafret and Farish Multifret container pairs used to be about the same price. Dapol are now £32 from Hattons, whilst Farish ones (admittedly with a pair of containers) are £63. That is an eye watering increase, and IMO is vastly overpriced.

Ben A

Hello all,

I think it's a reasonably balanced set of announcements, with some encouraging signs.

I am looking forward to the Sound-fitted Colas 47 and the TPE 350, but I am relieved not to be overwhelmed by things I want and facing difficult choices.

And the decision to re-chassis the 31 and 47, and produce a completely new 158, are very encouraging signs for those of us hoping for improved Peaks and Turbostars.

As to pricing, TBH the actual cost of producing the model (whether new or amortised tooling) is something of a red herring as far as Bachmann is concerned IMO. 

Their models also have to pay towards warehousing, salaries, pensions and all the associated costs of running a business in the UK as well as turning a profit.

And while it's true prices have leapt ahead of salaries, in the context of share indices across the world reaching record levels this is suggests to me that salaries are too low, not necessarily that prices are too high.

(Reference: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/shares/ftse-100-has-hit-record-highs-2018-does-january-effect-mean/ )

Cheers

Ben A.

Railbank

I have kept up with this thread from the start and it's proved to be an informative debate on future models and pricing.

So I looked up an old Railway modeller from June 1998 and the Hattons ad;

Class 37, 47, 56 - £58.50
3 car dmu - £59.50
Class 20, 25 - £46.50

Taking the 37, 47 and 56 prices and using an inflation calculator

Today
£99
June 1998
£59
The cost of goods and services increased by 68.1% over this period.

So considering we now have lights, finer detail, more accurate models and dcc ready and a great deal more choice of both models and manufacturers the current prices are not a million miles away

37's are to be found just under £100.latest ones just over, the latest class 40 is going for £119 post included.

Whilst the cost of these future models are steep in places I think there is a lot of stuff that has just about kept pace with all the other stuff in our lives that we pay for and where it has gone up I think the rises have been justified in order to give us the quality and choice we can experience today.

All my modelling life has been about choice; choosing the era, choosing to do some rule 1's, choosing what I like and what i don't all running alongside what I can afford/justify to continue my hobby.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations