Same old questions

Started by MalcolmInN, January 18, 2015, 12:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webbo

We seem to have an issue with some complaining about the same old questions being repeated by newcomers to the hobby. No doubt many questions regarding basic elements of the hobby are being asked over and over to the annoyance of some. Several points can be made here most of which have been made already:

1) Those that don't like the questions being asked can skip over them and move to the next topic

2) Do the old-timers really want to raise the drawbridge on the newbies and restrict the forum to those who already have the answers to life, the universe and everything?

3) There are profoundly different levels of internet comfort and what seem to be obviously researchable questions for some may not be so easy for all.

4) Most of the questions that are asked do not have an unequivocal answer and can still benefit from further insights and discussion

I am a newbie to this forum, but I'm not a newbie to N scale by a long way. To know what sensible questions to ask takes a certain basic knowledge of the subject and some people who are truly new to the hobby might need some help to get this leg up. Do we help them out or not?

Ian 

Bealman

We most certainly do... and referring to the title of this thread, this one seems to be going over the same old stuff it kicked off with, as Webbo points out.... so, same old, same old.

Also, as Griffo suggests, let's be nice to each other, something I posted back on Feb 21. By the way, Griffo, I think your analogy of a forum to a clubhouse environment is spot on.  :thumbsup:

We ARE the friendly forum, and I think it's one of the reasons our membership continues to grow. No question is too silly here.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NinOz

I find it strange that some equate "same old same old" questions with being a newbie, greater chance perhaps but not restricted.
And how did it divert to "sensible questions" from talking about repeated questions.  Aren't necessarily the same.
"Raising the drawbridge on newbies?  Do we help them or not?"

Pulling a long bow are we not or just getting hysterical.

Yes, I do look up symptons on the web so I know what the options may be and understand what the doctor is talking about and can discuss it with him/her.  Some doctors are uninformed about some things others just incompetent.  Some good stories one can tell. :)

I just ignore the questions for which answers are easily searched; anyway there will always be someone eager to display their expertise along in a tick. ::)

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Webbo

I think a nice cold shower might be in order for all. Can we start again with this please.

Ian

ScottyStitch

Yes people can google, and yes they may find answers. But maybe we prefer to garner opinions of the membership based on their experience.

An example would be electrorfrog points. You could google that and find something that tells you to cut the rails, but the experience of many on here and other forums would tell you that you don't actually need to do that. Putting "Wiring points" into the search box elicits 19 pages of hits. 19!, so perhaps we should forgive newbies from choosing an easier option?

Maybe some people are "lazy", but you don't know that for sure, you don't know other peoples circumstances, so let's give everybody the benefit of the doubt, shall we? We were all beginners once.

The "lazy" tag could quite easily be applied to someone who instead of answering the question says "do a google search."

This is why I'm not a member of any clubs, because there are always members in every single club, who were born with all their knowledge and never asked a basic question.

Agrippa

If the forum is like a clubhouse environment does that mean members have
to wear a blazer and tie ,  and denims and women are not allowed in the bar.... :D

Must keep up standards old boy!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

Well I hope not..... that would  exclude some of some of our best modellers!

As for the blazer and tie..... I used ta lick road clay off road, lad.

Newportnobby

I was always taught it costs nothing to be polite, and carry that over to anyone (newbie or not) asking questions as I'm happy to share my 35 years or so experiences in N gauge, be they good, bad or ugly, in the hope it helps someone - even to avoid similar errors I may have made :-[
It can be something simple like where to get the best price for items but in the main I just want to help others save time and money and maybe, just maybe, show there are different ways of doing things. Only be getting a range of replies can someone make an informed decision, especially when it comes to product reviews.
Sorry, but if someone is not prepared to provide help and advice then I really don't know why they are on this forum :hmmm:

Sprintex

Quote from: Agrippa on February 26, 2015, 09:38:54 AM

and women are not allowed in the bar....

Considering two of the "Club committee" are women I can't see that policy being upheld ;)

Paul

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

I love this forum. I crack up at bedtime here in Oz and chortle meself to sleep.  ;)

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Bealman on February 26, 2015, 10:27:52 AM
Well I hope not..... that would  exclude some of some of our best modellers!

As for the blazer and tie..... I used ta lick road clay off road, lad.

Luxury!

ScottyStitch

Quote from: newportnobby on February 26, 2015, 10:31:08 AM
I was always taught it costs nothing to be polite, and carry that over to anyone (newbie or not) asking questions as I'm happy to share my 35 years or so experiences in N gauge, be they good, bad or ugly, in the hope it helps someone - even to avoid similar errors I may have made :-[
It can be something simple like where to get the best price for items but in the main I just want to help others save time and money and maybe, just maybe, show there are different ways of doing things. Only be getting a range of replies can someone make an informed decision, especially when it comes to product reviews.
Sorry, but if someone is not prepared to provide help and advice then I really don't know why they are on this forum :hmmm:

Exactly!!

NinOz

Sad if this is the reason you are here then.  I come to learn, discuss, provide input where I feel it is of value, hopefully on topic and keep up to date on the wonderful world of N.  I do not feel it is compulsory to provide help and advice nor a good reason to be a member as it presupposes that you know what you are talking about.  As I have stated; an expert will be along any minute now. ::)

It is these kind of statements which people throw into a discussion which are entirely unhelp as there was no prior discussion of anyone refusing to help anyone else with anything, yet here we have a statement which would suggest that was the case. 
I thought it was about the same old questions appearing again and again rather than someone looking for a solution and knowledge first before the lazy option of a quick question.  In the time it took to type the question he /she could have done a search, after all they are on the internet.

If people wish to provide easy answers (hopefully right ones) rather than try to get others to use the web search function then go for it.  It is in line with teaching a man to fish rather than just giving him the next fish meal.  I choose not to be an enabler.

CFJ
There are certainly dumb and stupid questions asked in this world, don't let the PC people tell you otherwise.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

What the heck?

Lighten up, man, you live in Australia!

ScottyStitch

Quote from: NinOz on February 26, 2015, 11:22:44 AM

I do not feel it is compulsory to provide help and advice nor a good reason to be a member as it presupposes that you know what you are talking about. 

I would counter that statement by saying that if you do know what you're talking about, or have a suggestion that may help, then it is compulsory to provide help. In all walks of life. It's part of what makes us good citizens. I suspect you won't agree, and that's fine.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations