Jonny

I was thinking around St Bees area.
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Pete @ EGLM

Hi all,

I wasn't born in Carlisle but lived there in the 60s, leaving for the western region in 1971.  I saw the end of steam- mum dragging her five children up to the station from our house in Warwick Road to see the two Black Fives and Oliver Cromwell in August 1968.
I used to spend hours on the station, even got cab rides in the 08s, and 26s & 27s- sometimes the transport police would find us keeping warm in the cab of an 08 and tell us it was past our bedtime.
Myself and others would spend hours on St Nicholas Bridge in the middle of winter, because you could see the freight that avoided the station from there.   It was easy to bunk Kingmoor Diesel most weekends and it was sometimes possible to get round the marshalling yard and cab some Claytons- even had a cab ride in a "400er" (436) one day.  Occasionally I'd wander round Kingmoor steam shed which was intact although the track had been removed, just feeling the ghosts!  I still have a big pile of steam loco inspection reports that I found in the ash!
I thought it was the end of the world when Dad changed his job and we moved to Wiltshire, however, all the Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and 63ers made up for it, but that's another story.
I still regard Carlisle as a spiritual home and hope to be there for the DRS Open day this year.

Best wishes to all Cumbrians!

Pete @ EGLM

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Pete @ EGLM on January 18, 2015, 11:57:32 PM
Occasionally I'd wander round Kingmoor steam shed which was intact although the track had been removed, just feeling the ghosts!
I am tempted to say "Booo!", or perhaps "WOOOoooo!"
As I am a ghost :)
That was one of my fav. places, mighty great locos, 8driven, Austerity ?

Thanks for your interesting reminiscences, interesting how views can differ :) I hated diseasels ( still do) they killed off my steam days, made funny noises, 'orrid smells and even their 'ooters sounded dreadful,  :sorrysign:
The only good one was being towed back home by a steam loco :) :)

So our paths must have crossed briefly on the Warwick Rd. but by '68 I had discovered girls, cars and photography. Not sure which were the more interesting but I do know which were more understandable lol! and then I was well on my way to Brazil leaving Carlisle a long way behind.

Ooops I deviated, sorry.
Kingmoor I knew before its marshalling yard days, I suppose by the time that was built (early - mid 60s was it ?) the steam death knell was already well sounded, or 'ooted, and I had moved on.

Jonny

Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 19, 2015, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: Pete @ EGLM on January 18, 2015, 11:57:32 PM

So our paths must have crossed briefly on the Warwick Rd. but by '68 I had discovered  photographing girls on cars  :smiley-laughing:. Not sure which were the more interesting but I do know which were more understandable lol! and then I was well on my way to Brazil leaving Carlisle a long way behind.

Thats terrible Malcom.
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Jonny on January 19, 2015, 05:19:21 PM
photographing girls on cars  :smiley-laughing:.
Thats terrible Malcom.
:laughabovepost:
Heheee nice one Jonny, I wish I had thought of writing that ! :claphappy:

I did a double take and nearly spilled my wine* all over my evening meal thinking I had a case of dreadfull dyslexia and memory loss ! :laugh3:

* then you'd av bin in  trouble  ;D :smiley-laughing:

MalcolmInN

That was one of my fav. places, mighty great locos, 8driven, Austerity ?
Eeeek, now I cant even count in my memory,,,  10driven 5 each side I should have said !
tut

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations