Financial assistance

Started by jonclox, January 11, 2015, 11:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditape

Been in your son's position myself many years back and I found most creditors were happy to discuss the problem and offered various ways around the problem ranging from payment breaks  to paying interest only for a time I was helped by the banks and building societies etc. But  I must stress he needs to talk to sooner rather than later I wish you and him good luck.
Diane Tape

Bob Wild

That's a horrible situation to be in, but there is always a way out. I remember many years ago when I was maxed out on my current a/c and credit card just before Christmas. No way to get any cash. Had to make the presents for my two girls myself - just as well they didn't mind getting an articulated lorry, although it was full of bricks. To quote the song: Things can only get better.

jonclox

A big thanks from us all to you all.
We managed to transfer some monies from us to my sons account yesterday and and he used it to part pay 90%  of his bills. Today he has been over and we have gone through the whole situation and advised him best possible.
He also has a print out of this thread in full and is taking it home to digest
An extra smallish amount from us will enable him to redeem his pawned items before they get sold on or attract to much interest.
Later today his phone will be used to phone all utilities/banks/morgages and explain the problem to them.
(fingers crossed time here) :worried:
Thanks again fro us all   
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Trainfish on January 11, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
Jon, I don't think they are allowed to cut off the gas, water and/or electric especially when there are kids involved.

Certainly the electric, I know they cannot cut off. They will most likely, if it comes to it, install a meter that takes pre-paid cards rather than a standard billable meter. Pre-paid meters are funded by buying top-up cards rather like pay as you go phone cards. At least that's how they used to work.

All the best of luck to your son and his family. "There but for the grace of God", etc.....

red_death

I don't think you can cut off water either.

Jon - I hope your son gets things sorted.  I've been there with a family member and a friend's relative and it isn't any fun.  This is a horrible thing to say but where you can try to make sure that your son is actually paying off things rather than making the situation worse - if necessary offer to pay companies direct rather than handing over cash or transferring funds.

It sounds like you are doing exactly the right things and I hope it works out OK for you all.

Cheers, Mike

jonclox

Quote from: red_death on January 12, 2015, 01:32:47 PM

This is a horrible thing to say but where you can try to make sure that your son is actually paying off things rather than making the situation worse - if necessary offer to pay companies direct rather than handing over cash or transferring funds.

It sounds like you are doing exactly the right things and I hope it works out OK for you all.

Cheers, Mike
We have him on a  'short leash' at the moment and he is updating us every time he sorts something out. Unfortunately he works nights so today being a first of four days off has been a bit messy with him needing extra sleep due to extra traveling/work pressure last night.
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

steveg1966

I would not talk to these people on the phone do everything in writing it also may be worth your son sending the creditors a data subject access request (DSAR) this costs around £10 and they have to send all the information they have on him statements etc indicating payments charges etc because all late payment fees, and other fee etc are not lawful and can be reclaimed and also is there any pip payments as well that can be reclaimed. Have these debts gone to debt collection agencies yet or are the original creditors still trying to collect if the Dcas are trying to collect and they have not purchased the debts then they can do nothing except send threatening letters and stamp there feet if they have purchased the debts then your son should have received a notice of assignment off the original creditor and the debt purchaser if this has happened then send the Dca a cca request this will determined weather they have all the necessary paperwork and original credit agreement to make it enforceable in a county court. the creditor has 40 days to respond to a DSAR request and the time period for a CCA request ton respond is 10+4 days for postage and send them recorded signed for post.       

shaker_wooders

Jon,

Do try and get your son to go to the CAB as they are excellent. 

I know that you mentioned that his partner is disabled but not disabled enough to claim benefits.  The CAB will advise if that is definitely the case - he shouldn't just accept that they aren't entitled to something even if the DWP has previously turned down the claim.  They have been known to get decisions wrong.  There is also more than one benefit covering disability/inability to work e.g. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA).  Your son might also be entitled to Working Tax Credit depending on the household earnings.  The CAB will advise him about all of this.

Hope things work out ok.

Simon

MJKERR

Quote from: ScottyStitch on January 12, 2015, 01:08:26 PMCertainly the electric, I know they cannot cut off. They will most likely, if it comes to it, install a meter that takes pre-paid cards rather than a standard billable meter. Pre-paid meters are funded by buying top-up cards rather like pay as you go phone cards. At least that's how they used to work.
Sadly those days are gone
I had a phone call from one of my tenants last year that initially they thought the property had been broken into and were waiting the Police, but oddly there was no electric
I advised them I would be straight over and call out our electrician
On my arrival the Police confirmed to me the property had been left secure and the electricity cut off, but it was now a civil matter for me to resolve (oh, lovely)

The property already had standard meter (as I only select tenants who can afford this)
I inspected it and found it had been disabled, along with a new seal and notice of end of service for non-payment in excess of 6 months
I then asked the tenant if they had received any warning letters, but they advised they had not
So I then phoned Scottish Power and after nearly an hour they phoned back to advise they had disconnected the WRONG property!
When the engineer arrived (12 hours later) I asked if the standard practice of replacing the standard meter for a pre-payment meter was used, but confirmed this ended a few years ago and only takes place if the tenant is consistently late with payments, rather than non-payment
Non-payment in excess of 6 months allows access without notice and termination of service

ScottyStitch

Quote from: mjkerr on January 13, 2015, 01:26:38 AM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on January 12, 2015, 01:08:26 PMCertainly the electric, I know they cannot cut off. They will most likely, if it comes to it, install a meter that takes pre-paid cards rather than a standard billable meter. Pre-paid meters are funded by buying top-up cards rather like pay as you go phone cards. At least that's how they used to work.
Sadly those days are gone
I had a phone call from one of my tenants last year that initially they thought the property had been broken into and were waiting the Police, but oddly there was no electric
I advised them I would be straight over and call out our electrician
On my arrival the Police confirmed to me the property had been left secure and the electricity cut off, but it was now a civil matter for me to resolve (oh, lovely)

The property already had standard meter (as I only select tenants who can afford this)
I inspected it and found it had been disabled, along with a new seal and notice of end of service for non-payment in excess of 6 months
I then asked the tenant if they had received any warning letters, but they advised they had not
So I then phoned Scottish Power and after nearly an hour they phoned back to advise they had disconnected the WRONG property!
When the engineer arrived (12 hours later) I asked if the standard practice of replacing the standard meter for a pre-payment meter was used, but confirmed this ended a few years ago and only takes place if the tenant is consistently late with payments, rather than non-payment
Non-payment in excess of 6 months allows access without notice and termination of service

Every day is a school day! Thanks for that.

jonclox

Quote from: shaker_wooders on January 13, 2015, 12:51:32 AM
Jon,

Do try and get your son to go to the CAB as they are excellent. 

I know that you mentioned that his partner is disabled but not disabled enough to claim benefits.  The CAB will advise if that is definitely the case - he shouldn't just accept that they aren't entitled to something even if the DWP has previously turned down the claim.  They have been known to get decisions wrong.  There is also more than one benefit covering disability/inability to work e.g. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA).  Your son might also be entitled to Working Tax Credit depending on the household earnings.  The CAB will advise him about all of this.

Hope things work out ok.

Simon
We have told him to contact CAB and discuss the situation with them ASAP and that's on his schedule for today.
As far as disability is concerned his partner was `assessed` just before Xmas and she was told 'nothing we will do'
Since then she has been told that the office she was assessed at has a bad reputation and so she is appealing against their decision. Its an on-going situation >:(
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

Bealman

Mate, I've dug some pretty deep holes for meself over the years.... big time, believe me. REALLY big holes. But I have managed to climb out of them.

The day will dawn, the sky will become blue, and you might just wonder what the problem was.

Chin up and best wishes!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scotsoft

Quote from: jonclox on January 13, 2015, 09:37:06 AM
We have told him to contact CAB and discuss the situation with them ASAP and that's on his schedule for today.
As far as disability is concerned his partner was `assessed` just before Xmas and she was told 'nothing we will do'
Since then she has been told that the office she was assessed at has a bad reputation and so she is appealing against their decision. Its an on-going situation >:(

I had a similar problem when applying for DLA.  I only had some success when my GP wrote a detailed letter listing all of my problems that I eventually received some help.  I would suggest your sons partner does the same thing and if she has been treated b any hospital consultant, get them to write a letter as well  ;)

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations