Fuel for the Car

Started by port perran, April 04, 2020, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

I drove mine 3 yards forwrd this afternoon. After about 30 seconds I drove it 4 yards backwards. I was being nice to the wife so she could put the bins out  :thumbsup:

EDIT: I should have explained the reason I drove it an extra yard back. That's so she can get har car out to go to the supermarket at 06:45 on Tuesday  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Garyf

Cheque for £100 turned up yesterday, now how do I pay that in?

Gary

TrevL

Quote from: Garyf on April 07, 2020, 07:55:11 AM
Cheque for £100 turned up yesterday, now how do I pay that in?

Gary

Quite a few are open between 10am and 2pm, I had the same problem last week.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

njee20

Or an increasing number of banks accept photos of cheques via online/app banking.

Garyf

Quote from: njee20 on April 07, 2020, 09:56:33 AM
Or an increasing number of banks accept photos of cheques via online/app banking.
I saw that on Santander's website but it doesn't appear on my app. I guess the post office is an option and less likely to be stopped by the police for an unnecessary journey as it's closer to home.

Gary

Bealman

The Bealmobile is finally in the garage after 12 months on the driveway. The Beal & Castle Eden Railway tends to limit the car door opening right up, and while I had that bloody moonboot on, I could drive the car into the garage, but I'd have to sleep in it!  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

Like many people I've only been using our car for a visit to the supermercado once a week. This morning, it only just started but fortunately I had to do a slightly longer journey into the next town, so that has charged it up a bit. Using a battery charger is not an option as the garage block is about 50 metres from the house, so I will probably have to give it a longer run just to keep it charged. I don't know how long modern batteries are supposed to last - the car is nearly 4 years old and still on its original battery so it might be not long before I need to replace it.

I can't remember when I refuelled last but I've still got 3/4 of a tankful. The price might be down to 5 bob a gallon again by the the time I need some more!

Cheers,

Chris

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Papyrus on April 07, 2020, 11:21:29 AM
Like many people I've only been using our car for a visit to the supermercado once a week. This morning, it only just started but fortunately I had to do a slightly longer journey into the next town, so that has charged it up a bit. Using a battery charger is not an option as the garage block is about 50 metres from the house, so I will probably have to give it a longer run just to keep it charged. I don't know how long modern batteries are supposed to last - the car is nearly 4 years old and still on its original battery so it might be not long before I need to replace it.

I can't remember when I refuelled last but I've still got 3/4 of a tankful. The price might be down to 5 bob a gallon again by the the time I need some more!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi

On my previous car the battery lasted seven years from new. Car was a 2007 model.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

njee20

"Lasts" is a relative term though. They should continue to hold a charge for a long time, far longer than 4 years. If you're only doing lots of short trips though it won't have time to get a charge, and then the age is moot.

lil chris

When you do your short trips to the supermarket put your lights on too, the alternator will then switch to a higher rate charging.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Young Bulla

Quote from: njee20 on April 07, 2020, 02:29:09 PM
"Lasts" is a relative term though. They should continue to hold a charge for a long time, far longer than 4 years. If you're only doing lots of short trips though it won't have time to get a charge, and then the age is moot.
Battery in my van is original fitment from 2004 am there's a pair of bike batteries hooked to a solar charger in the garage that are over thirty years old and still hold 14 volts!
As for fuel, not bought any for a month for the vehicles, just a fivers worth of petrol for the mower

LAandNQFan

My sister, who lives in Wisconsin, bemoans the fact that she is not allowed to drive far despite the price of fuel having HALVED in the last month.  Anyone noticed the UK garages willing to pass the price drop in the cost of oil on to the customer?
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

TrevL

Being that 69% of the price we pay is tax, (which includes fuel duty, plus Vat on the fuel and the fuel duty), we're never going to see the price drops we see in the States.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

njee20

Filled mrs njee20's car up earlier, went to the local BP garage, which is usually several pence above those a bit further away, and it was 105.9p for unleaded. So it would certainly seem the reduction in raw material cost is definitely being passed on.

exmouthcraig

Its dropped 10p a litre!!! Only £1.06 now

Red diesel has dropped to 54p a litre

and kerosene for our heating oil is down to 38p a litre

Just a crying shame 3 cars are full and going nowhere
Diesel tanks are full as is out heating tank.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations