N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

Snap. My letter arrived with today's post. All perfectly reasonable and acceptable, and it's nice to have the letter to explain everything and apologise for the delay.

oreamnos

I'm sorry to see the schedule slipping.

I have the first issue and some other publications by Mr. Foy, but I unfortunately had to cancel my N Gauge Now magazine subscription.  For reasons neither he nor I can explain, more than one item he has mailed to me here in California has gotten lost or damaged in the post.  Once I received a completely battered and opened envelope (amazingly the pamphlets I'd ordered were still inside), another time I received a completely torn apart and empty envelope with a note from the US Post saying "Sorry for the damage...and no we won't fix it for you."   (Howard told me he actually went and bought more durable envelopes for overseas posting after that incident.)  And then my March issue never arrived (not even now) even though Howard kindly did confirm it had been posted.

Anyhow, the issue I did get was very nice and it was a shame I had to cancel.  But as I said to Howard when I emailed him to do so, there was little point in me paying for something that couldn't be successfully delivered to me.  He kindly refunded the balance of my subscription cost promptly.

Matt

Sprintex

If only Bachmann and Dapol sent letters of apology for late arrival of product eh? ;)

Having been through two house moves in 18 months I wholly sympathise with them and completely understand the delay, just adds another month or so of anticipation of a good read :thumbsup:

Paul

Tank

Quote from: oreamnos on June 12, 2015, 04:56:35 PM
For reasons neither he nor I can explain, more than one item he has mailed to me here in California...

I've just realised that you are 'down the road' from my family and friends in the USA.  :thumbsup: They live around the Thousand Oaks area and Route 101.  Useless information there.....! ;D

georgehgv

I got the explanatory letter today from Howard. He didn't have to send it but shows what a decent guy he is battling against allsorts to produce the decent magazine he does. It is a far better magazine than the N Gauge effort, the pictures are better and the content aimed at everyone, not just rivet counters. Look forward to the next issue albeit delayed.

Full marks for a hands up its gone wrong and writing to everyone.

:thankyousign:
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Portpatrick

Yes I got the letter today.  They may have suffered an overdose of optimism - the move causing more problems than planned for - but at least they have now gone public and explained the problem, also revamping their target dates.  They deserve credit for doing this.  Manufacturers can indeed learn from it. 

georgehgv

Quote from: Only Me on June 12, 2015, 08:48:44 PM
It now needs a title change:-

"N Gauge Later"

ROFL

Expected that but from NN lol
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Only Me on June 12, 2015, 10:18:46 PM
I'm his stand in when theres no other total rot to comment on :)

Good to know I have back up :thumbsup:

JimF

I have not seen a copy of this magazine, so have been reading what I can about it before committing to a purchase, as the cost to the US doubles the cover price. If I look at my cost to belong to the N Gauge Society as my subscription, my cost comes out to just over $6.00 US per issue. N Gauge Now would come out to $16. per issue, buying their 3 Issue Special.

I do wonder, though, first, why anyone who does want a N Gauge only publication to read, is not a member of the N Gauge Society? Forgetting all the rest of any Society business or issues, it is still inexpensive to join, just for the Journal. Yes, in the past, it was partly filled with Society info, but that has changed, and almost all non modelling items are in a separate newsletter, and the Journal is more like a modelling magazine now. I always thought it was a good publication, but now under Grahame Hedges' editorship, it is close to excellent. For UK folks, £2.67 per issue is, to me, a 'no brainer' bargain.

Secondly, I also wonder, will N Gauge Now be a sustainable magazine, or will it wither and die in a short time? Is the UK N Gauge market large enough for both N Gauge Now and the N Gauge Society's Journal, not even allowing for N gauge material that a author might send in to commercial mags? And are there enough N Gauge authors, to sustain it, as well?

Yes, there are 2 US N scale only magazines, but I believe the market for N scale in the US is much larger than the UK's N Gauge market. And both have struggled in the past, with mailing dates and acquiring articles.

Just wondering.

Jim F

Sprintex

Quote from: JimF on June 27, 2015, 11:43:18 AM
I do wonder, though, first, why anyone who does want a N Gauge only publication to read, is not a member of the N Gauge Society?

There could be a number of reasons for not being a member other than getting a bi-monthly magazine as there is so much more to the NGS.

Paul

JimF

I can understand that people do not want to join any club, society, whatever. I myself am not the type to do so. One year as a member of a HO club, way back in the 70's, and a year or so in a N scale modular club, about a decade ago, are the extent of my club experiences. I definitely do not feel part of the Society, being this far from the UK, but seriously doubt I would feel any different if I did live there.

My 'wondering' came from the posts where people seemed to be jumping up and down about a N Gauge only magazine, which seems to be having some problems getting it's act together, and is more expensive, where one well established one already exists.

Jim F

georgehgv

It is my opinion the N Gauge Society Journal is poorly printed, the photographs amateur and the text and editorial is too anorak, a least for me.

The N Gauge Now publication on the other hand has good photographs, quality paper and modern informal appealing articles and a good read, long may it continue Howard.

I look forward to the next edition albeit delayed but I know it will be worth the wait.

Newportnobby

I'm sure those who have subscribed to N Gauge Now have received a letter from Howard Foy detailing the reasons for lateness and they all seemed quite reasonable to this reader.
As to whether there is room in the marketplace for this publication alongside the already well established NGS Journal, Jim, I think you'll find many complaints about the 'monthlies' in that articles/reviews on N gauge can be few and far between sometimes and so a dedicated mag for N Gauge will hopefully earn its rightful place on the retailers shelves, although the outlets are very limited at present.
We N gaugers are blessed with this gauge specific forum in which we can read many reviews/how to's etc so I really don't think two 'hard copy' publications (NGS Journal and N Gauge Now) could be counted a surfeit.

JimF

Hmm, there must be 2 different Journals out there.

My copies, from the past year, are very close to being equal to the commercial mags, in print quality, photo quality, and article quality.

And other posts in this thread have commented on some of the poor quality of photos in N gauge Now.

I'm starting to feel that some folks opinion is more based on personal feelings regarding the Society itself, or perhaps officers of the Society, maybe even the editor of the Journal, instead of just objectively looking at the magazines themselves.

Jim F

JimF

All,

Just to be clear, even though I, myself, can not justify $16. per issue, I really do hope N Gauge Now magazine is a success. The more N gauge specific info that is available, the better.

My 'wondering' just came about from other comments posted earlier in this thread.

Jim F

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations