The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Starts Channel 5 Friday 5th October.
Is this going to be a serious programme or portray us as weirdos with long/no hair and beards with this mornings breakfast in them playing trains (OK - we all play trains and I can't answer for the other bit)?

Dorsetmike

Paul Tyer of Peedie models is on the "Track laying Ninjas" team  according to his website, not sure which episode.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 22, 2018, 09:16:45 PM
Paul Tyer of Peedie models is on the "Track laying Ninjas" team  according to his website, not sure which episode.

"Track laying Ninjas" ???
Already sounds like the prog is dumbed down. Presumably there'll be "Team Sparky" and a "Fat Controller" in there somewhere ::)

Paul-H

weirdos with long/no hair and beards

Don't forget the lack of personal hygiene so typical at the average train show ;)
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Ted

There's no excuse for poor hygiene, should be hosed down before entry!

Anyway, I'll take a look at this show... hopefuly it's not cringeworthy.
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Dorsetmike

From Googling there are 10 teams, 2 per episode plus a final episode. They start with a 10x5 baseboard, can't find much more detail. A few mentions of team names on model forums.

Has anybody watched Channel 5 on computer, not having a TV that will be my only option.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

weave

Hi,

Sounds interesting. Googled a bit of it. Looks like it starts 28th September.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DGPFrZP-5U

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers weave  :beers:

mickeyflinn

Dorsetmike

original schedule was 28sept, but now rescheduled to October 5th
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Bealman

There's a piece in the September issue of RM about it. Steve Flint is one of the judges.

Seems a bit lightweight for my taste. But I don't watch the likes of Masterchef and the Bachelor either.....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 22, 2018, 10:45:19 PM
original schedule was 28sept, but now rescheduled to October 5th

Another model railway release date slips ::) :D

Ali Smith

I doubt if they will deliberately hold us up to ridicule, my concern is that it seems to be some kind of competition, a race even. This is not what our hobby is about. If I wanted a competitive pastime I'd take up a sport and get some much needed exercise into the bargain.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ali Smith on September 23, 2018, 08:47:15 AM
I doubt if they will deliberately hold us up to ridicule

I'm quite sure the intention is not there but the problem with these types of programme is if they are not presented in a careful and serious manner then the general viewing public makes assumptions and, let's face it, to a certain extent we're typecast anyway, as are the chaps currently re-creating WW2 air battles on TV using radio controlled models. :hmmm:

kirky

Quote from: Ali Smith on September 23, 2018, 08:47:15 AM
I doubt if they will deliberately hold us up to ridicule, my concern is that it seems to be some kind of competition, a race even. This is not what our hobby is about. If I wanted a competitive pastime I'd take up a sport and get some much needed exercise into the bargain.
I agree entirely. Its what I like about the hobby too - its far more about co-operation than it is about competition. Whats the point of making it competetive? Seems to me to be entirely superficial. Still, I'll be watching it as I watched that stupid Dick Drawbridge programme, and the James May one and the Garden Railways (Mark Found) thing that was on a sky channel ... I could go on. Actually I think the most useful model railway programme (broadcast TV) I've ever seen has been Bob Symes Model World from the 70's(?) which is available on youtube.
Just my 2p.

Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Paul-H

Can't remember it's name now, but there was thst stupid one were they built IIRC a model railway that was claimed to be at the Bluebell railway, which included a secret nuclear reactor and a murdering Doctor, (Train Town) or something like that,  quite an awful program, with an equally awful presenter, on par with the awful Mark Found.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations