NGF Donations

Started by guest2, June 14, 2011, 10:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

mr magnolia

This is perhaps a daft place to be asking, but is there some more information somewhere about Air Commodore [retired] E H Jenkins 1920 - 2013, No.34 entry RAF Halton, in whose memory the forum is sponsored this month?

Was he a member here?  Or related? Was he a modeller at all?

It would be nice to share some knowledge of someone who probably did a lot for all of us, judging from his age and rank.

Hope this isnt too nosey.

Donald

mr magnolia

Cheers - I'll raise a glass to both of them later today!

guest311

Quote from: mr magnolia on May 02, 2014, 11:28:36 PM
This is perhaps a daft place to be asking, but is there some more information somewhere about Air Commodore [retired] E H Jenkins 1920 - 2013, No.34 entry RAF Halton, in whose memory the forum is sponsored this month?

Was he a member here?  Or related? Was he a modeller at all?

It would be nice to share some knowledge of someone who probably did a lot for all of us, judging from his age and rank.

Hope this isnt too nosey.
Donald

He was my Father. joined the RAF as a Halton apprentice, then was posted to France with 12 sdn, got out via Cherbourg rather than Dunkirk.
He remained in engineering all through his career, being commissioned and serving in various areas including Egypt in the 50's. He was CO at RAF Newton in the mid-late 60's when I joined up, and retired in the 70's.

He had two brothers who followed him into the RAF, one was killed in 1941 when the aircraft he was in crashed near Heliopolis, and the other became a flying instructor, but was killed in 1955 when the Meteor he was flying crashed, killing both him and the student he was instructing.

As far as I know he never went on the european tour in the 40's, being a 'penguin' all his career, which is probably how I come to be here, bearing in mind the horrendous casualty rates of those taking the tour.  :smiley-laughing:

cheers

alan

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Only Me on May 02, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
Him and my grandad went on tour in mainland Europe together on a number of occassions in the 40's!!...

Sounds like a similar sort of tour my Uncle Den went on with 6 friends around the same time. I never really knew him but I am advised that the Germans in particular we rather friendly and gave him a very warm reception! ;)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

guest311

reminds me of the joke, which I'm sure I've seen on here, about the BOAC aircraft  taking ages to line up to land at Berlin airport.

finally the german air traffic controller calls them on the radio "Speedbird 59, have you not been to Berlin before ?" to which a very laconic voice replies "Oh yes, tons of times, but it was always at night, and we never landed "

:smiley-laughing:

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: class37025 on May 03, 2014, 10:55:27 PM
reminds me of the joke, which I'm sure I've seen on here, about the BOAC aircraft  taking ages to line up to land at Berlin airport.

finally the german air traffic controller calls them on the radio "Speedbird 59, have you not been to Berlin before ?" to which a very laconic voice replies "Oh yes, tons of times, but it was always at night, and we never landed "

:smiley-laughing:

Could actually be true. I did once meet an elderly German who told me much the same about London; he had only seen it from the air!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

mr magnolia

Thanks for the info on your father Alan; you've picked a nice way of remembering him (indeed, honouring him!)

Donald

talisman56

Is there any way of donating to the Forum running costs that don't involve creating a PayPal account? I'm sure when I donated earlier in the year you could donate through PayPal without actually creating an account - this route now seems closed to us who are PayPal-phobic...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

David Asquith

Don't know if this might have been aired before but would there be any merit in working out the minimum amount each of us could donate at a set time to meet the target?  Now I've typed it  I realize the process and administration might be a bit unwealdy.  Would the amount from each of a multitude of members be too miniscule to make work?  Is the usual £55 per month target enough?  Could more be used?

Dave

Tank

Thanks for asking Dave.  The amount that I ask for works out well, what with the advertising money as well.  Members are most generous at always making sure that we reach our goal

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations