How different age groups react to new technology

Started by Dorsetmike, July 30, 2014, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

My wife and I are "old souls" I guess. We use technology when it's needed, but we both hate texting, and neither of us have smart-phones. We're old-school flip-phone people. I just don't need to be in that much constant contact with people all day. Unless it's a TRUE emergency, I'll see you when I see you.

Case in point - my beloved 14 and 11 year old daughters have been with my parents since last Sunday. I have no idea what they're up to. I miss them dearly, but I don't need a running commentary on what they're doing. I know that they're safe and having fun, and IF they're not safe my wife and I will be the first to know. I think it's nice to let relationships breathe.

What I want to know with all the texting and phone calls (the other fellas at work must field dozens a day to/from their wives and kids) is this: What's everyone "talking" about? What's so important these days that could wait 15-20-30 years ago?

I was late to the World of chatting and boards and "found" them back in 2005 and that's a cool way to connect with like-minded people that you don't get in person. Not too many people have my level of interest in Heavy Metal, Track & Field, and Trains in person, so the internet is a nice way to connect on that level.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Newportnobby

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on August 01, 2014, 08:59:57 PM
What's everyone "talking" about? What's so important these days that could wait 15-20-30 years ago?

I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post, Scott but have quoted the bit above as my stepdaughter could spend all day with friends but the minute she was home again would be calling them up on the landline. I won't get away with being sexist...........but what's that all about then? ???
Sorry, but most of what I hear is, to quote Mr T. "jibber jabber" although I guess it's meaningful to them :confused2:

scotsoft

I also agree with your post Scott but I am afflicted with being a gadget freak, so I crave new technology.

When I used to go on a hill walking holiday on a small Scottish Island that had no mobile signal and no internet, I went through technology withdrawal.  That did pass and I always enjoyed the holiday but when sailing back to civilisation and my mobile found a signal again, I was so happy  :D

cheers John.

d-a-n

I love the technology of the current age and it excites me to think of what might be to come in my lifetime, I'm 30 now and hope to see lots more cool innovation!
It seems that children, tweenagers, teenagers and young adult's missed out on what I had as a kid; a childhood where easy-to-access Internet was not the norm - there are people only a few years younger than me who have never known a world without the Internet, mobiles, even portable computers! I'm glad to have had a childhood where you went outside to play, made plans which you needed to stick to, carried 10p for the phone, where you had to wait a few days for letters/photos to come back and where you found out information from books and speaking to people. When a teacher suggested in 1998 that I researched something on the Internet, I scoffed and photocopied some stuff from the library but now, most research begins online - a wonderful revolution.
My photography business is dependent on technology to communicate quickly and on the move otherwise I could lose potential clients. I use cutting edge digital SLRs and need a powerful computer to process the images and high speed Internet to move gigabytes of images around. I wouldn't call myself a Luddite.
However.
I'm now writing more letters than ever to people, taking all my personal photographs on film and even delivering a few photographs for couples from 'proper' film. These things require more consideration which means higher quality results; their tangible nature makes them more timeless and less throwaway.

EtchedPixels

Technology by generation

"What's a video recorder ?"
Flashing 12:00
Clock set correctly
"What's a video recorder ?"
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

I'm pretty indifferent but I most admit I do believe you have to live with it. It's actually great, sometimes. I have said on another thread how I check the NGF on the phone ( I'm on it now!) and my daughter left Australia on Thursday night for Istanbul. I not only got a text from her when she got to Abu Dhabi and then when she arrived safely at Istanbul, but photographs as well! How cool is that?!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dodger

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on August 01, 2014, 08:59:57 PM
My wife and I are "old souls" I guess. We use technology when it's needed, but we both hate texting, and neither of us have smart-phones. We're old-school flip-phone people. I just don't need to be in that much constant contact with people all day. Unless it's a TRUE emergency, I'll see you when I see you.

I agree with you entirely, Scott. I used to like new technology about 20 years ago, but it has now become ridiculous. It is becoming impossible to enjoy visiting an eating establishment, travel on public transport or even walk down the street without being disturbed by people using technological equipment. And mobile phone users I don't wish to hear every word you say, most of it is private to you.

Prehaps it is time to ban it in public places.

Dodger

mereman

At 61 I love most new (ish) tech but hate with a real passion mobile phones ;)

Love computers I build them as a hobby, but phones yuk I hate being anywhere and having to overhear some idiots "thoughts" via the dread phone :- rant over  :D
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Newportnobby

I guess these numpties don't realise they're

Frying what brain cells they have
Getting repetitive strain injury from texting so much
Possibly committing suicide by texting as they walk into traffic (human and vehicular)
Bankrupting themselves in an effort to have the next 'must have' version

Personally I think anyone texting whilst walking deserves all they get and I, for one, just let the silly buggers walk straight into me/the road >:D

dodger

Quote from: newportnobby on August 02, 2014, 02:13:11 PM
I guess these numpties don't realise they're

Frying what brain cells they have
Getting repetitive strain injury from texting so much
Possibly committing suicide by texting as they walk into traffic (human and vehicular)
Bankrupting themselves in an effort to have the next 'must have' version

Personally I think anyone texting whilst walking deserves all they get and I, for one, just let the silly buggers walk straight into me/the road >:D

Quite agree with you, NPN but I have been sworn at for getting in the texter's way!

Dodger

Dorsetmike

As I'm getting older and a little less steady on me feet I can get away with bumping into them and screwing up their texting  >:D
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations