Second hand train

Started by gman3000, July 21, 2014, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman3000

Hi, I have brought second hand train, it's in very good condition.only thing to get it going I have to rock it back and fourth. Sometimes though this doesn't work?

Thanks

Bealman

All I can say, mate, (in all honesty)... if you have to do that, it ain't in good condition!  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

How about letting us have more details about it and, if possible, a picture?

gman3000

Bachmann conrail. B23
Going to ask for refund.

Malc

Probably for the best. If that fails, Bachmann do a repair service for £25, and there are others (BRLines for one) who offer a similar service.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tom U

I am a total newbie to railway modelling, but I know mechanical stuff:  I would say that if it needs rocking too & fro to get going it is either gears locking up and needs rocking to free them, or the electrical pickups on the wheels dirty and not making good contact and needs rocking to clean a contact area.  As it was sold as "good condition" I would try to return for a refund. 

gman3000

Yes I've email to say sending back.  Just getting started and don't want to pay just yet for serving!

gman3000

Awaiting to hear from seller

Steve.T

Hope you can return it and not loose out too much.

Although it seems like saving money you need to be wary buying 2nd hand, especially if really cheap.
Unfortunately you nearly always get what you pay for (and often on auction sites you get a lot less).

We probably all do it to start with, I know I did and ended up re-selling many of the engines at a loss.

When starting out it is really worth while to get a reliable engine and a few decent rolling stock.
Nothing more likely to put you off the hobby than having an engine that doesn't move smoothly, or start every time, or having rolling stock that derails all the time.
If money is tight better to start off with a small engine (usually some good bargains of older stock on Hattons or Rails of Sheffield and other shops) and to get fewer but better rolling stock.

After a short while when a bit more experienced then it is easier to repair and know some of the faults of older stock if you do want to go this way.

Not saying there is no good 2nd hand stuff out there, there's plenty but be careful. Even good 2nd hand stock does not come real cheap in most cases.

I have not been doing this long but have learnt this the hard way.

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations