Tour de France 2014

Started by Newportnobby, July 17, 2014, 12:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Certainly a good show of strength. Surprised to see Porte struggle so much. He's clearly well out of contention.

Nibali's to lose for sure.

Luke Piewalker

Yeah, seeing Porte break so early was a bit of a shocker. Still some serious mountains to come and anything could happen, but he's got a pretty good grip on it at the moment. Think by the time we get to the TT it'll be moot...

njee20

Nibali's not the greatest TTer, but not are any of the guys around him, so shouldn't be much of an issue anyway!

Newportnobby

I guess we'll have to see what happens come the TT but what struck me yesterday was the way the major teams seemed to implode. Poor Nibali had to do what he did with virtually no help from the rest of the Astana squad, and Sky were just nowhere on the pace either :unimpressed:

Luke Piewalker

He's good enough in the TT that it probably won't make a difference.
The Astana squad did their job throughout the day I would say, creating the platform for him.

Newportnobby

Exciting days racing in the mountains yesterday, with some stunning Alpine scenery thrown in free :thumbsup:
As some of the teams have lost their prime riders through accidents, some have taken the attitude of "To hell with it, I might as well go for it", but yesterdays climb to 2300mtrs above sea level certainly sorted a few out :hmmm:
A gentle day today - just ( :D) 227kms of fairly flat/downhill riding to Nimes.
I'm looking forward to the sections in the Pyrenees

njee20

It suggests a much cleaner race than in the past all the yoyo performances! Utter carnage, and great to watch!

red_death

I'm surpised Porte has struggled so much - clearly not in the greatest form.

I've really enjoyed watching Pinot and Bardet go against each other.

Nibbles looks to have it all under control barring a catastrophe.  He's a good enough TTer to get by.  The only person who might be able to challenge him is possibly Tejay Van Garderen, but he probably needs to get some time back in the Pyrenees to stand a chance and I don't realistically see him taking time out of Nibbles on a mountain stage.

I loved the fact Sagan pulled a wheelie one-handed and saluted with the other hand at the end of one of the mtn stages!

Newportnobby

Longest day of the Tour today in the Pyrenees and it really sorted a few out in the General Classification (just over 6 hrs in the saddle) :goggleeyes:
Shortest but probably hardest day tomorrow.
I'll say no more in case some will be watching the highlights later on tonight :zippedmouth:

Newportnobby

Viva Vincenzo :claphappy:
He just blew everyone else away today and that surely means he has won the TdF  this year.
Majke managed to do enough to retain the King of the Mountains polka dot shirt, and the French were just fighting amongst themselves for position.
Epic day :thumbsup:

marco neri

..and the winner is.....the man from Sicily.. :claphappy:
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Newportnobby

Smashing finale to the TdF with Vincenzo Nibali taking the overall honours after some 80 hours in the saddle covering some 3600kms.
A super victory :claphappy:

marco neri

...le Tour de France.......the hardest and stronger ride in the world....honours and claps to all the winners in the past, the present and the future..
:claphappy:
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations