Personal view of some of Norfolks rail days out

Started by mereman, August 23, 2014, 02:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mereman

If anyone have read my Days out then you will know I've done most of those in Norfolk. So I'll give my thoughts on them and score out of 10.
Be aware this is my thoughts, remember I like kettles so it will be a bit unfair to some.

First up Wroxham Miniature World.

This is the newest attraction in Norfolk only opened this year. It consists of at the moment 4 layouts (N, OO, HO and G) plus a large Scalextric layout, well about 4 layouts. Also Lego some dolls and a few others. They are just starting to build a new very large OO layout which they aiming to be the worlds largest.

My thought well worth a visit. If you go try to find all the "hidden" objects in the layouts.

Score 7/10  I will go again.

Mid Norfolk Railway.

So far I've never managed to get there when they are running a steam service :( The ride is good but as much as I love South Norfolk it's not the best scenery. We go once or twice a year early season. It's used by the locals as a proper service. I liked it but marked down until I manage to try the steam service.

Score 6/10

Bressingham steam gardens

Hard for me to mark this. It's my local attraction and we have a season ticket. It was started by Alan Bloom back in '61 as a extra to his very successful Nursery and gardens, it was the biggest of it's kind in Europe. Alan was steam nut.

I have to say it's looking a bit run down now the narrow gauge lines still run but none of the full size Engines can steam now. I think they all need boiler work but it seems the money isn't there to repair them. They still have a lot of machines including the oldest portable Burrell engine and it still works. They also have a 0 4 0 - 0 4 0 standard gauge engine very rare now.

Score 6/10

Bure Valley Railway

I love this narrow gauge railway. Very clean regular service steam and diesel. It also has a excellent shop not just selling the normal "crap" but a full range of Dapol and Farish  engines and rolling stock and most other things you need for a layout. The downside for me it always costs a lot when I go there, must have a new Engine :o

The train ride is very good and at Wroxham they have a well stocked second hand book shop most book are about £1 some a re more  but can make some real saving on buying new.

Score 8/10 another regular trip for me

North Norfolk Railway

Went there for the first time Yesterday. I'm still in shock about how good is was. I'm finding it hard to knock any points off. It's clean the Engines look almost new both Steam and Diesel. The staff/volunteers are friendly and helpful, this goes for all the attractions tbh. Really nice run to Holt. If you like Mk 1 carriages you will love this one.

Trying to find a downside... can't think of any

Score 9.5/10

Bittern line

Added this because of yesterday. A ride through north Norfolk's lovely scenery. More laid back staff then on the main line, stations (not that many most are halts) are clean and well cared for, you can tell that most are now not run by the train operator.

Score 7/10 I would suggest if you are going to the North Norfolk Railway and starting from around Norwich take the Bittern line for a full day out of trains.

I will repeat these are my personal thoughts.
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

glenng

I totally agree  :thumbsup: with your comments about the NNR cannot fault the railway at all going down there again next week for the gala.
The Gala Locomotives are....
Visiting:
GWR 78xx 7820 Dinmore Manor - from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway which will be arriving in early August.
LMS Black 5 45305 - which will arrive by mainline!

LNER Class B12 8572
LNER Class B1 61306 Mayflower - Newly based at the NNR!
BR Standard 4MT 76084
LMS Black 5 44767 George Stephenson
BR Standard 9F 92203 Black Prince –
0-6-0T Ring Haw

Newportnobby

Thanks for the reviews, Mike. Shame it's the 'wrong side' of the country for me :(

bluedepot

I really enjoyed nnr diesel gala earlier this year

I hope they can extend their line one day or run to cromer

Tim

glenng

Cromer is in the plan for next year all being well.  :thumbsup:

mereman

Should make a really nice run and I'll be able get off the Bittern line in Cromer :)
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Chris

I shall be at the NNR next weekend too for their steam gala. Definitely promises to be a super event.

The main issue with running to Cromer is the Sheringham-Cromer line being part of the network, so all locos that run on that section have to be mainline certified, unless the future plan is to buy up this stretch off Network Rail.

As for the Mid-Norfolk Railway, this line does not work as a steam line for me as all their coaches bar two are mk2s, and in my view steam engines with mk2s doesn't look right.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations