Powerful vacuum cleaners to be outlawed imminently

Started by Pengi, August 24, 2014, 07:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrippa

Next directive from The Reichsfuhrer, I mean EU, all rail modellers to switch to T gauge
to reduce consumption of power and materials. Locos limited to hauling 1 wagon.

BTW, the 19th century atmospheric railways would be banned also as I'm sure
their vacuums would need a bit more than 1600 watts.

Further BTW, if you model these you don't need a loco . Money saving tip. :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

daveg

... and what about the hydrogen fuel cell that Honda and others have been working on?

James May drove the Honda in the USA some time ago but I think the TG link has been taken down now.

Dave G

sparky

Will hydrogen fuel cells be nmra compliant ...I hope they will work with my powercab :hmmm:

Tom U

I had a bad dream last night...the Grim Reaper came for me, but I beat him off with the vacuum cleaner hose.  Wow, talk about Dysun with death!!

EtchedPixels

Small point: China has a its own big set of problems but it is implementing a lot of green energy policies (not always one environmentalists approve of for other reasons like a certain large hydro scheme) - including of course rail ones, and has set itself some very stiff targets. They are also trying very hard to at least move from coal to gas as part of a stop gap, and they continue to make the worlds cheapest solar panels. They just have a huge set of problems of scale and where they are coming from.

They are also about the open people successfully investing in de-desertification by planting entire new forests and making it work.

At times they are way ahead of us too: they banned thin-wall plastic bags long before we did.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Rabs

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 25, 2014, 02:01:13 PM
At times they are way ahead of us too: they banned thin-wall plastic bags long before we did.

Of course, that argument isn't as clear cut as people think either:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291023/scho0711buan-e-e.pdf
Basically, when you consider that a 'bag for life' type bag takes between 10 and 100x as much energy to manufacture (depending on if it's plastic or fabric and how sturdily it is made) you have to re-use them a lot before you break even on disposable bags.  And that's before you consider re-using the disposable ones (probably get 2-3 uses before they tear).

EtchedPixels

Most of the countries that banned them did so because of the other environmental impacts (litter etc) as well. Denmark took action in 1994, Bangladesh banned them entirely in 2002. China in 2008, and the EU requires member states cut the use by 80% for 2019.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations