A day out

Started by mereman, August 22, 2014, 09:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mereman

Taken Grandson on another train day out today. This time Modern or as close to as we get in the east of England train from Diss to Norwich. Then onto the Bittern line by DMU. To end up at Sheringham to have a ride on a Steam train on the Poppy line (North Norfolk Railway).

The price from Diss to Sheringham wasn't bad at all for the 3 of us off peak it cost just under £25. This also gave us a 10% discount on the Poppy Line.

The trip to Norwich was ok but the modern train lacked character and the carriages were tired. Every time a new company takes over the line they promise new trains and rolling stock and all we seem to get is a paint job, not even that with the last change for most of the carriages all that seem to have been done was the transfers that said One had been removed and the new name bunged on. The holder of the route this time is Abellio. Anyway rant over. 8) One thing I have to say is the staff were very good.

Bittern line is nice. This is a partnership between Norfolk County Council and the franchise holder Abellio at the moment. Set up in 1997 when the then holder, Anglia Railways, wanted to close the line. The stations and halts looked cleaner then the main line ones. Again the staff were very good.

Now to the main event the Poppy line. The train to Holt was a very nice and clean B12 in Apple Green.

The line runs Sheringham to Weyborne where the workshops here to Holt. There is a halt at Kelling Heath Park but the steamers can only stop on the return journey as it's on a slope. Diesels can stop both ways. We stayed on the train to Holt but stopped off at Weybourne on the return trip.

A few pics

The return we started on a B1 but were back on the B12 after we stopped to look around Weybourne. One thing I must say the old carriages, mainly BR Mk 1s, were so comfortable compared to the newer stuff.

As before link to my Photobucket Album http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/mereman_1/library/Diss%20to%20Norwich%20to%20Sheringham%20to%20Holt

Be the last using Photobucket as it  almost full on to Picasa for my next outing. I'll pay when I run out of free ones ;D
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

port perran

Thanks for the pictures. Looks as if you had a great day out.
The B12 looks a great machine (foe an Eastern loco that is) :doh:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Very nice pics, Mike, and that station and signal box look a credit to everyone who runs the railway :thumbsup:

Caz

The signal box at Holt came from the old Stalham station I believe, I am sure that was what was said when I travelled on the line many years ago.  Lovely line, often used to go up to Cromer and Sheringham to sample the lovely crabs (making my mouth water just thinking about them)   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Sprintex

Quote from: Caz on August 22, 2014, 09:54:09 PM
often used to go up to Cromer and Sheringham to sample the lovely crabs (making my mouth water just thinking about them)   :)

Crab, the only food I'm allergic to, nearly ended up in hospital twice before I found out the cause :goggleeyes:

Ho hum :offtopicsign:

Paul

mereman

Quote from: Sprintex on August 22, 2014, 10:56:59 PM
Quote from: Caz on August 22, 2014, 09:54:09 PM
often used to go up to Cromer and Sheringham to sample the lovely crabs (making my mouth water just thinking about them)   :)

Crab, the only food I'm allergic to, nearly ended up in hospital twice before I found out the cause :goggleeyes:

Ho hum :offtopicsign:

Paul

Thinks: Should I report Paul for going off topic  :smiley-laughing:
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Bealman

Nah... I have a PhD in going off topic, Mike.

Great pics! As Nobby says, seems to be a very tight operation.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scottmitchell74

:greatpicturessign: Thanks for sharing!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations